Status
Not open for further replies.

AtmizrOpin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2015
Pennsylvania
Yep you're right, it says 1.18 volts at 7 watts with a .20 ohm coil on my derringer clone, but it's hitting like it's at 50 watts. That's stupid, why show a false voltage output. Thank god I hardly ever use kanthal. But shame on p4you.
IMG_20150809_101033-1.jpg

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Give a Vaping chart a try and fine the proper coil resistance for 7w at 4.2v and it will produce exactly as designed.
No Step Down in VW mode - Designed as a High power mod, but capable of firing higher resistance coils.

Or............lock your Kanthal build in TC mode at Room Temp and give it a try.
You might be surprised.;)
Set temps low to start.

Reactions: ckc

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
Give a Vaping chart a try and fine the proper coil resistance for 7w at 4.2v and it will produce exactly as designed.
No Step Down in VW mode - Designed as a High power mod, but capable of firing higher resistance coils.

Or............lock your Kanthal build in TC mode at Room Temp and give it a try.
Set temps low to start.
:) really?

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Set temps low to start.

Are you seriously trying to say a $60 TC mod is going to be more accurate than a $2,000 meter in measuring the resistance change of kanthal?

I rather suspect you either don't know how TC works or have no idea how tiny the amount of resistance change there is in kanthal as it heats up.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
A little off topic but D2 related, here's what I playing around with.

Nichrome build in Ti temp control mode produced some encouraging results, much more vapor than the Ti wire produced, I'm running 18J at 325 degrees and it's working really well.

One thing I noticed is the resistance display number, in this Nichrome configuration the locked resistance is displayed and doesn't fluctuate when fired as it did with Ti wire…FWIW

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
A little off topic but D2 related, here's what I playing around with.

Nichrome build in Ti temp control mode produced some encouraging results, much more vapor than the Ti wire produced, I'm running 18J at 325 degrees and it's working really well.

One thing I noticed is the resistance display number, in this Nichrome configuration the locked resistance is displayed and doesn't fluctuate when fired as it did with Ti wire…FWIW

...............;)

So maybe I pay attention and do have some Idea. :D

I rather suspect you either don't know how TC works or have no idea how tiny the amount of resistance change there is in kanthal as it heats up.

After 45yrs in DC Electronics............ maybe a tiny clue.
Not long ago, someone made a similar comment about TI on an NI TC mod. That was quickly dispelled.
Several mods are already claiming TC Kanthal capability for what that is worth.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
So maybe I pay attention and do have some Idea. :D

Without question you have more than some idea.

I'm just wondering if TC functions the same with resistance wire limiting the temp or is it somehow fooled by the higher resistance…seems to be working great, I'll have to try a dry burn test, I suspect it'll do what it's designed to do, to be continued.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Thanks TS

From another willing tester on their D2:
I can tell you at 10 joules on my derringer with .2 kanthal build in it, it barely made any vapor and at the other end of the spectrum, 50 joules it put out vapor like a champ.

Remember this is to give people information on what we have found that seemed to allow lower wattage vaping on a mod not specifically designed to Buck wattage in vw mode.
The Mod is IPV(P4Y) but remember, the chip is YiHi and they build reputable, functional, quality chips.

As with anything New, use caution and be sure you are comfortable with what you are doing.:thumb:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I don't own a D2, as of now. The test to see if the speculative TC workaround for Kanthal coils seems to me to be a .5 ohm coil, either home rolled on an RBA, or a prebuilt coil like a Kanger OCC .5 ohm replaceable coil. In NON TC mode, vaping the D2 with NO step down, on a fresh 18650 cell off charger at approx. 4.2 volts, at 35 watts, should match the results of lowest watt settings the D2 is capable of. Thus far those that have the unit in hand have reported this as proof there is no step down voltage. Now try this same .5 ohm Kanthalbuild in the TC mode, to see if you can successfully get to a lower wattage or joule setting, and Vape a Kanthal .5 ohm coil at less then 35 watts, since you may not have a direct wattage number to go by, you may have to go by the Vape results. Certainly the difference between the non TC 35 watt limit and let's say a 10 watt or equivalent joule setting in TC MODE, would be quite obvious. Does this simple workaround test make sense as written?

Reactions: gerrymi

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I don't own a D2, as of now. The test to see if the speculative TC workaround for Kanthal coils seems to me to be a .5 ohm coil, either home rolled on an RBA, or a prebuilt coil like a Kanger OCC .5 ohm replaceable coil. In NON TC mode, vaping the D2 with NO step down, on a fresh 18650 cell off charger at approx. 4.2 volts, at 35 watts, should match the results of lowest watt settings the D2 is capable of. Thus far those that have the unit in hand have reported this as proof there is no step down voltage. Now try this same .5 ohm Kanthalbuild in the TC mode, to see if you can successfully get to a lower wattage or joule setting, and Vape a Kanthal .5 ohm coil at less then 35 watts, since you may not have a direct wattage number to go by, you may have to go by the Vape results. Certainly the difference between the non TC 35 watt limit and let's say a 10 watt or equivalent joule setting in TC MODE, would be quite obvious. Does this simple workaround test make sense as written?

To Make it simple:
China does not properly use Joules reference.
China Mods use Joules=watts(which isn't correct)

So in TC mode setting Joules 10-50 is the same as setting watts 10-50
Obviously you loose the 75w potential, but this is for those wishing to run lower watts on an incorrectly corresponding coil anyway.

Pick your preference and enjoy.:)

Reactions: gerrymi

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
If using kanthal in TC mode, does the temp setting matter? Or Ti vs Ni?
I typically run a .5-.6 kanthal coil in a sub tank mini at about 22-23w.
Is it as simple as going in to TC, locking resistance, setting to 22j, and that's it?
(Caveat: I don't have an IPV D2, and I'm not certain, but I'm probably correct.)
No.
Yes.
Maybe.

If you are using Kanthal, the resistance will not vary (much) as the coil heats up, so the D2 cannot calculate any temperature change.

Ti does vary in resistance, but not at the same rate as Ni. So temperature can be approximated with Ti on a device calibrated for Ni. But how accurately, well...

What Joules setting corresponds to Watts we don't know accurately, so start low and increase the Joules to your taste.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
ATM running Magma, Kanthal Dual coil .65ohm
TI mode
15J
400F(experimenting with temp effect) 212 seemed very Mushy, 400 still so-so, but only 15 watts driving (2) coils - gotta verify power drop(yuck-lol)

Final result:
(TBA) Magma holds a lot of liquid

YUCK and Patuee!!!
Okay hated doing it but needed confirmation.
As speculated the low resistance shift is to tight to be read by either TC algorithm.

i.e. - MT mode will allow lower wattage Vaping as far as power supply goes using Kanthal/Nichrome builds.
The user will NOT, I repeat NOT have TC protection using Kanthal/Nichrome Coils.

As long as this is understood, it is no different than using a standard wattage solution.
The unit will also have a low limit of 10J(10 watts)

I comfortably vaped the Magma down to almost completely dry, pushing the edge of burning a wick(or2) but No Liquid message never kicked in.
I also set down to 212F with no change in warning.

The Vape was good(acceptable), even at my 15J setting with surprisingly decent vapor the whole time.
Upon refilling and confirming no damage to wicks/flavor I bumped up to 30J and the performance is excellent.
This tells me I will not have to switch back and forth should I decide to throw a Kanthal tank on the D2 at my typical wattage use.

There you have it. Use care and wade in slowly.
Get comfortable and enjoy!
:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread