Question about wattage & resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCzerniak83

May 20, 2015
I vape at 55W with my ADV, using a .35 ohm coil. If I put in a .4ohm coil, rather than a .35, will I have to increase the wattage to get the same production, or does the mod use higher amp/voltage in order to fire at 55W since it’s .05 ohms more of resistance? Hope that makes sense...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When using regulated mods coil resistance is irrelevant. If you set your mod to fire at 55 watts and change the coil resistance, it will still fire at 55 watts.

Regardless, I doubt that you'd be able to notice a difference of 0.05 ohms anyway.

The cool thing about variable power mods, is that you have the ability to make wattage adjustments on the fly to change your vaping experience. If using a mech mod you wouldn't have that ability, the power output "is what it is" depending upon the voltage of the battery at the time. Changing the coil resistance in a mech is the only way to change your vaping experience.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It can mean a heavier gauge wire, but not exclusively. Drop in coils do utilize parallel or even series/parallel coil configuration where it is possible to use a higher gauge wire but achieve a lower resistance. But in general, should the wire be of the same metal and length, the higher the gauge the higher the resistance.

Also, lower resistance does not always equal more required power to achieve a desired temperature within a specific amount of time. A 0.2 ohm 24awg single coil will require less power than a 0.8 ohm 24awg single coil of the same metal. The determining factor here is the coil’s mass. Higher mass requires higher power to reach a desired temperature within a specific amount of time.

@NCzerniak83 – your Regulated device will set a voltage based on your coil resistance and power setting. Assuming it is reading the resistance correctly, it will apply a higher voltage for a higher resistance coil should the wattage be left unchanged. The current draw will be a result of that setting. Voltage = √Power x Resistance and the resulting Current draw would be Voltage / Resistance.

There is more to a coil than just its resistance. With drop in coils airflow could be changed, coil surface area could increase or decrease and coil mass will determine the time in which it takes a coil to heat up for a given prescribed power.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I vape at 55W with my ADV, using a .35 ohm coil. If I put in a .4ohm coil, rather than a .35, will I have to increase the wattage to get the same production, or does the mod use higher amp/voltage in order to fire at 55W since it’s .05 ohms more of resistance? Hope that makes sense...

Good replies from everyone. Wattage is wattage and it's based on resistance and voltage. Wattage= voltage^2/ Resistance.

So, if you change the resistance a regulated mod will automatically change the voltage to correct for the right output with the new coil. If it's a mech mod the wattage will go up or down depending on the new resistance value.

Last edited:

roostaphant

May 3, 2014
Minneapolis
Higher resistance coils require less power to reach temp, and lower resistance coils require more power to reach temp. Higher ohms are better for MTL setups, while lower ohms are better for RDAs and RDTAs. If I'm using an RDA on a regulated device, I shoot for around 0.7-0.85 ohms, because I get longer battery life while still getting good clouds.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Higher resistance coils require less power to reach temp, and lower resistance coils require more power to reach temp. Higher ohms are better for MTL setups, while lower ohms are better for RDAs and RDTAs. If I'm using an RDA on a regulated device, I shoot for around 0.7-0.85 ohms, because I get longer battery life while still getting good clouds.
All depends... Not drop-ins, but I have RTA's setup MTL/RDL with 0.7Ω coils and working great for me. Also have a couple Prime's (RTA) setup MTL with clapton's at 0.6Ω and MTL working fine.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

What requires more power? A 1 ohm 24 awg coil or a 1 ohm 28 awg coil? The resistance is the same.

28 awg Kanthal (the metal type is irrelevant) made into a 1 ohm coil would be well suited for MTL vaping. 24 awg Kanthal (just to keep it simple and similar) made into a 1 ohm coil would be well suited for DTL vaping.

If you applied 15 watts of power into the 28 awg 1 ohm coil, you would require 95 watts for 24 awg 1 ohm coil to achieve the same temperature within the same amount of time, excluding the influence of air flow and a saturated wick.

Resistance is the same, Specific Heat Capacity (cause we are using the same metal) is the same - Mass of the coil dictates the amount of power required!

roostaphant

May 3, 2014
Minneapolis
What requires more power? A 1 ohm 24 awg coil or a 1 ohm 28 awg coil? The resistance is the same.

28 awg Kanthal (the metal type is irrelevant) made into a 1 ohm coil would be well suited for MTL vaping. 24 awg Kanthal (just to keep it simple and similar) made into a 1 ohm coil would be well suited for DTL vaping.

If you applied 15 watts of power into the 28 awg 1 ohm coil, you would require 95 watts for 24 awg 1 ohm coil to achieve the same temperature within the same amount of time, excluding the influence of air flow and a saturated wick.

Resistance is the same, Specific Heat Capacity (cause we are using the same metal) is the same - Mass of the coil dictates the amount of power required!
You're absolutely right, I just didn't get my point across clearly. What I meant was that lower ohms will require more power to get a good vape, whereas higher ohms require less power for a good vape. I should have said that higher/lower ohms will require less/more power to reach a comfortable vape (not to reach the same temperature). If I'm installing a coil in a MTL atty, I'll use 30g wire and get a resistance between 1.2-1.5 ohms, and will usually vape at around 12-14 watts. If I'm building on a dripper, I'll use 26ga wire and end up with a 0.4-0.6 resistance, which I'll vape at around 40 watts.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You're absolutely right, I just didn't get my point across clearly. What I meant was that lower ohms will require more power to get a good vape, whereas higher ohms require less power for a good vape. I should have said that higher/lower ohms will require less/more power to reach a comfortable vape (not to reach the same temperature). If I'm installing a coil in a MTL atty, I'll use 30g wire and get a resistance between 1.2-1.5 ohms, and will usually vape at around 12-14 watts. If I'm building on a dripper, I'll use 26ga wire and end up with a 0.4-0.6 resistance, which I'll vape at around 40 watts.

Not really. If you took a 24 awg Kanthal coil, as an example, that had 6 wraps, and removed a wrap, what would the end result be? Lower resistance and lower mass. 5 wraps would essentially require less power to achieve the same temperature within the same amount of time due to its lower mass.

You are choosing the gauge of wire to fit the application. It is not practical to build a 1 ohm coil out of 24 awg Kanthal if you are trying to achieve a low wattage MTL vape. The resistance becomes irrelevant but its mass dictates a said amount of power is needed for a functional vape. But if you want a high wattage DTL vape, a 1 ohm 24 awg coil is very practical.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
All depends... I can get a solid MTL vape with a 0.7Ω coil at 14w or 28w using simple 26g round wire or a 26ss/36ss clapton (wattage and/or TC). In one of my Prime's I have a 0.60Ω ss316L 32gx3/40g twisted fused clapton setup w/TC and the MTL vape is totally awesome for me. It really does all depend on what someone is looking for.

roostaphant

May 3, 2014
Minneapolis
Not really. If you took a 24 awg Kanthal coil, as an example, that had 6 wraps, and removed a wrap, what would the end result be? Lower resistance and lower mass. 5 wraps would essentially require less power to achieve the same temperature within the same amount of time due to its lower mass.

You are choosing the gauge of wire to fit the application. It is not practical to build a 1 ohm coil out of 24 awg Kanthal if you are trying to achieve a low wattage MTL vape. The resistance becomes irrelevant but its mass dictates a said amount of power is needed for a functional vape. But if you want a high wattage DTL vape, a 1 ohm 24 awg coil is very practical.
Ahh, I understand what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification - learn something new every day!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Ahh, I understand what you mean now. Thanks for the clarification - learn something new every day!

A regulated mod will automatically vary the voltage to maintain the current wattage setting if the coil resistance is changed. A mech will go up or down in heat production (wattage) if the coil resistance is lowered or raised, respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread