How hard is it to get in to DIY liqiud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex8039

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
Australia
I'm interested in doing this so I can make a few batches for myself and friends, [removed]. I have no experience with anything like this but I have worked as a chef and been told I have a very complex palette and talent for making things 'taste good', so I'm sure I could eventually come up with some great liquids. What price range am I looking at before I can produce about 10 different liquids at maybe 100-200ml a week (non-commercial)?

So what's the learning curve here? How does one get from 'generic chinese watermelon' quality to something like what 5 pawn makes (which I haven't tried yet by the way). Is such a thing even possible by ordering flavours to home?

Another small question, do people find having access to unlimited nicotine/liquid make them chain vape a lot more?

Last edited by a moderator:

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Quite easy if you can pick up on the different flavors in what you're vaping right now, OR, if you can follow a recipe and imagine what flavor to add to make it better to you. There are numerous flavor companies, and some people might hunt for the best flavor from each, or just try to stick to one company. So it can be as hard or as easy if you want. I'm in the big TFA thread, so the vast majority of those recipes use all TFA flavors. You can certainly follow a recipe and use another brand if you wish, but believe me, all concentrates are different, and the intensity are all different between them. Not only that but say a 5% kiwi flavor is not the same intensity as a 5%mango or 5% guava all from the same vendor.

In that thread we have an 'old grand master' by the name of Bill's Magic Vapor who helps us all out, and posts his creations. Search for his '100dt' posting/method, which has been posted numerous times. The 100Dt stands for his '100 drops test', and if you follow that, you'll be making your own custom great juices in no time.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
    Verified Member
    Jan 24, 2016
    USA
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Forum rules

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Forum Rules

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @alex8039 - This might give some idea of the cost for starting up with DIY. It will definitely vary for everyone, because of the quantities they order, companies they order from, coupons they may use, etc.

I started ordering most of my first DIY supplies and flavorings about a month ago. I'm a bargain-hunter, so here's a very close approximation of what I've spent on it so far:

$16 = (1) 117mL bottle of VG, (1) 120mL bottle PG, and (1) 120mL bottle of 24mg Nic in VG (wanted to try smaller amounts of these 3 things to see if I really liked DIY before ordering larger amounts)

$10 = a variety of 1mL, 3mL, 5mL syringes and the 14ga, 16ga, and 18ga Luer lock blunt tip needles to go on them

$52 = on 28 different TFA flavorings (some are 8mL vials, some are 30mL bottles)

I already had some graduated cylinders, beakers, pipettes, etc. since I was a science teacher for years. So I didn't need to buy those, but most DIY people do. I also have a huge variety of sizes and types of new plastic dropper bottles and screw top ones, too. You'd need to buy several sizes of those, as well.

I used those supplies for about the first 1 1/2 weeks and found that I really like DIY, and I knew I'd never buy ready-made eliquid again. So then I ordered larger quantities of the Nic, VG, and PG, more flavorings, and some amber glass bottles or long-term Nic storage.

$40 + S/H = 1L of Nic Select 100mg Nic in VG from MFS (using it to make my 6mg nic juices...it'll make many many bottles from that 1L)

$10 = (8) 120mL Amber Glass Bottles with phenolic screw off caps

$38.25 incl. S/H = 1 Gallon of VG + 1 Gallon of PG from Bulk Apothecary

$80 = 2 more orders for 21 additional new flavorings and additives I didn't have already + 10 larger sized bottles of those I found I really liked earlier.

So, I figure for the Nic and the flavorings especially...I'm set for a long time for my own needs plus a few friends I make it for that I helped to switch from smoking to vaping. The PG and VG should also last quite awhile, but will be the first things I'll need to reorder I'm sure.

Hope the above sort of helps you "guesstimate" alittle bit.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Oh, I forgot a couple things! I also use Bill's 100DT every time I try out a new recipe. It's a wonderful thing to help you hone in on a taste that fits your exact personal requirements! He also has a large number of recipes, hints, tips, etc. in his Blogs for DIY people. Might want to check them out as well.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    Your smart to start small and work up. I think 10 flavors or so is a good idea. I find the average start up cost about $70USD. Research is the key to getting off to a good start. I would suggest you start with the following.

My blogs will give insight into all aspects of DYI, from steeping to what supplies to have on hand to a basic walk through mixing your first E-juice.

E-Cigarette Forum - dannyv45 - Blogs

Then read hoosier's blogs. These blogs concentrate on fine tuning your mix and give insight on additives.

E-Cigarette Forum - Hoosier - Blogs

Then read Boletus's blog's. These blogs concentrate on formulation of nicotine bases regarding proper calculations methods for figuring Nicotine concentration as well as safety.

E-Cigarette Forum - Boletus - Blogs

Then read Ginger's book "E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid". It is a book which I've contributed to that delivers an in depth easy to follow guide in the art of DYI.

E-Cigarettes 102: DIY E-Liquid

I recommend viewing VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety and bookmark it for future reference. It explains safety in all aspects of DYI.

VPLive Vape Team Episode #82: DIY Safety

then read the stickies at the top of the page.

this will explain a lot of the how's and why's.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    So what's the learning curve here?
    You can start mixing with 2 hours or more reading/knowledge gathering time if you stick to the recipes and natural steep them to the recommended number of weeks. A little reading of Dannyv45 info and about 10 min. of You Tube.
    How does one get from 'generic chinese watermelon' quality to something like what 5 pawn makes
    My guess would be from 3 months to 6 months depending on normal efforts/dedication.
    Is such a thing even possible by ordering flavours to home?
    Not sure what you mean here? In USA, we order from a flavor vendor on the web and have the flavors sent to our home address.
    Another small question, do people find having access to unlimited nicotine/liquid make them chain vape a lot more
    I started vaping at 18 mg., now at zero nic.. For me, with nic, I had to go to 3mg. because chain vaping pours more nic into the body than normal intermittent vaping.
    Bare bones low cost equip: syringe(s),empty bottle,flavor-PG/VG (nic if reqd.) and a calculator.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Something I forgot. Mixing by weight is THE way to go. Simplifies your life, and better consistency with replicating your recipes. Or get pipettes/syringes/blunt tip needles for each flavor, only use 1 per flavoring per recipe to avoid cross contamination, remember you're measuring to the bottom of the miniscus. And ideally,you don't want auto-shutoff on the scale.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread