Not open for further replies.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Nothing to lose so I will take it apart when I have time and see if there is an obvious problem inside. The 510 is ok as it still easily pushes down and comes back up when pressure is let off it. But it seems to me to be more of some kind of software issue rather than hardware.

I reflashed the latest software and still the same thing.

Let it set off for 30 minutes or so and turn on. It works fine for about an hour or two. Then shuts down. Turn it back on and it works for about 5 puffs then shuts down with the Insane vape screen like when you turn it off. Turn it back on and it will do the same thing again. 4 or 5 puffs and shutdown. It is like it thinks the board is hot or something like that. It is not even warm nor is the battery, the tank or the device.

I tried several different tanks, the same thing happens. Several different batteries (known good) and the same thing. It worked great for month before starting this[/QUOTE

Is this still under warranty? I have one as well but haven’t used it much.

Reactions: 52anddone

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Nothing to lose so I will take it apart when I have time and see if there is an obvious problem inside. The 510 is ok as it still easily pushes down and comes back up when pressure is let off it. But it seems to me to be more of some kind of software issue rather than hardware.

I reflashed the latest software and still the same thing.

Let it set off for 30 minutes or so and turn on. It works fine for about an hour or two. Then shuts down. Turn it back on and it works for about 5 puffs then shuts down with the Insane vape screen like when you turn it off. Turn it back on and it will do the same thing again. 4 or 5 puffs and shutdown. It is like it thinks the board is hot or something like that. It is not even warm nor is the battery, the tank or the device.

I tried several different tanks, the same thing happens. Several different batteries (known good) and the same thing. It worked great for month before starting this

Thas why my gut, a sketchy board connect (weakest link). Hope it's that simple for ya. But I always say check the air filter first. Wish I could get a board for my ZNA as cheap as a Slice.

Good luck. :)

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
OK sloppy work from who ever put the mod together

Found the issue Immediately, I am actually surprised at this point that it ever worked at all. Must have been pushed up against the port just enough to work until it started getting loose of barely connected and worked loose. The Red Wire lead on the positive pen was just laying in there up against the board port as the solder never took or was snapped off when the board installed in the shell. I desoldered the board connector and resordered the wire to the board connector.

Works fine now.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
OK sloppy work from who ever put the mod together

Found the issue Immediately, I am actually surprised at this point that it ever worked at all. Must have been pushed up against the port just enough to work until it started getting loose of barely connected and worked loose. The Red Wire lead on the positive pen was just laying in there up against the board port as the solder never took or was snapped off when the board installed in the shell. I desoldered the board connector and resordered the wire to the board connector.

Works fine now.

Congrats. I'm psychic. Along with quite a few PC tech's I've met in my day. Makes for more billable hours. :D

Also a good recommendation for takin these things apart, strippin and reskinning (or whatever). Hmmm, mebe somebody could make a biz out of that…the cerakoted/powder coated/dial your own skin Custom Splice. Some of us certainly have enough of 'em, lol.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The Homhtech Slice LE I got has started acting weird.

It works fine for several hours. Then it starts shutting down after one puff on it. Turn it back on and it shuts down again immediately. Let it sit for a few hours and turn it on and it works fine for a few hours. Then back to shutdown.

I thought it might be the battery but does the same thing with any battery. I thought it might be the tank but does the same thing with any tank.

The battery, tank nor the atomizer get hot or even warm so it isn't heat.

I would reflash the firmware to the older version but Hohmtech seems to have taken down the firmware they had for download.

Any ideas or has it just gone bad?

Hey Beamslider, I'm looking for any old .dfu files for the Slice for you as I type. If I find any I'll get ahold of you and post here, but so far it's tough sledding. I looked at my 3 Slice's and I have already updated all of them to 1.2.4, I usually keep all old update files but in this case I didn't for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beamslider

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Congrats. I'm psychic. Along with quite a few PC tech's I've met in my day. Makes for more billable hours. :D

MacTechVpr's Psychic Hotline. Good job Mac.:lol::laugh:

I'm still on the lookout for any Old .dfu files for both the G2 and the Slice, I'm intrigued.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I just ordered another Slice from Vaporcube @ the $24 deal (a Red LE this time), this will make (4) Slice and (5) G2's that are in my possession. Still looking for any .DFU files though. Mac, you have any ??

I just got a PM from a friend that said he thought he had some older .DFU update files that he will sent me. That's for both the G2 and the Slice.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I just ordered another Slice from Vaporcube @ the $24 deal (a Red LE this time), this will make (4) Slice and (5) G2's that are in my possession. Still looking for any .DFU files though. Mac, you have any ??

I just got a PM from a friend that said he thought he had some older .DFU update files that he will sent me. That's for both the G2 and the Slice.

Don't. Strictly APL servers this side. Run latest(?) pub Slice (Software 4, 8/16/16, exp menu), zip pack somewhere. If better alt pls LMK.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Don't. Strictly APL servers this side. Run latest(?) pub Slice (Software 4, 8/16/16, exp menu), zip pack somewhere. If better alt pls LMK.

That's the problem I'm running into right now Mac, none of the places I usually got them before is still showing them for DL, not Vaporcube, nor the Hohmtech site have them listed anymore. I'm running out of options. I've done several searches, but no joy.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I just received my Red Slice LE today in the mail from Vapor Cube. I'll prolly open the box and try it out later, just to make sure it works OK. I'd order the other that they have, but I can't warm up to that Teal color, and that's all they have for sale right now, Red and Teal.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
That's the problem I'm running into right now Mac, none of the places I usually got them before is still showing them for DL, not Vaporcube, nor the Hohmtech site have them listed anymore. I'm running out of options. I've done several searches, but no joy.

Tryin to check with some of my PC pals I've set up to see whats they got.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I decided to get a couple more 26650 batteries and grabbed a two of the HohmTech ones. Don't know if they are really 32A continuous but I am sure they are more than enough output for my usage at around 18W anyway. The run time on them is certainly better than the other 26650 batteries I have at 25% longer.

• Informative

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I was reading the spec sheet for the Slice, and came across the 5th line from the bottom, how would one say 0.000001Ω. That would be a good "home science project" to try to get as close as one could to that magic number with a hand built coil. I bet Mac could do it though, I don't even have test equipment that will read that low.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Chip: FSK1, TC-XT Series (T24SMX v3.2)
  • Battery: 26650-powered
  • Temp Control: Ni, SS, Ti, NiCr, K, W, & Ceramic Infused (YES, temp control EVERYTHING. No limits here)
  • Wattage Output; 10W -101W (all modes)
  • Voltage Output; FSK1 Intellichip, automation
  • Temperature Range: 200°F - 700°F
  • 93°C - 372°C
  • Ohm Resistance Range: Flatline - 0.000001Ω - 3Ω
  • Temp/Watt Increments:0.1 (10-49.9: WATTS MODE)
  • 1.0(50-101: WATTS MODE)
  • 1.0°C (TEMP MODE)
  • 10.0°F (TEMP MODE)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I was reading the spec sheet for the Slice, and came across the 5th line from the bottom, how would one say 0.000001Ω. That would be a good "home science project" to try to get as close as one could to that magic number with a hand built coil. I bet Mac could do it though, I don't even have test equipment that will read that low.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Chip: FSK1, TC-XT Series (T24SMX v3.2)
  • Battery: 26650-powered
  • Temp Control: Ni, SS, Ti, NiCr, K, W, & Ceramic Infused (YES, temp control EVERYTHING. No limits here)
  • Wattage Output; 10W -101W (all modes)
  • Voltage Output; FSK1 Intellichip, automation
  • Temperature Range: 200°F - 700°F
  • 93°C - 372°C
  • Ohm Resistance Range: Flatline - 0.000001Ω - 3Ω
  • Temp/Watt Increments:0.1 (10-49.9: WATTS MODE)
  • 1.0(50-101: WATTS MODE)
  • 1.0°C (TEMP MODE)
  • 10.0°F (TEMP MODE)

I can't read it either…but I've prolly been there a few times. :D

No I have little test gear anymore. My last calibrated multimeter involuntarily found a new home a few years back. I've yet to replace it which has saved me mountains of time in terms of added complexity. No, you guys, you've been my test instrument where appraising strain's been concerned. And a marvelous laboratory this has been in ECF along with the hundreds of wonderful folks here in S FL and over the country who've afforded me the opportunity to be of service. Grateful to you all.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I just fired up my newest Slice, the Red LE, and seems to be working Great, although it has the 1.2.3 firmware installed. So far I notice no difference in my Slice's with the 1.2.4 firmware versus this LE. What might the difference be in firmware versions on a practical basis (I'm running a Kanthal 28g, 3.5mm single wire coil in TC/TL mode/xxx) ??

I am noticing the same feel with this Red LE's paint job as I did with my (once) Black SE's paint job (which I had to strip after only 3 weeks of use, due to the paint bubbling and then flaking off), a very slight tackiness sensation to the touch (that's with freshly washed hands mind you), almost like the paint wasn't fully cured. I have learned to wash my hands almost compulsively since I started acquiring these Hohmtech Slice's, to the point that my hands really need added moisturizer applied to them, washing like 12 to 15 times per day on a normal basis.

Are you still looking for the FSK_S_1.2.3 .dfu update file for your Slice Beamslider ?? I have that file on my new Slice LE and could try to get it off and send to you if you would want me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread