Is the Smoktech Groove VV VW Mod just vaporware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNCMenteer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2009
Honolulu, HI
So my Groove caught on fire today. I had been having the button not firing issue, but it was still firing every other push or so. I guess the device finally got tired of the over pushes, and I heard a little pop and smoke started pouring out of the vent holes from the back. Since this is an enclosed battery, the only way I could stop the "fire" was to take the device apart and cut the wire. I am really sad because I loved the Groove, and now I am stuck without a HV mod for a couple days. On a good note, The vent holes worked wonderfully. I guess I am off the the classies now to try to find a quick replacment. :(

buffaloguy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Buffalo NY
That is a device failure that should be reported. One of the forum mods I believe they have a short questionaire someplace for things like this that they keep tabs on. Contact a moderator or hopefull one of them will see your post.

Really thats not "oh well no big deal"... you sir should consider yourself very lucky. Thats a li-po in there. Someone else may not have the same luck.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
After having my groove for 3 months or so i noticed the atty connector seems to "wobble". I took it apart and noticed that the connection is held by a thin plastic bracket with metal screws. The bracket had broken at one of the screw points. I took it all apart, cleaned it up, and used some super glue to hold the bracket together. Fixed the problem for a little bit, but it seems to have become wobbly again. Probably broke on the other side of the bracket. Seems to me a metal bracket would have been a better choice. It is important to note that whle the connection was wobbly, the device was still completly functional. I may make a metal bracket myself to fix the issue completly, but just have not had the time. Even with this issue, I still wholeheartedly reccomend this device due to the long battery life, no need to carry batts, and vv/vw, and ease of use. At 60$ish, if it lasts 6months, 10$ a month for this is well worth it. Mahalo!
This happened to me on the Groove I took apart to clean. I do not think I seated the atomizer connection properly which stressed the plastic support bracket and caused the crack. My fix was simple. I took the metal lid from a can of peanuts ($1.00 at Family Dollar) and cut a long thin strip with my kid's safety scissors and then bent it with pliers into the same shape as the plastic bracket. Next I took a nail and punched two screw holes and then installed the bracket - no wobble and the connector sits straight.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread