How long to get off analogs entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moondragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
I smoked a PAD for about 35 years. It took me about 6 weeks to finally go analog free (although I had cut back dramatically). Part of me wasn't sure it was going to work, so I didn't put a lot of pressure on myself. I actually surprised myself when I realized I only had 1 left in my pack, and that it had been there for 3 or 4 days...

It sounds like you are doing the right things - have a good setup, found a good flavor(s) and have several strengths available. Be sure to drink a lot of water so you don't get dehydrated, and celebrate the progress you've made so far in cutting back!

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
I smoked a PAD for about 35 years. It took me about 6 weeks to finally go analog free (although I had cut back dramatically). Part of me wasn't sure it was going to work, so I didn't put a lot of pressure on myself. I actually surprised myself when I realized I only had 1 left in my pack, and that it had been there for 3 or 4 days...

It sounds like you are doing the right things - have a good setup, found a good flavor(s) and have several strengths available. Be sure to drink a lot of water so you don't get dehydrated, and celebrate the progress you've made so far in cutting back!

Thanks and congratulations! Yup, I keep forgetting about the hydration part.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
Questions for you ex smokers (don't you love the sound of that?)... I haven't smoked an analog for 50 days, don't miss it now that I have found vaping! I have tried quitting MANY times, longest has been three months.

I always heard about the dreadful coughing/cleaning of the lungs when peeps first quit. I have actually longed for this each and every time I had quit but I have NEVER coughed during the quit or anytime after. I smoked "literally" before I was born. My mom smoked while pregnant w/me, then around second hand smoke my entire life, worked in bars in college and I, myself was stupid and smoked for 20 years. Am I so far damaged that I won't ever cough up the tar/crap...ever?

I started to get smokers cough while smoking right before I quit and had the horrible yearly bronchitis (UGH so scared about future COPD because of this) so of course coughed horribly When i had this. I know this sounds weird but I wish i would get this "after quit cough" so I feel like I'm healing some what and not have possibly 100% irreversible damage.

Anyone else NOT have any cough when quitting????

PS..forgot to add I smoked Marlboro Light 100's 1- 1 1/2pad. I wasn't by any means a light smoker. More of a chain smoker.

Last edited:

SharonH

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2013
Ontario, Canada & California
Questions for you ex smokers (don't you love the sound of that?)... I haven't smoked an analog for 50 days, don't miss it now that I have found vaping! I have tried quitting MANY times, longest has been three months.

I always heard about the dreadful coughing/cleaning of the lungs when peeps first quit. I have actually longed for this each and every time I had quit but I have NEVER coughed during the quit or anytime after. I smoked "literally" before I was born. My mom smoked while pregnant w/me, then around second hand smoke my entire life, worked in bars in college and I, myself was stupid and smoked for 20 years. Am I so far damaged that I won't ever cough up the tar/crap...ever?

I started to get smokers cough while smoking right before I quit and had the horrible yearly bronchitis (UGH so scared about future COPD because of this) so of course coughed horribly When i had this. I know this sounds weird but I wish i would get this "after quit cough" so I feel like I'm healing some what and not have possibly 100% irreversible damage.

PS..forgot to add I smoked Marlboro Light 100's 1- 1 1/2pad. I wasn't by any means a light smoker. More of a chain smoker.

I've quit cold turkey and now with e-cigs - I've never had a cough when quitting but the coughing I had while smoking analogs went away. That said, with cold turkey I did get a cold soon after stopping and didn't have that with transitioning to e-cigs.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Am I so far damaged that I won't ever cough up the tar/crap...ever?

I've been vaping/ using Swedish snus for over eight months now after I quit analogs and didn't have to deal with the "cleansing". I guess everyone is different, but like you I dealt with the yearly bronchitis, nasty colds, wheezing, ect. It finally was enough when I went to the doctor for another round of antibiotics for my fourth case of bronchitis in a year and he informed me that I had smoked myself to borderline asthmatic. I went on Welbutrin and nicotine gum the next week. Added snus a week after that to take care of the tobacco alkaloids I was missing with the gum. And finally bought a Itaste MVP to play around with when I felt like it. After a couple of months I dropped the Welbutrin and nicotine gum and basically live with the snus and occasional vaping now.

I had a little stuffiness/ congestion at first but nothing major. Consider yourself lucky as the stories I've heard were downright disgusting. :blink:

GeorgeIIII

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Kingsport, TN
I started vaping seriously Sunday. I had been 2-3 PAD (average 50 I'd say) for the last year and 33/day on average for many years. 29 years total on analogs.

I was able to immediately drop a good amount... been between 10-18 a day analogs but am finding mornings and evenings tough. I used to have 3 analogs with first cup of coffee when I got up. Yesterday I was able to wait 90 minutes for first analog and it was tough. I went to the washroom, brushed teeth and went back to bed to wait it out :laugh: Today I was able to wait 1.75 hrs before first analog and it took me 6 1/2 hours to have 3. So winning there!

I've been using a timer to increase the time between analogs....but things don't work out as planned always. 2 days ago, both batteries died at the same time (I'm getting used to have to charge one after using it).

I know people have had different time frames for leaving analogs so I'm not concerned that this WON'T work for me. I want to make sure that I don't screw it up like previous times I stopped analogs. The analog anxiety is huge for me even if I do know it's not rational.

I am not enjoying ANY analogs so I don't know why reducing more isn't working. But I am feeling like I'm in detox as much as I have when stopping analogs. It's the weird floatiness in head feeling and not able to concentrate.

I have juice in 11, 18 and 24 mg. I'm not having a lot compared to some people - definitely less than 2 ml a day. I tried chain vaping one day and ended up with chest feeling heavy. Using 100% vg. Don't really like the 24 mg - find it too strong and 11 is enough at the time.

Should I just focus right now on the analogs I'm not smoking and not apply more pressure on myself than I need to?

On a positive note - I have asthma and have not had to use inhaler since starting on e-cigs. Given I am dealing with allergies now, this is HUGE for me. My morning cough is gone too!

Hi Sharon! Glad to hear that you're a least making the good ole college try at it! I don't know it this will help you or not, but here's a summarized version of my own story:

I started smoking at the age of 12. I din't do it because of Joe Camel or the Marlboro Man. Everyone I knew smoked. Adults, old people, kids like me at the time. I'm now 38 years old, and I just started vaping about two months ago. I started off with the V2 e-cigs and found them to be... useless? Anyway. I went back to smoking a pack and a half a day as usual.

I found the e-liduid (or juice as a lot of vapers call it) and to me this has been the best solution. I go through about 3ml a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I started out at 24mg of nicotene, the highest dosage I could find. Was a rough start till I got used to it, so I had to stick with the "louder" flavors, like cinnamon for awhile till I got used to it. After a month I stepped down to 18mg nic, and I can tolorate the weaker flavors now.

I do still crave a cig every so often, particularly after certain activities. What I like about the vape is that you don't have to consume an entire cig (or two in one sitting as I often did). You consume WHAT YOU NEED, then you put the thing down for awhile. There's no throwing down a freshly lit cig because you have to go back inside the building on the job and tend to some fire that needs to be put out. You pick it up when you feel like you need it. I vape a lot in the mornings and evenings, when my urges are strongest. Mid-day is usually not a problem unless I'm stressed out.

The real key to this Sharon, is that YOU HAVE TO BE READY TO QUIT CIGS. You have to get to a point where you're so tired of all of the taste of them, the mess that comes with them, the holes in your shirts, and pants, and the fact that other people don't like the way that you smell. You have to get tired of all the coughing fits, all of the ugly crap that comes out of your sinuses. And the cost of it, too. I live on a poor man's budget, and quite frankly, between the health issues and the sheer cost of it, I just couldn't do cigs anymore.

The next most important thing, is to recognize the small victories and celebrate them. Smoking became an anti-social state of mind for me. No one wanted to be around me because of it. It just wasn't cool anymore. Since I've quit, I've noticed that more people are approaching me now, starting conversations. I guess I must smell better, I don't know. But I'm learning to become more social after twenty-something years of being withdrawn. It's just another side-effect of having given up such a terrible habit.

Find flavors that you enjoy. Don't be afraid to experiement. Be adventerous! One of the things I enjoy about vaping, is the sheer amount of flavors. I don't bother with tobacco flavors anymore. Can't stand the taste of them. Coffee, fruits, there's all kinds of flavors just waiting to be enjoyed.

And... don't be afraid to invest some extra money in a decent setup. These plastic tanks and cheap batteries will only get you started. You'll want something more robust as time goes on. You vape because you still enjoy certain aspects of smoking. It's a physchological thing. Put a little money into a good battery, a good tank, and some decent coils or wicks. I personally use an Itaste MVP battery with a Pro-Tank II glass tank and plastic drip tip. The variable settings on the battery allow me to find my "sweet spot" depending on the juice I'm vaping at the time. It's a definite improvement over the EVOD starter kit that I was running in the first month.

Most of all, don't be ashamed if you still do smoke on occassion. Look at it this way... even if you still smoke, you aren't smoking a pack and a half every day. You're still smoking way less than you used to. Just pick your vape kit back up and find out what works for you. It'll work out. Trust me. Once you get used to it, you'll find that you're not relying so much on the habit to get you through each and every day, but that you're doing it more for the pleasure than a fix.

Hope this helps you Sharon. Keep at it. It'll be worth it.

GeorgeIIII

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2013
Kingsport, TN
I've been vaping/ using Swedish snus for over eight months now after I quit analogs and didn't have to deal with the "cleansing". I guess everyone is different, but like you I dealt with the yearly bronchitis, nasty colds, wheezing, ect. It finally was enough when I went to the doctor for another round of antibiotics for my fourth case of bronchitis in a year and he informed me that I had smoked myself to borderline asthmatic. I went on Welbutrin and nicotine gum the next week. Added snus a week after that to take care of the tobacco alkaloids I was missing with the gum. And finally bought a Itaste MVP to play around with when I felt like it. After a couple of months I dropped the Welbutrin and nicotine gum and basically live with the snus and occasional vaping now.

I had a little stuffiness/ congestion at first but nothing major. Consider yourself lucky as the stories I've heard were downright disgusting. :blink:

I know what you mean Rebel. When I was smoking I got to a point where my sinuses were so bad they would back up to the point where I would throw up. Several times a day. No matter how much allergy meds I took, no matter how much I blew my nose, it was guaranteed I'd be visitng the porcelin god at some point. I just got so disgusted with it, plus all the money that I had sunk into cigs. You know how it is. You try to quit, but the chain never quite breaks. For me, vaping is an excellent solution because I don't have to deal with the psychological break up of it. I still get to enjoy the habit while getting rid of most of the awful side effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread