How do you check the voltage on an Ego battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
To measure voltage on any device using PWM you need a Digital Multimeter that measures True RMS. These are generally not cheep if you serious i suggest getting a quality meter I suggest Fluke meters as that is what i have used for years as a electrician .

I just tested my ego twist batterys and got a low of 3.23v and a high of 4.94v.
RMS relates to AC as in Root mean square. The voltage is DC is it not. I may be wrong but I was and Electronic Tech. I use a Fluke 115 but that is just my best meter.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
It's pulsed DC. See the other thread linked in my post above for more information on the RMS and True RMS meters. True RMS adds about 30% to the cost of a meter per one article I read. Some will calculate peeks and Duty Cycle and Pulse frequency also. Some e-cigs filter the output with capacitors or other such. Anyway you need a meter that calculates the effective DC voltage properly for testing many, but not all, e-cigs. IDK about the eGo units...how they read on a True RMS vs "standard" meter. Some meters will read Vavg rather than Vrms

Last edited:

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
It's pulsed DC. See the other thread linked in my post above for more information on the RMS and True RMS meters. True RMS adds about 30% to the cost of a meter per one article I read. Some will calculate peeks and Duty Cycle and Pulse frequency also. Some e-cigs filter the output with capacitors or other such. Anyway you need a meter that calculates the effective DC voltage properly for testing many, but not all, e-cigs. IDK about the eGo units...how they read on a True RMS vs "standard" meter. Some meters will read Vavg rather than Vrms

Good to know. Don't have a scope meter since I retired. To fing expensive. So it''s a square wave.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I don't understand the above methods - I have a digital and the best I can do is watch the digits flash by when trying to take a reading. so I need some way to only get the highest reading and have it stay on long enought to read.

This is what you see when you measure PWM on a regular voltmeter. You are seeing the pulses. The highest number is not the true voltage (actually it is likely twice the rated voltage).

To measure voltage on any device using PWM you need a Digital Multimeter that measures True RMS. These are generally not cheep if you serious i suggest getting a quality meter I suggest Fluke meters as that is what i have used for years as a electrician .

I just tested my ego twist batterys and got a low of 3.23v and a high of 4.94v.

You are actually checking the output of the buck boost unit. You would have to open the Twist to check the voltage of the battery before it gets to the boost circuit.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
This is what you see when you measure PWM on a regular voltmeter. You are seeing the pulses. The highest number is not the true voltage (actually it is likely twice the rated voltage).

You are actually checking the output of the buck boost unit. You would have to open the Twist to check the voltage of the battery before it gets to the boost circuit.

Damn I should have thought of that. Very good point. Sealed batteries would be a real pain. Probably not worth it. I damaged the battery on a twist that was fried. Didn't look like a normal battery looked more like a bag. It got hot too. must have dinged it. Love to know the best way to get one apart. Just pulling didn't work for me. I removed the bottom cap first then the shield around it. That is when the battery got mad. I was afraid to dump it in water hot lithium is not suppose to like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread