How bad is nicotine really for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's said that nicotine is about as bad for you as caffeine. Both have positive and negative attributes, but none are serious health risks. Nicotine patches are prescribed to help memory and other ailments such as Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Researchers Light Up for Nicotine, the Wonder Drug

tobacco has other addictive chemicals than nicotine. One is MAOI's (Monoamine oxidase inhibitors) that make you feel satisfied.

This is your brain on nicotine

OTOH, ecigs don't have any of these chemicals that ARE found in cigarettes.

http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm
Perhaps this list of ingredients that are found in cigarettes is enough to make you want to quit smoking for good!

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
The MAOIs found in tobacco tar are absent from nicotine e-liquid. Some of the substances can have a profound effect on the mood of some individuals, much more so then nicotine.

Nicotine is not that bad in moderation. Like they say, all things in moderation. However, nicotine will slow the body's ability to repair tissues because it constricts blood vessels: limiting full blood flow. Surgeons will often strongly suggest patients quit smoking prior to surgery if the operation can be scheduled some weeks in advance. I know this for a fact. Like most boaters I'm at risk for skin cancer. Just can't avoid sunlight all of the time. I had a spot of skin cancer removed a couple of years ago. If I had quit smoking like the surgeon asked I would have healed faster and with less scarring.

I plan on going zero nic in due time.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
Take it FWIW - the wiki article on nicotine is a good starting point:

Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very toxic in larger doses - not altogether a benign plant but has both positive and negative effects psychologically and physically. In small, controlled doises - like vaping - probably not that harmful at all....but long-term effects are still being debated.

The many additives in cigarette tobacco, filters and paper are definitely scary! Since most good juice vendors use food-grade flavoring, and both PG and VG are GRAS (generally regarded as safe) I'm guessing vaping instead of smoking is not entirely risk-free (since it would obviously be better to inhale nothing but clean air into our lungs) but it's a huge improvement over smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread