Joyetech Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisdom

Feb 2, 2014
Sacramento CA
In the beginning, I had a lot of problems with burning and dry hits. All those problems went away when I started priming the coil effectively. What I do is place a new coil on a napkin, or whatever, and then add juice to the top hole that will be inside the tank. When the wick absorbs the juice, I add some more. I keep adding juice until the wick no longer absorbs any. I've even had some juice dribble out of the side holes, which is fine, no worries. I then fill the tank and leave some air in the tank, insert the coil firmly, and vape away without incident. I've not had a single problem since doing things this way.

But the flavor is still bland when compared with, say, a Nautilus tank.
Perfect advice that is exactly what my problem was, Vaping great now. Hard to imagine that over time the coil wouldn't catch up and soak enough juice, but it doesn't seem to without priming... Thanks again

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

Reactions: cooladdict

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
In the beginning, I had a lot of problems with burning and dry hits. All those problems went away when I started priming the coil effectively. What I do is place a new coil on a napkin, or whatever, and then add juice to the top hole that will be inside the tank. When the wick absorbs the juice, I add some more. I keep adding juice until the wick no longer absorbs any. I've even had some juice dribble out of the side holes, which is fine, no worries. I then fill the tank and leave some air in the tank, insert the coil firmly, and vape away without incident. I've not had a single problem since doing things this way.

But the flavor is still bland when compared with, say, a Nautilus tank.

Thanks, good info in here. I have been aware of the Penguin for some time and I must admit that the apparent convenience is intriguing. I'm a sucker for massive juice capacity. I don't want another DTL set up though. If the MTL isn't all that flavorful...I already have an option like that and it works well for me.

unkuser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
New Yawk
Have been using the Penguin for over a week and I am disappointed. Comparing with the other pod system (Envii, Juno, etc). The vape is pretty bland. No throat hit, no satisfaction at all.

The 0.2 coil seems to be better because it produces a warm vapor. You don't get that with the 0.6 coil.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
I love the functionality of the Penguin. There's no juicing spitting in my mouth, the vapor seems relatively copious, even on the 0.6 coil, and when things are done right, there's no leaking from the cartridges. I did have one major flood that went through my Penguin and leaked out the bottom, but I think I failed to properly seat that coil into the cartridge. Fortunately, the Penguin still works just fine. I just blew out the leaked juice, wiped up the mess, and everything's back to "normal."

Unfortunately, "normal" mean lots of nearly tasteless vapor that suggests a nearly dry coil. I don't know, guys, I just cannot get any flavor out of these coils. So, today I find myself hitting my Plato, and, well, it's tasty. :D

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I love the functionality of the Penguin. There's no juicing spitting in my mouth, the vapor seems relatively copious, even on the 0.6 coil, and when things are done right, there's no leaking from the cartridges. I did have one major flood that went through my Penguin and leaked out the bottom, but I think I failed to properly seat that coil into the cartridge. Fortunately, the Penguin still works just fine. I just blew out the leaked juice, wiped up the mess, and everything's back to "normal."

Unfortunately, "normal" mean lots of nearly tasteless vapor that suggests a nearly dry coil. I don't know, guys, I just cannot get any flavor out of these coils. So, today I find myself hitting my Plato, and, well, it's tasty. :D
It's so weird how some of us are getting great flavor from these coils and some are not. It makes me wonder if there is a glitch in the manufacturing process or something. The only coil I have had trouble with is the one that came with the kit.

Reactions: dennism

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
This Penguin is the most infuriating thing ever. Half of the coils are amazing and give this perfect, dense flavor with great wicking... and half are complete garbage, don't wick for .... and burn up what juice they do seep through instantly. If the coils were all like the good ones i've got from 2 extra 5-packs... this thing would be un-beatable.

As it is now i'm going to look at the Aspire Breeze with PCC / Envii Fitt / Sigelei Compak F1 as Mexico vacation alternatives. Not risking any of the BilletBoxes.

unkuser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
New Yawk
As it is now i'm going to look at the Aspire Breeze with PCC / Envii Fitt / Sigelei Compak F1 as Mexico vacation alternatives. Not risking any of the BilletBoxes.

I have the Envii, and it's a lot better than the Penguin. One Envii pod last for 2 days.

IceRail

Jun 15, 2013
IL, USA
Old school tag (not sure how else to subscribe:(). This is one thread I really want to keep up with!

The things are so cheap, it's hard not to order one. The pure simplicity is almost too good to pass up (although I'd pay a few bucks more for VW or VV).

After the initial reviews, I want one. The only thing stopping me is that over-complicated ceramic coil - I'm concerned about leaks.

Oh,.. and the price of those weird coils.... :yawn:

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
Old school tag (not sure how else to subscribe:(). This is one thread I really want to keep up with!

The things are so cheap, it's hard not to order one. The pure simplicity is almost too good to pass up (although I'd pay a few bucks more for VW or VV).

After the initial reviews, I want one. The only thing stopping me is that over-complicated ceramic coil - I'm concerned about leaks.

The coils aren't ceramic, as of yet no leaks.

unkuser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2009
New Yawk
It seems the problem lies with the coils. Consistency is ..... Some are great and others will dry hit constantly. The device really just needs some quality coils and it would be perfect.

I was about to report the same thing. The 0.6 coil included with the Penguin was bad. Dry hits and no flavor. Threw it out and put a new 0.6 coil and it's much better.

Has anybody used Nicotine Salts with the Penguin?

Last edited:

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
I was about to report the same thing. The 0.6 coil included with the Penguin was bad. Dry hits and no flavor. Threw it out and put a new 0.6 coil and it's much better.

Has anybody used Nicotine Salts with the Penguin?
Yup. Both mine and the wife's stock (2) coils were junk. Replacements are better but not every one unfortunately. I have some Nude Nicotine's HIT salts coming in this week so i'm going to do some mixing at different levels and attempt to dial down the perfect % for the Penguin and the 0.6 coil. I'll post back when i've figured out a good mix.

Pheric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
www.elegomall.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Supplier posting outside authorized areas

Pheric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
www.elegomall.com
  • Deleted by retired1

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Cleaning up / Collateral Damage

Pheric

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
www.elegomall.com
  • Deleted by retired1

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation

There has been ZERO leaking with this setup. Well, except for when I didn't seat the coil all the way and I had a little in the bottom of the mod, but it was minimal and cleaned up completely, both from the mod itself and from the bottom of the tank. It's nice because everything is so contained that the only thing that gets wet are the 2 contacts. It's a solid little device. It would be VERY hard to get leakage from the ceramic coil because of the way it plugs into the silicone housing. I have a spare cartridge on order just so I have a backup, but I have had no need to replace the cartridge so far. The coils, when they work well, last a really long time. I have 2 5-packs and I have only used 1 coil out of them so far. I've been on this one for 3 weeks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread