IPV D2 step down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey9999

Oct 10, 2013
NJ
Seems to work great in TC mode with kanthal. Firing a .56 ohm coil in my subtank mini, Ni mode 400deg 20J, yields almost identical results to my other mod at 20w.

Did anyone else notice a rattlesnake noise when doing this? From what I read about other yihi chips, I assume it's normal, just haven't had another mod that does it..

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Seems to work great in TC mode with kanthal. Firing a .56 ohm coil in my subtank mini, Ni mode 400deg 20J, yields almost identical results to my other mod at 20w.

Did anyone else notice a rattlesnake noise when doing this? From what I read about other yihi chips, I assume it's normal, just haven't had another mod that does it..

It seems to be more noticable in STM's than other tanks. but surprised you are gettting it on a Kanthal build. The pulse usually starts at set temp, which is not found running Kanthal.
Temp setting has no effect with Kanthal/Nichrome

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It sounds like it is coming from inside the D2, not from the tank. I hear the same noise when firing an actual Ni coil, but not when firing a kanthal coil in normal wattage mode.

Never said it was the tank, just louder on Kanger STM's, like they amplify it. The Noise is actually the mod controlling output is a way more common on Chinese mods using PWM and/or TC. In vw mode your mod is running straight DC-DC power.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
ATM running Magma, Kanthal Dual coil .65ohm
TI mode
15J
400F(experimenting with temp effect) 212 seemed very Mushy, 400 still so-so, but only 15 watts driving (2) coils - gotta verify power drop(yuck-lol)

Final result:
(TBA) Magma holds a lot of liquid

YUCK and Patuee!!!
Okay hated doing it but needed confirmation.
As speculated the low resistance shift is to tight to be read by either TC algorithm.

i.e. - MT mode will allow lower wattage Vaping as far as power supply goes using Kanthal/Nichrome builds.
The user will NOT, I repeat NOT have TC protection using Kanthal/Nichrome Coils.

As long as this is understood, it is no different than using a standard wattage solution.
The unit will also have a low limit of 10J(10 watts)

I comfortably vaped the Magma down to almost completely dry, pushing the edge of burning a wick(or2) but No Liquid message never kicked in.
I also set down to 212F with no change in warning.

The Vape was good(acceptable), even at my 15J setting with surprisingly decent vapor the whole time.
Upon refilling and confirming no damage to wicks/flavor I bumped up to 30J and the performance is excellent.
This tells me I will not have to switch back and forth should I decide to throw a Kanthal tank on the D2 at my typical wattage use.

There you have it. Use care and wade in slowly.
Get comfortable and enjoy!
:)

So in summary, a kanthal coil works ok in TC mode, being able to lower the effective wattage by using the joules to dial in lower wattage settings, correct? Your .65 ohm test should be close to a .5 ohm prebuilt OCC test.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
i just recieved mine today, one thing i noticed right away is when i lock my resistance (Ni200) the resistance fluctuates once i fire it, anyone else noticed this?

Perfectly normal - Working resistance of the wire.
Sit it down for 1 minute.
Pick it up and Quick fire it.
Resistance will have dropped.

You will also notice it does not keep rising but sort of hovers once everything is warmed up assuming you are casually chain vaping.
Let it sit until fully room temp and it reads Locked resistance until you actually fire it to vape.

So in summary, a kanthal coil works ok in TC mode, being able to lower the effective wattage by using the joules to dial in lower wattage settings, correct? Your .65 ohm test should be close to a .5 ohm prebuilt OCC test.
:thumb:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Perfectly normal - Working resistance of the wire.
Sit it down for 1 minute.
Pick it up and Quick fire it.
Resistance will have dropped.

You will also notice it does not keep rising but sort of hovers once everything is warmed up assuming you are casually chain vaping.
Let it sit until fully room temp and it reads Locked resistance until you actually fire it to vape.

:thumb:

Nice work! Thanks, looks like a good purchase despite the short falls.

I have 2 of these. One came yesterday and I'm having problems with it. It's firing all my atomizers at 6-7volts. I even lowered the watts to 10watts and its firing between 5-6 volts. My other one is normal.

My friend told me that the ipv d2 circuit board is too close to the negative and eventually the battery can blow up. Is this true? I got mine from 101vapes and I can't find their email on the website at all.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I have 2 of these. One came yesterday and I'm having problems with it. It's firing all my atomizers at 6-7volts. I even lowered the watts to 10watts and its firing between 5-6 volts. My other one is normal.

My friend told me that the ipv d2 circuit board is too close to the negative and eventually the battery can blow up. Is this true? I got mine from 101vapes and I can't find their email on the website at all.

Responded to your concerns in your own thread.
Please follow up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread