• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Indiana eSmokers/Vapers

Status
Not open for further replies.

2WYCE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2009
I live in Gary, IN. I'm a new vaper, and new to this forum, beginning my search of the product that's right for me. So far, I have the 007 e-cigar. I like it, having nothing to compare it to. I figure I'll use it for at least two weeks (my break even point dollar wise as compared to analogs at 25% analog usage) and then try a different e-cigar(ette) model. I can say that it's working. I've only had it for 3 days I've only smoked a quarter of the amount of analogs I'm used to. I still like the actual analog smoke, but going down 75% without even thinking about it is not bad! However, in only 3 days, I'm getting more and more used to the electronic version and I can truly see myself using it exclusively to "smoke". Wish I had known about this technology last year!

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Welcome to the forum 2WYCE. There are lots of great people here who can answer tons of questions for you... from hardware to taste to issues.

I have gone full ecig... to some tobacco cigs... to all ecig... to some tobacco cigs. As long as you are happy with what you are doing for yourself... that is all that matters.

Many believe that the ecig has helped them to quit... IMHO this is not the case for me... just an alternative. However, whatever works for you is what you should be concerned with. That's the beauty of the ecig/PV... it is YOUR CHOICE!

Again... welcome and hope you are getting ready for that cold wind off of the lake because down here in Indy... we can certainly feel it today and we are pretty far away!!!

Cheers!

2WYCE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks Lacey,

Taste is probably my first aspect of vaping that I need to learn more about. I smoke the Mild variety Black & Mild cigars, and it's the only thing I like to smoke. Don't like the other flavors of cigars very much (even from the same brand), and don't like cigarettes. So if I can find something that tastes similar to the pipe tobacco they use, I'll be good, even if I have a real one once in a while. But I love the convienience of pulling it out of my pocket, puffing it a few times, then putting it back in my pocket. I'm already sold on that aspect!

And so begins my search...

Thanks again!

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Isn't that crazy? Hoosiers are notorious for spending the entire first half of their existence getting out of here and then realizing once they are out... it isn't so bad!

Mamu - I have heard of Red... seen a few skits... but not very versed in his act.

It is funny - same here. Born and raised in southern Indiana and couldn't wait to get out. Now hubby and I are back home in Indiana and pretty much are here to stay.

Red Skelton was very much loved not only for his vaudeville acts and the Red Skelton show (my favorite is Clem Kadiddlehopper), but he is also known for his very kind and gentle ways.

YouTube - Red & The Pledge

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
OMG that's so trippy! It DID get eliminated from schools because of those words!

My friends daughter learned the "Pledge" and they were taught it as a poem. A poem! Not as the "Pledge of Allegiance" but as a poem... like you would teach any other poem to a class. It was a weeks lesson and then done. My first thought was WTH? I remember every Monday morning standing up in grade school and that was ONLY 20 years ago!

I have been one heck of a sappy patriot lately. It is liberating (and sucky) when your eyes finally open up to the what's going on.

That was great... thank you for sharing. Now that I see him... My grandpa watched him A LOT. :)

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
I have been one heck of a sappy patriot lately. It is liberating (and sucky) when your eyes finally open up to the what's going on.

Me too Lacey. Things in the wind nowadays are not my values either. It's sad for what holds with this next generation and what their values will be because of all that's taking place now.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I was born and raised on the east side of Indy, although I wouldn't go to my old neighborhood anymore.. LOL
I hang out in Fishers quite often nowadays :)

Born and raised in the Broad Ripple area.

Now that I am older and have moved around the country a bit... so glad to have settled here for a bit. Such a great town. Too bad I didn't realize it so much when I was a youngin. ;)

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...772-indiana-illinois-michigan.html#post560979

SmokeyJoe started a subforum for campaigning for us all.

Sherid and I were having a conversation this morning regarding who would be best to send our information to in order to help get our message out regarding the electronic cigarette smoking bans that will be and currently are popping up in states.

Sending our information to people who have already made up their minds that the ecig should be banned is possibly a futile effort.

So... we have begun the quest to find groups who stand for our rights as consumers for choice, as well as groups who believe that while smoking might not be the best choice for health, there are products on the market that help reduce these health effects and the rights and freedom to choose such products should be upheld.

With all of that said, I did find one organization that might be worth Hoosiers writing letters to, as noted above.

If you know of any other organizations that might be interested in adding to the list, please feel free to do so. And if you find other states, that information would be an excellent add... whether you are from that state or not.

I am hoping the campaigning subforum can become a one stop shop for those who are looking to write letters and make contact, on behalf of themselves and other consumers.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Hello All!

I just wanted to check in and let everyone know what is happening here in Indianapolis. For those of you who are familiar with Marion County, the City-County Council will be voting to extend the "Smoke Free Indy Act" to include electronic cigarettes. This ban is a complete blanket smoking ban, not allowing smoking in basically any establishment and must be at least 25 feet from all windows and doors.

So, if you are familiar with Broad Ripple area for instance, then you would be able to visualize that in order to smoke your PV, you must stand in the middle of 62nd Street in order to be 25 feet away from ANY establishment. Yes. They would rather you smoke your PV in oncoming Saturday night, drunk traffic :)

All joking aside, here is the pertinent information that we must be willing to work hard to change:

The proposal is: NO 371 and can be found here: http://www.indy.gov/eGov/Council/Proposals/Pages/home.aspx

From the proposal here is where ecigs are specifically noted:

Page 2: (j) "Smoking" means the carrying or holding of a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, or any other lighted smoking equipment, the use of an electronic cigarette (also known as an e-cigarette), or the inhalation or exhalation of smoke from any lighted smoking equipment. "Smoking" does not include the burning of incense.

The only places exempt from the ban are private residences that are not licensed child care, adult day care, or health care facilities, and any vehicle used by an employee while in the service of an employer when the vehicle is occupied only by that employee, and the vehicle is not used by other employees at any other time.

Also: Smoking shall be prohibited within twenty-five feet of an entrance or opening to an enclosed space where smoking is prohibited.

Upon adoption this ban goes into full effect immediately.

They plan to vote Monday, October 22nd. Public Hearing is October 14th.

Here are some other things to note:

Councillors Hunter, Mansfield, Malone and Evans have introduced this ordinance. What is actually very interesting is that in 2005, Angela Mansfield co-authored and co-sponsored Indianapolis' first "Smokefree Air Ordinance". Thus far, I cannot find anything further on Evans, Hunter, and Malone regarding smoking. Still looking. This ordinance would ammend her original "Smokefree Air Ordinance" to include the ecig AND to go back and eliminate all of the establishments like bars, bowling alleys, etc that were exempted in the first ordinance.

Also to note: Evans and Mansfield are both Dems and Malone and Hunter are both Republicans. Interesting. The city council consists of 15 republicans, 13 democrats and 1 libertarian.

So! If you live in Marion County (or Surrounding Counties because we know this spreads like wildfire) and would like to help me... please feel free to PM. I have already contacted the Indiana Alcohol Beverage Commission, who opposes this ban. They have 150 business owners who are looking to have this entire thing thrown out, but for good measure, we need to ensure that this does not become an ecig ban.

If you are interested in helping in any way, please let me know via PM. The goal is to get the important information to the right Councillors so that they can strike the electronic cigarette from the proposal. We will also be getting information on what is required to speak at the public hearing. Before hand, I would like to make sure that each of the Councillors in the committee get a hard copy of our message, reports, etc and then I believe we would each get two minutes at the public hearing... so if 3 or 4 of us went, then we would have enough time to reiterate that message through our 6-8 minutes.

Time to move! We have less than a week to get our stuff together!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread