In your opinion, is Vaping considered Smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickman6982

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lynchburg, VA, USA
In my opinion, no. However, I treat it the same when in public. vaping still isn't understood by most people and they could view it the same as smoking a cigarette. Better to be safe and use discretion.
This post hit the proverbial nail on the head. So many people in this world don't understand the difference between vaping and smoking, especially here in backwoods Virginia. Even after some explanation, most frown upon vaping and act as if it is as bad as smoking. I still often find myself headed to designated smoking areas and vaping away with the analog users when not in places where vaping is readily accepted. The bright note to this is that I have opened the eyes of many smokers to the world of vaping. No full converts yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. :)

Last edited:

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
Funny story: I was vaping at a restaurant recently, when the manager came up to me and politely informed me that there was no smoking in the establishment.

I smiled and told him I understood, and if I saw anyone smoking I'd let him know!

He asked where the smoke was coming from then, and I explained to him that it was an e-cig, and emits a relatively odorless vapor. I also let him know I wouldn't vape anymore during my visit out of respect, but I felt it important to differentiate what i was doing from a smoker. Most people don't understand vaping, so as part of the vaping community, i feel it's important to educate people about what it's all about.

Thats hilarious! I love to have fun with certain people when I vape in public too.. gotta love the fake coughing people do when they walk by.. always want to call them out on their BS but most of the time it's not even worth it.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Smoking is creating a fire/ combustion...creating a fire and inhaling and emitting burned tars, 4000 chemicals, carcinogens and an odor.

Vaping you are inhaling and emitting food grade flavoring, pg, vg and nicotine or no nicotine. No carcinogenic chemicals, tars, tobacco or bad odor.

Theres a difference. Some will not recognize the difference, and thats THEIR problem.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
In my opinion, no. However, I treat it the same when in public. Vaping still isn't understood by most people and they could view it the same as smoking a cigarette. Better to be safe and use discretion.

I do the same, use smoking sections. For one, being aggressive and confrontational about anything puts people on the defensive and isn't the best way to educate. For two, there are smokers to convert. He said, eyes wide and a touch crazy. :)

(Well, with the FDA spoiling for a fight, I figure safety in numbers?)

Ha,ha. I thought I would look up the definition and this made me laugh. I don't consider myself a smoker anymore. This works for me. People who have never smoked may have a different take on it, but I see no need of explaining myself.

smoke
/smōk/
Noun
A visible suspension of carbon or other particles in air, typically one emitted from a burning substance.
Verb
Emit smoke or visible vapor: "heat the oil until it just smokes"; "huddled around a smoking fire".
Synonyms
noun. fume - reek - cigarette
verb. fume - reek - fumigate

M3RkN

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Death Star
Some people say its like hookah. Not really, because smoke is still involved in hookah. Its vaping and as a community we shouldn't allow people to be confused by the two. Allowing the lobbyists to twist our words aren't going to help us. So always put your foot down, and blow a cloud of vapor in their face. Chances are they will like what they smell.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
There is an old saying: "Where there is smoke there is fire."

It is easy to say E-Cigs have no fire, thus no smoke. However with the advent of induction cook tops there is also no fire yet if I put vegetable oil in the pan it WILL smoke. So while there is technically no fire in an E-Cig there is definitely heat being met with a low smoke point liquid. So to me it is still technically "smoke". The key difference though is that nothing is actually burning, so there is not a release of carbon monoxide, and there is definitely not a release of all the other toxic crap produced by standard cigarette smoke.

While most users of E-Cigs say what they are inhaling and exhaling is "water vapor", this is not correct either. In order to convert water to vapor in that quantity and at that speed would require temperatures of at least 212°F(100°C) which would scald your mouth, throat, and lungs. What you are actually inhaling and exhaling, is vaporized PG/VG, the true effects of which are not known since no real studies have been conducted and published. At least with PG/VG vapor there is no tar, burnt paper, or any of the other several thousand chemicals found in cigarette smoke.

What we can say with a great degree of certainty is that the vapor from smoking PG/VG mixes is vastly safer than traditional smoke, it dissipates in the air faster, more completely, and as a result does not leave lingering smells or stain walls.

Rachy_B

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Kent, UK
I describe it a bit like the inhalator...only a million times better! I get the nicotine as I would from the inhalator but my nicotine usage is much more at my discretion and more likely to work. If people wanna get all het up about it, I simply point out that they wouldn't say half the things they do to me if I was using patches, gum or the inhalator- and its true, they wouldn't. They wouldn't turn around after a week of using it and say 'oh but you're still using nicotine' now would they? No. I've heard talk of vaping 'renormalising' smoking but surely it's more a case of 'normalising' alternatives to smoking... I'll stop there before I get ranty! lol!x

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA

It is easy to say E-Cigs have no fire, thus no smoke. However with the advent of induction cook tops there is also no fire yet if I put vegetable oil in the pan it WILL smoke. So while there is technically no fire in an E-Cig there is definitely heat being met with a low smoke point liquid. So to me it is still technically "smoke". The key difference though is that nothing is actually burning, so there is not a release of carbon monoxide, and there is definitely not a release of all the other toxic crap produced by standard cigarette smoke.

While most users of E-Cigs say what they are inhaling and exhaling is "water vapor", this is not correct either. In order to convert water to vapor in that quantity and at that speed would require temperatures of at least 212°F(100°C) which would scald your mouth, throat, and lungs. What you are actually inhaling and exhaling, is vaporized PG/VG, the true effects of which are not known since no real studies have been conducted and published. At least with PG/VG vapor there is no tar, burnt paper, or any of the other several thousand chemicals found in cigarette smoke.

What we can say with a great degree of certainty is that the vapor from smoking PG/VG mixes is vastly safer than traditional smoke, it dissipates in the air faster, more completely, and as a result does not leave lingering smells or stain walls.

"Smoke" point? There are no oils in ejuice. no.. its "boil" point. What is that white vapor coming off the high temp pot of liquid of non-oily liquid spill on the cook top? We call it "steam" when that hot. We call it "vapor" coming from a humidifier or vaporizer. Its never "smoke."

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com

It is easy to say E-Cigs have no fire, thus no smoke. However with the advent of induction cook tops there is also no fire yet if I put vegetable oil in the pan it WILL smoke.

Um, yeah... oil burns.

If I boil water, what's that stuff that rises out of the pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread