Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Can I point out that BE are not a Registered Supplier or Forum Supplier here, please. Nor are they a registered Manufacturer/Wholesaler (there are many of them but they cannot be seen by members, only in private trade forums).

It's worth pointing out that BE's nic base is almost certainly used by many vendors, but there is absolutely no way to trace them as they would certainly not admit to that now.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
In the other thread there was a conspiracy theory that doesn't seem as far fetched now. It wouldn't be that difficult for the FDA or a crazy anti-smoking advocate to open up shop selling nicotine and eliquid and do something like this just to show the world e-cigs are dangerous. I'm not saying I believe this to be the case but it doesn't seem as much of a stretch now.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
This is criminal. Thank you for your work to uncover their misconduct.
I'm just going to play devil's advocate here to keep people on the right track. Just which part is criminal? Is it the part where they sent out some highly concentrated nic liquid, or is the part where they sent out a letter stating that could not possibly happen?

Thing is, mistakes happen all the time. Some mistakes can have very unfortunate results, while others wont cause any harm to anyone. As far as we know, this mistake didn't hurt anyone, thank God. But, they do happen. If it were criminal that they made the mistake, then is it criminal that they bottled it wrong, or criminal that they didn't test?

As far as I can tell, none of the suppliers are testing, so every single one falls under the same scrutiny as BE. Is that what you're trying to say?

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX
In the other thread there was a conspiracy theory that doesn't seem as far fetched now. It wouldn't be that difficult for the FDA or a crazy anti-smoking advocate to open up shop selling nicotine and eLiquid and do something like this just to show the world e-cigs are dangerous. I'm not saying I believe this to be the case but it doesn't seem as much of a stretch now.

I told gordon this was going to come up, and here it is!

I love being right.

Let's not forget that Kurt does have other things to do in his life than test nic and not overwhelm him! I think it is nice to offer to cover the costs of the test if he does test your nic for you though.

It would be in companies' best interest to find a new supplier for their nic if they are using the BE nic, because there will surely be a fallout from all of this.

ETA: If BE can prove that they care about their consumers and that they are taking the correct measures to make sure that their product is safe/top quality, I MIGHT give them a chance; but with the other issues, it's a small chance.

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
so, Kurt: what would be the best test to figure out what already mixed down batches are? i cut all of mine down to what i hope is 18mg and mixed it with vg before sticking it in the freezer. it was originally 100mg. just use the test from e-bay?

tybin, the reason I am doing it this way with multiple titrations per sample, and using the titration curves, is so there is little debate about the results. I would do the same thing with your 18 mg mix, since I assume that is what you calculated it at using what you think is 100 mg. The ebay test will show qualitatively if you are close to what you think it is. But even if you are perfect with indicator-based titrations, there is still a larger error with the method. I want my results to be air-tight. And I also wanted the tests to be done by an established professional chemist with no financial ties to any vendor.

Based on the mass email BE sent out regarding the silliness of even thinking about incorrect nic levels, after br-blue/H2SO4 titrations were done by someone else here, it seemed more technical and exact methods were in order. I would insist on doing this with yours, if for no other reason other than to increase the validity of the data.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
ETA: If BE can prove that they care about their consumers and that they are taking the correct measures to make sure that their product is safe/top quality, I MIGHT give them a chance; but with the other issues, it's a small chance.

Estimated time of arrival?

You might be on to the other thing, though. They're coming for us. I thing big tobacco would be more responsible for this, though. We're showing that we still want to smoke, but don't want their product.

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX
Estimated time of arrival?

You might be on to the other thing, though. They're coming for us. I thing big tobacco would be more responsible for this, though. We're showing that we still want to smoke, but don't want their product.

Edited to Add.

I wasn't the one who said that it was one, just that one would come up lol.

I imagine that if it WAS a conspiracy that you're right, it would be more likely to be the big tobacco's.

mj64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2011
State of Confusion
I'm just going to play devil's advocate here to keep people on the right track. Just which part is criminal? Is it the part where they sent out some highly concentrated nic liquid, or is the part where they sent out a letter stating that could not possibly happen?

Thing is, mistakes happen all the time. Some mistakes can have very unfortunate results, while others wont cause any harm to anyone. As far as we know, this mistake didn't hurt anyone, thank God. But, they do happen. If it were criminal that they made the mistake, then is it criminal that they bottled it wrong, or criminal that they didn't test?

As far as I can tell, none of the suppliers are testing, so every single one falls under the same scrutiny as BE. Is that what you're trying to say?

You raise some good points. Police and court do criminal, this is a forum. Sloppy and dangerous may be happening. But, does it stop at suppliers? Doesn't everyone that did DIY without testing, including me, get a share of the blame? A lot of folks that do DIY share their juice....

Now, what do I test for? Nic content. OK, what else? Pesticides? Other contaminants? Which ones? What tests do I run? What equipment do I use? This is a tough slope.

rkayw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
I'm not an attorney, or anyone remotely close to it that could determine it...so with that in mind...I personally will refrain from throwing any "criminal" verbiage around.

But indeed this is VERY scary!

I've thought about this every single time I've picked up my juice to vape since reading it. I know it's ok as it has not caused me any problems, but it is definitely planted in my mind now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread