question about variable wattage devices and DYI coils, what if the resistance is too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Hi, I'm interested in getting a VW device. Most of the VM devices have ohmmeter built in right?

Let's say a device can output 3W to 15 W, what if I make my own coils and one of the coils have too low of a resistance (by accident), say, only 0.5 Ohm, and I set my device to 3 W. That'll require a really small voltage, will it deliver that?

Conversely, let's say I accident put in a coil that's really high resistance, say, 4 ohms, and I set my wattage to something like 15 W, that'll require a huge voltage and current, which might cause problems.

So how does VW devices handle those type of situations? There has got to be some sort of "limits" built in as far as current and voltage goes right? Or does the device test the resistance of the coil first and the resistance has to be within certain limit or else the thing won't fire?

Thanks

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Ok, so most VW devices have an ohmmeter on board. But can they tell you what the resistance is (by displaying it) or is it only for its own calculation?

Speaking of which, they vary the watt by varying the voltage right? As I understand, a VW device is essentially a VV device, only it'll adjust the voltage automatically to suit a particular wattage. Correct?

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
Ok, so most VW devices have an ohmmeter on board. But can they tell you what the resistance is (by displaying it) or is it only for its own calculation?

Speaking of which, they vary the watt by varying the voltage right? As I understand, a VW device is essentially a VV device, only it'll adjust the voltage automatically to suit a particular wattage. Correct?

Yes, they will display the resistance on their small LED screen.

Yes, VV is essentially like VW. With VV you set the voltage you want to vape at and with VW you set the wattage you want to vape at.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
I'd recommend the Vamo, good price, good features !
The MVP2 is also a good choice if you want a "box" mod rather than the tube mods, it is the culmination of the technologies so far and really isn't that much more expensive than a Vamo with the batteries and charger.

Innokin iTaste MVP V 2.0 Brief Introduction

I have a Vamo V3, but am drooling on getting me a MVP2

Zurd

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Montréal
The MVP2 is also a good choice if you want a "box" mod rather than the tube mods, it is the culmination of the technologies so far and really isn't that much more expensive than a Vamo with the batteries and charger.

Innokin iTaste MVP V 2.0 Brief Introduction

I have a Vamo V3, but am drooling on getting me a MVP2

The MVP2 is 107mm tall
Review: The Innokin iTaste MVP 2.0 - Vape Squad

It's tall enough to be call a box tube :)

You can convert the Vamo into the Vamo Shrink, it's pretty cool
http://s16.postimg.org/g2olcmysl/Fotografie0187.jpg

piggy

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2013
New York
Pretty much ALL APV do have an ohm meter, it's common now.

If you build a coil below 1.0 ohms, the APV will not fire at all, it's safe.

if you make a 4 ohms coil and fire it at 15 watts, it will work but you're probably going to burn your coil.

Here's the atomizer watt chart :
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9dkanCt0I1qc8949o2_1280.png

Are you sure it will deliver 15W on 4.0ohms? That translates to 7.8 volts and most VV/VW I would think limit to 6 Volts under voltage mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread