Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
There is a thread in the new members forum that I posted in and while it has gotten old quickly, it got me to thinking.

I know I don't want to vape zero nicotine eliquid (I have and it wasn't for me) but since there are other ways of "getting it," I am here to say that what I am addicted to is vaping nicotine liquid---and that encompasses ECF (and it's highly addictive properties), stalking sites (Monday, AVE will be open), buying supplies (getting vape mail is like waiting on the goods), learning about all the new ways of getting a better vape (learning is a stimulant too) and hitting that button (it's like tapping into a vein). That's all. I think it helps to know precisely what you are addicted to.

Is it the nic?

Man, gum ain't going to cut it.

Is it the nic?

A patch? Get outta here with that.

Is it the nic?

Smoking, for me, was barely about the nicotine, and I would rather vape WTA for the minor alkaloids.

Is it the nic?

As long as it is being delivered via vaping. Without vaping being the server, I am at a loss.

It's about the marriage of the two for me: vaping + nicotine liquid is the addiction, but not solely nicotine or vaping. I can't have one without the other.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
That's the thing about addiction, it is never about just one thing.

With addiction, you form rituals, either consciously and/or subconsciously around things and that keeps you satisfied. And that's why it's so hard to quit, because it has become habit -- it has become a part of your everyday life, your routine, and we are creatures of habit.

I know that I need the nicotine to keep my depression and rage under control -- other drugs have too many side effects and cause too many problems. I know what nicotine does for me, and I can live with that.

SeaTownLassy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Seattle, WA USA
I've only been vaping with mods for only a few months (did cigalikes for 6 months prior to getting eGos, Spinner, Vamo, MVP), finally going completely cig free 28 days ago.....for me now the nic is secondary (although I do notice when my body is running low on nicotine). Its the vape and all things related to taking care of my gear that is addictive. I'm looking for that perfect big plume, and that perfect all day vape (now thinking of going DIY for liquids). Having a mod in my hand or in my jacket's breast pocket while I'm driving is now a "must"....which I find odd because I never handled a cigarette that often while driving.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
When I smoked, I hated the secondary smoke, hated smoked filled rooms, and still do.

When I didn't smoke, like during work or other forms of physicality, I discovered that it wasn't the smoke itself that I needed -- for I had trained myself not to breathe out of my mouth if not smoking. That's how far ingrained the habit of cigarettes had become. It had become a subliminal thing.

So with vaping, I could care less about "big plumes wafting about." I need it to help me breathe out of my mouth, and I like the sensation in my chest. It's how I relax... the breathing...

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
It is my belief that addictions, much like personalities, are unique to the individual in question. Undoubtedly there are similarities, some more obvious than others, like the physical need/desire for nicotine. For me personally, I could care less about creating huge plumes of vapor, I'm mainly after the flavor and of course, the stimulation that nicotine provides.

iceman68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Chicago, IL, USA
Just sitting here thinking about this thread and the replies so far and wondering how to phrase what I want to say. There are so many aspects of this to consider. Is it the nicotine? Is it the vapor? Is it the ACT of vaping?

I'm not really sure what it's all about. I've only been vaping a couple months so I'm no expert. I do know I enjoy a nice vapor plume. If something isn't right and vapor production is poor, well I gotta change something. But I assume the nicotine has to be part of it as well. How addicted to nicotine am I? I don't know. I didn't know when I smoked either. When I switched to vaping I was smoking about 12 cigs a day(give or take). But as a smoker I wasn't really concerned with the amount of smoke that was exhaled after each puff. Never really thought about it. But as a vaper, that is now a concern. I don't know if I could get by with 0mg juice, haven't tried yet. I'm still trying to find my "sweet spot" with nic level, flavors, PG/VG, etc., as well as devices.

I do agree with OP in that the gum and patches and such aren't for me. Tried gum for awhile but - no go. I don't want to chew gum all day long. And yes, I did miss the hand-to-mouth thing. Drugs were out of the question considering the horrible side effects, sickness, and countless other bad things they cause. Have you ever listened to the disclaimer on the TV ads? It's longer than the actual description of the drug itself!

I do know that I devote much, much more time to vaping, and all that's involved with it, than I ever did with smoking. On the internet, placing orders, DIY stuff, changing devices, charging batteries.... Oh, and hours and hours on ECF! I hope this calms down. Can't really see devoting this much time to this one activity. Seems to eclipse everything else. It's an addiction in itself.

Well, I've gone off on too many tangents at this point. Don't even know if I stayed on topic. Hopefully this doesn't come off as some left-field rant.

unquiet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philly
Are there more aspects of vaping I'm "addicted" to than when I was smoking, or simply more that I enjoy?

In American society at least, with all our puritanical foundations, it seems you are only allowed so much fun/enjoyment with something less it be labelled "addictive" behavior, or otherwise "bad."

Hobbies are not addictions, learning is cool, and communicating w. people w. common interests is healthy.

The nic and hand-to-mouth addictions are no longer endangering our well-being or anyone else's, so I call it a draw.

Now, the glassy-eyed glee with which we press that Submit Order button and sprint to our mailboxes - ok, might be some psychopathology there, lol...

Otherwise, vape the frak on.
:vapor:

Smithy963

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2013
Birmingham, UK
I'm a big believer in the strongest factor keeping people hooked on cigarettes is habitual behavior.

I've mentioned a couple of times in posts something similar to this: the hand to mouth gesture, the hit at the back of the throat, the feel of the air bristling past the lips, the plume of smoke/vapor drifting around in front of your face culminates to the 'addiction' or habit of smoking.

The depression when quitting nicotine is what enforces it.

I've quit smoking a couple of times and genuinely enjoyed the experience. Yet some how after a couple of weeks when the nicotine is long gone from my system I've gone back to smoking... why?

I believe it's because I'm too strongly accustomed to the smoking habit.

:2c:

:)

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
Been on my mind since I started.

Comes down to this for me while.I have a widely fun time playing with toys, DIY and the plethora of liquid creations if they were all to go I would soon return to smoking.

Why?

Well while I enjoy vaping facts are that is now how I feed my nicotine addiction.

Stopped smoking but still a nic addict.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
To tell you the truth, I don't over analyze why I vape. The last time I had any thought on the matter was when I lit my last cigarette and had to put it out because I started to gag. When it happened, I had to sit down and process the moment that freed me from the smoking anchor of cigarettes. And yes, I cried for joy. That was 15 months ago and have gone down from 24 mg of nic to 6 mg and sometimes 0 mg.

My body has detoxed most of the vestiges of the additives in cigarettes. I don't have to use a CPAP machine at night so I can breathe and don't toss and turn. On the contrary, I sleep all night. I can walk farther and climb stairs without getting winded. My apartment and car smell clean.

I don't lose sleep because I vape and what others may think of me because I do. The question of whether I'm addicted to anything (including nicotine) doesn't even enter my mind nor does it mentally affect me in any way. I vape because I love the flavors, and to me, that is no more an "addiction" as people munching on breath mints or candy throughout the day.

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Gum and patch don't provide almost instantaneous head-rush in one 5 second hit that vaping does.

It's like a .... addict going from smoking it to wearing a slow delivery over time patch. Doubt they'd get the same experience.

For me with vaping I know for sure it's that 'ping' in my dopamine reward system that I enjoy and I'm not afraid to admit it - I enjoy getting high of nicotine vapor and I used to enjoy smoking only difference is that vaping leaves me feeling much more healthy and less fatigued and is cheaper and has more flavors. Mostly it's the fitness benefits that make it preferable to smoking though.

I'm still an addict and won't pretend I'm not, Just this addiction doesn't make me feel like I'm twenty years older than I actually am and I look years younger since I stopped the smokes and went on the vape every time, better facial sking tone, better muscle tone, no black sputum coughed up in the shower.

It's still a stimulant addiction though, let's not kid ourselves, just a healthier one IMO / IME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread