How many mistakes do I have to make before I do better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Oh, how I do truly hope the hardest part is behind me, you have no idea how much.

I do know how easy it is to fail and how devastating it will be to me to fail yet again. Think I will be feeling a bit safer and more secure a week or so from now.

But I am taking it still just one day at a time. :)

This thread has helped me a great deal. Thanks again to everyone who has been cheering me on here. :)

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Made it past Day 10, when I fell last time. :)

Into Day 12 smoke free and over 300 analogs avoided! How marvelous does that sound? :)

Been a few rough times getting through Days 9 and 10, must be a trigger point for me in my vaping journey. That's why I waited an extra day to post and celebrate my mini-milestone here.

Taking it a day at a time, but I am hopeful since I got past my previous smokeless point without crashing.

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
The vananaberry is undescribably luscious and delicious..beyond description.

A masterpiece. Truly. Yes, the Age of Miracles has not passed... :)

You are a liquid artist of the highest measure Markfm.

And yes by the way, 36 mg did not make my head implode or the world stop spinning on its axis, despite my qualms. This has a a very pleasant throat hit even with the sweetest and yet complex of flavors.

I have no temptation right now, but did a bit ago, or maybe a sad longing, is a more apt term for analogs gone by before vaping this liquid wonderfulness.

I can't thank you enough for your generosity and caring. :)

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Made it past Day 10, when I fell last time. :)

Into Day 12 smoke free and over 300 analogs avoided! How marvelous does that sound? :)

Been a few rough times getting through Days 9 and 10, must be a trigger point for me in my vaping journey. That's why I waited an extra day to post and celebrate my mini-milestone here.

Taking it a day at a time, but I am hopeful since I got past my previous smokeless point without crashing.

I posted earlier in this thread about being smoke free for over 2 years and not having ANY desire to smoke. This has been a very trying week with a lot of anxiety. For some reason, I've had that old urge to light up- AFTER TWO YEARS!

I just refuse to give in. Heck, I don't even like the smell of them anymore so why would I want to smoke one? Be strong.

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Rothenbj I read your post here.

Please stay strong. I know about stress. It is SUCH a trigger.

And feeling all alone in your stress and stuggle is half the problem, I felt bad after 10 days, can only imagine after 2 years.

Try and remember, as I try and remember...a cigarette will never cure the problem that is causing the stress- only add to it in the end.

Last edited:

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Talking about smell...it is a struggle.

Kiddo here just lit up and even at 36 mg and the juice of a lifetime at my fingertips...the smell of it..even though I am sensitive enough once again to actually be able to smell and certainly don't want to smell like that ever again and appalled I ever did...well it still holds a dangerous allure...

But it is a struggle worth winning. :)

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
A dozen days!!!! Not out of the woods yet.

Trying not to fall into the holiday stress trap/excuse this time.

I have a full day planned for later today, keeping busy.

Looks like some peace and quiet for a few hours at least since the kiddo told me she has plans for this afternoon. My apartment will be smoke free for a weekend afternoon. A rarity lately and is always a help. :)

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Two weeks smokefree this morning!!! :)

Still some tough moments, but I feel better about myself than I did 2 Mondays ago.

I hope everyone here had a wonderful holiday weekend. I love the holidays but they do bring with them additional stress and sometimes temptation along with it. I am glad in a way there isn't any more until the end of May.

Now onto completing Day 15 smoke free.

BiffRocko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Ok, I've kept pretty quiet about this here on ECF, but I'm going to break my near-silence and throw it out there.

I still smoke.

When I'm out partying with friends and sometimes when I play poker, I'll have a few analogs. I started doing that about four months or so after I started vaping. During the 18 years I found myself hopelessly addicted to the cancer sticks, I always envied my non-smoker friends who could smoke a cigarette or two and then go back to not smoking as if they never had. I'd always said I wished I could smoke socially like them.

Now here's the thing. Despite the fact that I still have an analog now and then, I don't consider myself a smoker anymore. I'm not smoking every day. I'm not sucking down a pack a day. I can still breathe/smell/taste as if I was a non-smoker. Someone can offer me a cigarette, or leave their pack lying around and I won't feel at all compelled to touch them. Why? Because I'm a vaper now who occasionally smokes an analog.

This wasn't how I looked at it when I smoked the first analog after I started vaping. I had the same sort of guilty feelings as the OP, but after reflecting on it for a few weeks, I realized I was still vaping and not smoking. After that, I was able to enjoy an analog every now and then without feeling like it would lead back to full time smoking. When I have an analog nowadays, it's no big thing. The next morning I go right back to vaping as if I never touched an analog.

Somewhere along the lines there was a fundamental switch in my thinking between "having an analog" = "i'll be a PAD smoker again" to "I'm a vaper that has an occasional analog". I believe that this shift took me out of the "I feel bad for what I did. Oh well, I'll have an analog to make me feel better," mentality, and into the "So what? It was one cigarette. Where's my PV," mentality.

Bluebelle, if your goal is total and complete abstinence, that's great. You've made the switch and you're a vaper now. But...if you slip up and have an analog, you're not necessarily on the downslope to being a smoker again. You're just a vaper who smoked an analog. Time to find your PV again.

Disclaimer: I want to stress that just because I am able to do this, I'm not advocating that everyone can or should try to have an analog now and then. This is how my addiction works. What I think is important for other smokers to take away from my experience is my attitude shift towards "failure by analog."

Reactions: bennytuk

bluebelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2010
Rochester New York
Hi Biff Rocko

I know what you mean. I knew someone who only smoked when they drank (and usually bummed a pack's worth of cigarettes off me during an evening because they never had any) and the next day were not smoking at all. Could go weeks without a cigarette. Never could figure out how anyone could do that. I smoked all the time all day, every day. Smoked more at certain times, but always smoked.

My kids used to say they bet if I could have found a way to smoke in the shower and while I was asleep I would probably be totally happy. Who knows, maybe that is true, I was and am extremely addicted to nicotine.

Maybe I am really too gun shy about this, but considering I tried this almost 2 years ago and went back to smoking full time gradually, one cigarette at a time, I am very concerned (and I admit scared) about failing this time. You have no idea how much I would like to be able to smoke when I want, but I tried that almost 2 years ago and was back to full time smoking within weeks.

Guess I sound a bit whiney, dramatic and/or childish here, but I do have a lot riding on this and as I said scared I will fail this time again. I have read so many posts about how easy it has been for so many people to switch over, some just immediately, and while I admit I am jealous, I am happy for everyone whose time has been easier than mine.

Yes I am a vaper now, thank you for posting that. :)

I just have to do all I can to remain a vaper. I am glad (and I admit jealous too) that you can manage cigarettes the way you can. Unfortunately for me, it seems I just can't stop given my past history, not sure what it is, my level of addiction or perhaps a flaw in my character, but whatever it is, they seem to control me, not the other way around.

Still vaping away today. Into Day 15 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread