How Many Users Have Reported A Sore Throat ... ?

Use

• No Sore Throat

• Mild Sore Throat

• Severe Sore Throat

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Have had a sore throat the last 24-36 hours. Tried to keep up on the fluids and per TB suggestions, gargle and drink a good amount of water before bed each night. Today, I still have a sore throat and some mucus.

For those that have experienced a sore throat due to an e-cigarette, how bad was it, and how long did it last?

Thanks

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
It's difficult to figure out the consequences of e-smoking because -- you might be coming down with a summer cold. I mean, just look at your avatar. You're out there on a cold California mountainside. No wonder you get sick. Stay in Los Angeles!

I've had off-and-on sore throats that I blame on too much e-smoking. E-smoking for me involves gulping far more air than regular smoking ever involved. You walk around all day gulping air and I'll bet you have an overnight sore throat. The throat has dried out. And since propylene glycol is a humectant, it's further drying your throat. Dry means raw; raw means sore.

I found the soreness usually disappeared as soon as I started my first round of morning coffee.

greensurf

Jun 20, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Does your voice change as if you are/were a heavy heavy smoker? I guess that's also an effect from the drying out propylene glycol does to your throat. I've got a sore throat, and also feel my body fighting this strange new chemical. Funny, I never felt that way with all the chemicals in real cigs - what is so special about this to have such an effect? Or perhaps it's the nicotine, or the type of nicotine that my body is reacting to vs the nicotine I was used to with real cigs ( tobacco, various plants, etc... as it says ). I've found - as a new e-smoker that I'm looking for that "rush" and satisfaction that came from regular cigs, but it never actually comes, you just end up taking in much more nicotine. Does anyone on here get as much satisfaction off of their e-cig as they did the regular ones? How about having an alcoholic drink with your e-cig, does it make that e-cig even better for you- like it did with regular cigs?

sanneke

Moved On
May 28, 2008
USA
My voice sounds hoarse.

I see you're new at e-smoking.
I think in the beginning I also was looking for that "rush".
The longer you're off real cigarettes that feeling will go away.
When I first started e-smoking I was still smoking about 10 real cig. a day.
When my kiss worked like a charm I did not smoke any cigarettes for over 48 hours, and never had the need to pick up a real cig.
My kiss is not working, so I'm back to smoking.
I ordered a pen or three from Meltrex, I hate the fact that I have no devices right now.
Smoking tastes bad.
Can't wait for my new e-cig.

greensurf

Jun 20, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Yep new here. Right now I'm in a strange position. I can't smoke a regular cig because of the e-cig, it tastes nasty and is too harsh - That's an effect from a half day of e-smoking. Even more crazy, I let a friend try it, he probably had a good 20 hits ( got sick to his stomach ), but even today he can't smoke a real cig - says he's got to puff lightly on it ( and it's nasty he says). I might like a better tasting e-cig than I've had, but the big problem is the sore throat and making the voice sound different is not a good thing. But there are so many people who have had success with this, guess it effects everyone different and everyone should try it and see for themselves. Obviously it's better than all the chemicals in regular cigs. Do you guys think the makers will advance this devise in the future and make it more real and better tasting, or has it hit a wall ? It would be nice if these tasted refreshing like the hookah. Maybe it's the nicotine, or the pg, but the taste is odd to say the least, and it lingers around also. I woke up and noticed the smell in my office - that sweet smell like a bug trap. I'm going to try the brikford experiment because it sounds like that might be a more refreshing taste. At this point I don't think I care about the nicotine as much as I want a sensory experience that is refreshingly happy without side effects.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm looking for that "rush" and satisfaction that came from regular cigs, but it never actually comes, you just end up taking in much more nicotine. Does anyone on here get as much satisfaction off of their e-cig as they did the regular ones?

No.

I am 21 days away from having not smoked a real cigarette for one year. I miss them every hour of every day. And I know I cannot have even one, or I'll be back to a pack-a-day before you can say "addict." E-smoking is .. different. From the very beginning, I've said it doesn't replicate smoking. Still doesn't. It has its pluses, but replacing cigarettes, for me, is not one of them. I just .. don't smoke day by day.

I'm not smoking now, but I'll always be a smoker. And science backs up the fact that that is true. My brain was forever changed by my years of addiction, adding receptor cells that never go away. My brain can't revert to that of a never-smoker, even if I go nicotine-free forever. Non-smoking former smokers remain in limbo until they die.

I've started to write about this many times, and then killed the post. But the feeling I have as a lifelong former smoker is that a part of me died a year ago, so the rest of me might have a better chance at extended life. Until I can focus on victories instead of losses, I'll continue to pay the anguished price of addiction.

greensurf

Jun 20, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Wow, well congrats on being 21 days off from a year of not smoking. And it is promising to know of how you are able to stay away from the cigs for that long while being so addicted. I do think this is a great breakthrough to help people get off of it, who want to get off of it, or who really NEED to get off of it. I think it is and will be great for a certain type of smoker, however I've done my own testing the last week and here are the results from that.

I've gone to 2 different bars and spread the word about the E-smoking to many of the smokers). I initially got a LOT of negativity from most all of them as well as confusion. Many of them didn't even want to listen to what I had to say ( an alternative ), others tried to fight ( debate ) the possibility of it being an alternative, or safe cigarette. Even once they were convinced that it is indeed a safe cigarette and very worth it to e-smoke rather than real cigs, most all of them don't want it -( expressed that ) as they puff and enjoy their cigs and drink their alcohol, it's a perfect natural feeling, and there is no reason for them to change ( as far as they are concerned now ). Talk to them in about 10 years and it might be a different result as they range from 20's to early 40's. The older people were of course more willing to the possibility of trying the alternative method. I found about 2 people out of 10 were willing to try it - and that was also with them thinking that it was very close to real smoking ( as that's what I thought at the time). So once they do ( in the future ) try it, and they see that it is infact very different... does that cut that % in half of people who it will take to e-smoking? I believe it will( especially with side effects ), but that's only my opinion right now, I hope it changes. Hope they can make it more real with out side effects, because I would love to see this explode and take over tobacco. My big test was on drinkers, but even the people who aren't drinkers I talked to only see the benifit of switching if it gives the same effect. And they don't even know about side effect yet.
I can get over not having a "rush", but I can't get over the dry sore throat & long term voice problems as well as poor flavor. So I think maybe the china manufactures should concentrate on 3 main issues. #1 reliability of the devices, and #2 the side effect problems. #3 the flavor. Once those are taken care of, then we have a better chance in the US - etc... Just my opinion.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
You might be right, Greensurf. There's an old thread here where a Wall Street analyst said 1 percent of smokers might take up e-smoking. Everyone here poo-poohed that -- but we're E-vangelists. Read comments following newspaper or TV stories on e-smoking and they are filled with negativity. You're lucky to find one writer with anything positive to say about e-smoking. The road to acceptance is long .. and leads through Washington.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I've noticed feeling drier when I use the ecig a lot.

greensurf said:
maybe more chemicals to make the nicotine go into the body quicker like regular smokes
Not into the body quicker (than lung delivery), but into the brain quicker, and I believe that would be ammonia. And then they'd have to add stuff to mask the ammonia. And stuff to mask the stuff masking the ammonia. And pretty soon it would be a cigarette.

Hector

Jun 23, 2008
I arrived at e-cigs via a very different route to most here.

I gave up smoking cigarettes in January after starting a smoke free course run by the NHS here in England. I was advised to take Zyban to ease the cravings as I had attempted to quit several times over the years without success.

After only a week or two without cigarettes I had so much more energy. I live at the top of a very steep hill. After a month I could almost run up the hill and I am 53. I had not felt so fit for probably 25 years or more.

I came off of the Zyban early. I have never known a drug with so many weird side effects. I could not take it anymore.

After 4 months I was supposed to be over the worse - the cravings should have gone according to my counsellor. Like heck !

The thing I missed most was the taste of tobacco.

I was seriously contemplating buying a pack of cigarettes when I stumbled across e-cigarettes.

Strangely when the first e-cig arrived I could not stand the smell eminating from the cartridges so I didn't even try it for a week (may have been a residual side effect from Zyban).

I have to say I am now well hooked and find e-smoking far preferable to cigarettes which I had smoked for nearly 30 years. I have no desire to return to tobacco although I will always stick to the 'tobacco' flavoured e-cigs.

As far as my health is concerned I find e-cigs a half way house. Initially I suffered a very sore throat. Now I get the odd discomfort but nothing serious. I have more phlegm than I used to as a non smoker and from time to time my lungs feel as if I have smoked a packet of normal cigarettes but this passes. Energy wise, not as good as when I was abstaining but a whole lot better than on my old 20-25 per day habit.

And I can puff away now without my dog sneezing and giving me hate looks ;-)

sanneke

Moved On
May 28, 2008
USA
TropicalBob said:
Welcome, Hector. Good story and a very apt analogy. We are all residents of a Halfway House. We're still nicotine addicts, but no longer cigarette smokers.

Pretty nice place, this halfway house. Check it out. See you around.

Halfway house. LOL..
How about "the hotel of california". You can check out anytime, but you can never leave.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zkD-Mrg1BOQ

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hector ... I am on the same boat as you ...

I quit in September of 2007, and started smoking e-cig's last week. I smoke the Zero Nic carts and Bickford flavors only and I am 100% content just vapping instead of smoking. BananaDoc and I are the only ones that stay completely Nic free, however, we are hoping more join the Zero Nic club soon :)

TropicalBob said:
... We're still nicotine addicts, but no longer cigarette smokers...

i guess i consider myself a nic addict for life, however, I am just not a "practicing" nic addict ;)

:lol:

UncleMidriff

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
I'll get a mild sore throat whenever I e-smoke, and my voice sometimes sounds as if I arrived from the womb smoking a cigarette and haven't taken a break in all my 26 years.

I can't be two quick to pin the sore throat on PG or anything else e-smoking related though because of this damn non-stop heartburn I've been having lately. If I can get that under control, I'll be interested to see if the sore throat goes away or sticks around due to e-smoking.

I too was initially disappointed by the lack of nicotine rush provided by e-smoking, but as I've gotten used to it, I'm beginning to find it more and more satisfying. I take longer puffs now (usually around as long as it takes for the atomizer to automatically shut off), and I after 4 or 5 of those, I can feel a nice nicotine calm come over me. The rush I'd get from my regular cigs (Camel Turkish Royals) was sometimes too strong, as my fingers would sometimes get all numb and tingly and I'd feel quite weak. So, the in-between feeling offered by e-smoking is something I find rather enjoyable.

QuietDave

Jun 16, 2008
Scotland, UK
I am getting a sore throat when I vape, and I'm not yet using my e-fags that much. I've been planning to surprise my partner (who so far doesn't even know e-cigarettes exist!) by getting her one for her birthday. Have just been trying them out to make sure I get the right thing for her. Once I give her that I plan to try moving completely to e-cigarettes myself but I'm getting a bit worried by the sore throat I'm getting after only a few puffs.

Have others found mostly that you get used to it and this improves over time?

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread