How long to get off analogs entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
I started vaping seriously Sunday. I had been 2-3 PAD (average 50 I'd say) for the last year and 33/day on average for many years. 29 years total on analogs.

I was able to immediately drop a good amount... been between 10-18 a day analogs but am finding mornings and evenings tough. I used to have 3 analogs with first cup of coffee when I got up. Yesterday I was able to wait 90 minutes for first analog and it was tough. I went to the washroom, brushed teeth and went back to bed to wait it out :laugh: Today I was able to wait 1.75 hrs before first analog and it took me 6 1/2 hours to have 3. So winning there!

I've been using a timer to increase the time between analogs....but things don't work out as planned always. 2 days ago, both batteries died at the same time (I'm getting used to have to charge one after using it).

I know people have had different time frames for leaving analogs so I'm not concerned that this WON'T work for me. I want to make sure that I don't screw it up like previous times I stopped analogs. The analog anxiety is huge for me even if I do know it's not rational.

I am not enjoying ANY analogs so I don't know why reducing more isn't working. But I am feeling like I'm in detox as much as I have when stopping analogs. It's the weird floatiness in head feeling and not able to concentrate.

I have juice in 11, 18 and 24 mg. I'm not having a lot compared to some people - definitely less than 2 ml a day. I tried chain vaping one day and ended up with chest feeling heavy. Using 100% vg. Don't really like the 24 mg - find it too strong and 11 is enough at the time.

Should I just focus right now on the analogs I'm not smoking and not apply more pressure on myself than I need to?

On a positive note - I have asthma and have not had to use inhaler since starting on e-cigs. Given I am dealing with allergies now, this is HUGE for me. My morning cough is gone too!

Last edited:

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
It took me 1 1/2 weeks to totally go off cigarettes. I had been smoking more than 40 years at 1 1/2 pad. Yes, you concentrate on the ones you don't smoke. Some people have a harder time quitting than others. The key is not to stress about smoking cigs, just vape. I didn't want to go through withdrawal symptoms so I mentally allowed myself to at least smoke one cigarette a day. After a week and a half, I realized one day that I had forgotten to smoke my allotted one and quickly lit up. I almost threw up from the horrible taste.

Try to vape the higher nicotine for now. Your body will tell you when you've had enough. Check the forum under health issues (don't remember exactly what it's called) and look at the symptoms of nicotine overdose. I've been off cigarettes now for 1 1/2 years and have gradually decreased the nicotine from 24mg at the beginning to 6mg and sometimes 0 nic.

You have definitely made the right choice to vape instead of smoke and it's only a matter of time when you'll be off the cigarettes.

Tiffany Smeggin Peak

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2012
Wilton IA USA
for me, bought the FIN kit, cut down from 1 pad to maybe 1/2 pad, then bought some juices and a cruddy kit, realized I had spent about $100 decided crap better make this work, so honestly it took me 1 day of bucklin down and saying NO more cigarettes.
I have even held other peoples lit cigarettes, and nope no interest! I would rather vape!

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
It took me 1 1/2 weeks to totally go off cigarettes. I had been smoking more than 40 years at 1 1/2 pad. Yes, you concentrate on the ones you don't smoke. Some people have a harder time quitting than others. The key is not to stress about smoking cigs, just vape. I didn't want to go through withdrawal symptoms so I mentally allowed myself to at least smoke one cigarette a day. After a week and a half, I realized one day that I had forgotten to smoke my allotted one and quickly lit up. I almost threw up from the horrible taste.

Try to vape the higher nicotine for now. Your body will tell you when you've had enough. Check the forum under health issues (don't remember exactly what it's called) and look at the symptoms of nicotine overdose. I've been off cigarettes now for 1 1/2 years and have gradually decreased the nicotine from 24mg at the beginning to 6mg and sometimes 0 nic.

You have definitely made the right choice to vape instead of smoke and it's only a matter of time when you'll be off the cigarettes.

Thanks so much Rosa! I think you're right on the higher nicotine for now!

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah I'd have to say for me about a week. Like Rosa said it depends person to person, just keep it in your head what you wanna do and your goal and it will get easier.Like Rosa also said soon you'll light one up and realize how god awful it tastes.

Every one is tasting awful lol Thanks!

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
for me, bought the FIN kit, cut down from 1 pad to maybe 1/2 pad, then bought some juices and a cruddy kit, realized I had spent about $100 decided crap better make this work, so honestly it took me 1 day of bucklin down and saying NO more cigarettes.
I have even held other peoples lit cigarettes, and nope no interest! I would rather vape!

I'm fortunate in that I went to a B&M and got a decent Ego set-up off the bat. Although I need a passthrough and maybe a stronger battery. It's still better than the convenience store things or Blus!

Good for you and congrats on 10 months!

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
As I recall, I smoked about 1/2 an analong one week after I started vaping, then one week after that I smoked another 1/2. It tasted so bad I never went back. I held onto the 3 or 4 packs I had in my stash for a few more weeks, then pitched them. I was still using smokeless tobacco for a few months after that, and finally managed to kick that, too, which was much harder than the smokes. I smoked for 35 years, but never much over a pack a day.

metrabolic

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I quit the day I got my pv. I smoked about a pack a day for about 11 years, maybe a little less. My husband had a little trouble quitting, after buying his pv he never bought another pack, just finished up the ones that we had left over. Both have not smoked for about 4 months now.

Remember you are addicted to more then just the nicotine in analogs, so you might have some withdrawal symptoms, but they are much less then quitting cold turkey.

Rickg

Aug 17, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
Focus on the ones you don't smoke! Quitting is a process and not everyone can do it overnight. I was only an occasional smoker, about a half a pack in 3 or 4 hours of a night out with friends. I was analogue free for a week, and then a friend brought me a pack of my favorite brand, Gauloises Brunes, from a trip. I smoked a few of those because I was appreciative of the gift. I had another the next night. I haven't touched the pack since. My eGo and 32mg liquid (33% VG) has reduced my cravings to 0. I can even be around smokers now, and I'm happy to just vape away and I'm not tempted to ask for an analogue.

You'll get to the point where you don't want one, but it is going to take some time to wean our body off of the analogues. Since you were smoking so many and for so long you might want to look into WTA juice or snus to help satisfy your cravings. I imagine your body is addicted to the other things in analogues and not just nicotine. I'd also read the threads about vaping technique, and find one that works for you.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I hate to be the one to recommend drugs, but you're asking for others experiences...
I started with 24 mg juice, and about a week after I got a kit, I realized it just plain tasted better - and instead of wanting a cig, I wanted to vape. So I stopped smoking. No cravings, even in a smoky room, or after dinner or whatever. Easy full switchover.
So MAYBE, since you were smoking quite a bit, you could give higher nic a try. Find some 18 or 24 that feels good - different flavor, different blend or something. And vape as needed...maybe in between 2 ml and chain-vaping.:)
Just a thought -- if it takes you a while, it's still a good thing you're doing!!!

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I'd also say one of the tricks is to buy a lot of different types of juices. It will seem like a lot of money but compared to the cost of analogs, it's pennies. I found the pursuit of finding those perfect juices really kept me occupied so much so that when I finally did try a cig, I couldn't stand it.

Hey SharonH,

I stopped smoking on the fourth day of vaping. I was still going for the cigarette out of habit. By the second drag, I couldn't take the smell even though the buzz was so good. The cigarette taste didn't make sense to me anymore because I had a good smelling, tasty, healthier way to get a buzz and relax. I used disposable e-cigs the first three days. The fourth day I bought an eGo, but had half a cigarette before quitting.

A pack would last me three days and I had smoked for 18 years.

I started with 12ml on the disposable ones and then 18 on the eGo. Maybe the higher nicotine helped me make the transition. I allowed myself to vape as much as I wanted to and not just when I would regularly smoke. Plus, I was enjoy the little gadget, the vapor, the whole newness of my little toy. I was watching videos, reading here, and looking at all the online stores.

The smell and all the hiding I did before is gone. I was a closet smoker. I wouldn't smoke at work for fear of people smelling it on me. In the morning before work I had almost a ritual I would go through. I don't have to do that anymore, I get to places on time now.

That's my story. I wish you and all the best of luck.

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
I'm getting there. I ordered an itaste MVP and should have it by Wednesday. I found a good ADV - butterscotch and have it in both 24 mg and 12 mg. The major issue for me is that 1 of my 2 ego 650's died a couple days ago and without passthrough, it's been a pita. I hit $500 saved a few days ago - so felt that the splurge on an itaste kit was worth it. 1320 analogs not smoked is a huge win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread