Interesting! (Lol) Adjusting Resistance on SMOK Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Hey y'all,

So the smok mods (lets just use the alien here) have this interesting tool, in my opinion, where you can adjust the resistsnce, at least on screen, compared to the reistsnce the device initially reads when you screw the atty on.

I'm not exactly sure how this affects my corcuit electronically, or my vaping experience.

I understand that the higher the resistance, the higher the voltage needed to apply the same wattage to a coil.

So let's say I set my Alien to deliver 100w to my atty (a TFV12-t12 coil, rated at .12 ohms if that helps. Lets say for the sake of this example, the coil does indeed have a resistance of .12 ohms). Suppose initially the Alien reads the resistance at .11 ohms, but I change the resistance setting to .13 ohms. On screen, yes, the device displays a higher level of voltage appropriate for that resistance and wattage. But what is actually happening now?

I understand that the device isnt necessarily accurate in reading the atty resistance, or displaying the applied voltage in the first place. You can take that into consideration your response. Maybe talk about what theoretically would happen if at least the applied voltage to the coil is accurate vs. what is actually likely to take place in reality.

I hope I get a good response to this. This has really piqued my interest. My Alien is reading my attys at lower resistances than what I expect they should be (I know that dirt, loose screes etc. Can effect this, im just saying...) I am wondering if changing the resistance to what I think it should be is sccomplishing anything in terms of acheiving accurate wattage. And suppose dirt or whatever IS affecting resistance readings. How is that affecting applied wattage to the actual coil?

I understand that this very well could require a very deep knowledgenof the physics behind all of this, and the electronics attempting to harness the physics. Im confident I coukd follow along, even with the technical explanation, if someone knows. I am really hoping someone with the ability to answer this will do so. Please?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It basically fools the circuitry into thinking that the resistance is something it isn't, and applies voltage accordingly. As a result your settings will be off. In my opinion it's a feature that shouldn't be used. If your mod isn't reading the resistance correctly you should correct what's causing it, not apply a band aid that will make it look as if everything is ok.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
With ArcticFox-firmware this is also possible. Resistance can be "corrected" between 85% and 115%. I used that with a .095 ohms-coil in a 32.5mm Euphrat, normally sitting on a mech with A123 ANR26650M1-B, "correcting" that to 0.108 ohms, to make it work on my RX200, works fine! Just for testing and pulsing the coil. More safe instead of doing that directly at the mech! The really occuring power is only very little above the displayed.

Last edited:

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
It basically fools the circuitry into thinking that the resistance is something it isn't, and applies voltage accordingly. As a result your settings will be off. In my opinion it's a feature that shouldn't be used. If your mod isn't reading the resistance correctly you should correct what's causing it, not apply a band aid that will make it look as if everything is ok.

I feel like I agree with this. I'm trying to figure out why. So it send more voltage to the coil, and then what is the result of this? Simply that more power passes to the coil then what otherwise would have been when the display shows that particular wattage?

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017

I think whays throwing me off is, how is the applied power affected in the first place when the resistance is detected inaccurately?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I think whays throwing me off is, how is the applied power affected in the first place when the resistance is detected inaccurately?
The wrong voltage is applied, thus resulting in the wrong wattage. An example, exaggerated to make it clearer.

You have a .25Ω coil and the watts are set to 50. The mod should apply 3.54v to get you that wattage. However, you adjust your resistance reading (note, you are not actually changing the resistance at all, only fooling the mod into thinking that the resistance is different) to .5Ω. You're watts are set to 50, but you're getting 100w as the mod applies 5v to the .25Ω coil that it thinks is .5Ω.

It's the same whether you purposefully fool the mod into reading the wrong resistance or if the mod is simply broken and reads the resistance wrong without any assistance.

Joergl100

Oct 15, 2016
Germany, Lake Constance
I do not think it is possible to set the resistance from 0.25 to 0.5 ohms...that were 200%. In ArcticFox the minimum is 85% and the maximum is 115%. At 0.25 ohms real resistance the minimum were 0,21 ohms and the maximum were around 0.28 ohms...not very dramatically. Such differences can occur even by unprecise building...screws not firmly tightened...connections not clean...etc.

Reactions: SteveS45

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I get lock resistance if you have a crappy connection (although IMO if that's the case fix the connection not lock the resistance) but adjusting the resistance up and down like that makes no sense to me. It's a reciprocal to power, so why not just adjust the power to your preference rather than mess with what should be a stable physical quality of a setup that is easily quantified, the resistance?

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I do not think it is possible to set the resistance from 0.25 to 0.5 ohms...that were 200%. In ArcticFox the minimum is 85% and the maximum is 115%. At 0.25 ohms real resistance the minimum were 0,21 ohms and the maximum were around 0.28 ohms...not very dramatically. Such differences can occur even by unprecise building...screws not firmly tightened...connections not clean...etc.
I stated that my example was intentionally exaggerated in order to make it clear what's happening. The point is that the mod will be fooled into providing the wrong voltage and that the wattage will therefore not be what's set.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I stated that my example was intentionally exaggerated in order to make it clear what's happening. The point is that the mod will be fooled into providing the wrong voltage and that the wattage will therefore not be what's set.

Isn't like the whole advantage to a regulated mod being to adjust the wattage and be relatively unconcerned with resistance? And as for TC, IMHO, inputting an incorrect resistance just cannot lead to anything good.

I agree, why "fool" the mod into supplying the power you want? Just adjust your variable wattage mod accordingly. Otherwise, we might as well be back to using a mech.

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017
Isn't like the whole advantage to a regulated mod being to adjust the wattage and be relatively unconcerned with resistance? And as for TC, IMHO, inputting an incorrect resistance just cannot lead to anything good.

I agree, why "fool" the mod into supplying the power you want? Just adjust your variable wattage mod accordingly. Otherwise, we might as well be back to using a mech.

But if the mod is reading the incorrect resistance initially, what is happening to the voltage applied to it ("it" meaning the total body of resistance e.g. the atty plus dirt)? If something causes the mod to read a .12 ohm coil as .105 ohms, for example, doesnt whatever is causing that screw up have an affect on the voltage applied, in terms of what is hitting the atomizer, other than that the voltage will be wrong for the power level you have asked the mod to supply?

PBody19

Feb 23, 2017

What do you mean ".25 ohms real resistance"? How can the mod's adjustment margin be based on the real resistance of the coil, if the whole problem is that it is not detecting the real resistance?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Exactly!

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread