Joyetech Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredean

Oct 9, 2014
Canada
Hi, @Fredean! I know this post is a little bit old, but I just got an used Penguin SE device today. I've read about the coils wicking / burning problem before purchasing it but I thought I could give it a try. First I've tried to use an used coil from the previous owner, cleaned it up a bit with a cotton swab. Pocked two holes in it and used a 50/50 juice. It lasted about 20 puffs or less, then I got a dry / harsh throat hit. Throwed it out and tried a new 0.6ohm coil. Did the same: pocked two holes in it, wicked it really well and let it in the tank for 40 minutes. Before firing it I sucked in the airflow a couple of times. I think I did that with too much force and got liquid in my mouth. So I opened it up, cleaned it and started vaping. It was gurgling a bit, and minutes later I started to get juice in my mouth. Removed the cartridge and noticed some leaking. Maybe I shouldn't have done the two holes in it for a 50/50 juice? I just put a little of a 70/30 juice in the tank because it's thicker. I'll try to vape with this coil with a 70/30 juice and for 50/50 I'll poke just one hole.

What's your experience with it?

Did you had any problems with the leakage damaging the battery?

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Sorry, haven't been checking on here for a little while. My advice to you is to never, ever get the 0.6 ohm coils. I've bought 2 packs of those and none of them lasted more than a few puffs before burning up. Always get the 0.25, although even those I get a faulty pack every 3-4 times. Ugh, such a waste of money. I always poke a single hole in the top and prime the coil well. I used to poke 2 holes but also experienced leakage so I stopped. Note that you ''will'' get leakage with this device if you carry it in your pocket all day so make a habit of taking out the cartridge 4-5 times a day and wiping off the bottom (on your jeans even, doesn't really matter) and cleaning up device if needed. The VG PG % didn't seem to affect the coils, never had issues because of that.

You ''will'' waste money of coils with this device because, like I said, from experience, 1 in 3-4 batches of 5 coils will be bad and just won't wick properly. So when you get a pack of coils that work, be grateful! ahaha

I never had issues with leakage affecting the battery even if I had juice spilling out of the micro-usb port! This will probably become an issue for you eventually if you keep using the penguin for long enough. Just try to manage the leaks but I wouldn't be too worried, I don't think the battery is just going to blow up in your face because of leakage (although IDK, it might, I just personally never had battery problems).

My advice: Through out the .6 ohm coils and stop wasting your time. Get a batch of .25 and pray to God that they work! :) Sorry if I couldn't be of more help!

• Optimistic
Reactions: mikepetro

Thiago C

Ultra Member
Feb 11, 2018
Some observations since I've been using the Penguin for 10 days. I'm still using my first 0.6ohm coil. Incredibly, it seems that just now the coil "broke in". The flavor was just meh until today, which is very weird. I just put some juice in it and could definitely taste a lot more nuances that wasn't perceptible in the first week.

I'm having a hell of a trouble with leaking, however, as I mentioned earlier. But it got worse. If I "chain vape" on it, like, take three puffs in a row or so, it starts to gurgle. It I put it upside down, it will leak through the chimney or through the airflow. I have to open and clean it up all the time. Like 5 times a day or more. But today I noticed that some juice was leaking from the battery venting.

upload_2018-2-23_19-21-30.png

I think it's not possible to see in the photo, but I got some leakage in there. I was a little worried at first, but I don't know what to do.

I thought to throw this coil in the garbage but I don't want to wait for another week to get good flavor from a new coil. Also, I'm so miserable and broke right now that I don't have money to buy new coils, so I'll try to use this one until the end and clean the tank more times to prevent the leakage to get in the battery.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-23_19-21-26.png
    upload_2018-2-23_19-21-26.png
    2 KB · Views: 17

Thiago C

Ultra Member
Feb 11, 2018
Sorry, haven't been checking on here for a little while. My advice to you is to never, ever get the 0.6 ohm coils. I've bought 2 packs of those and none of them lasted more than a few puffs before burning up. Always get the 0.25, although even those I get a faulty pack every 3-4 times. Ugh, such a waste of money. I always poke a single hole in the top and prime the coil well. I used to poke 2 holes but also experienced leakage so I stopped. Note that you ''will'' get leakage with this device if you carry it in your pocket all day so make a habit of taking out the cartridge 4-5 times a day and wiping off the bottom (on your jeans even, doesn't really matter) and cleaning up device if needed. The VG PG % didn't seem to affect the coils, never had issues because of that.

You ''will'' waste money of coils with this device because, like I said, from experience, 1 in 3-4 batches of 5 coils will be bad and just won't wick properly. So when you get a pack of coils that work, be grateful! ahaha

I never had issues with leakage affecting the battery even if I had juice spilling out of the micro-usb port! This will probably become an issue for you eventually if you keep using the penguin for long enough. Just try to manage the leaks but I wouldn't be too worried, I don't think the battery is just going to blow up in your face because of leakage (although IDK, it might, I just personally never had battery problems).

My advice: Through out the .6 ohm coils and stop wasting your time. Get a batch of .25 and pray to God that they work! :) Sorry if I couldn't be of more help!

@Fredean, I've tried the 0.25ohm coil and found it horrible. Flavor wise, it tasted like plastic and ceramic -- much less flavor than the 0.6ohm. And the DL airflow really not suits my style. :-(

Thanks for your kind reply!

Reactions: Fredean

Fredean

Oct 9, 2014
Canada
@Fredean, I've tried the 0.25ohm coil and found it horrible. Flavor wise, it tasted like plastic and ceramic -- much less flavor than the 0.6ohm. And the DL airflow really not suits my style. :-(

Thanks for your kind reply!

Whatever floats your boat! :) I just had nasty experiences with those, though maybe I just got 2 bad batches back to back and just decided to never try it again! Enjoy your vaping!

I don't really know what you can do for the leak. Try to keep it upright as much as possible if you're carrying it in your pocket. You can try taking apart the coil from the cartridge, cleaning up everything, blowing in the airflow, etc and trying again. I also found that sticking a Q-Tip in the mouthpiece to clean up the excess juice helps if you don't want to take it all apart.

BTW if you get a big enough leak, it will leak inside your bottom vents. Shouldn't be a problem, just wipe it off, take out the cartridge and clean up. It happened to me many times when carrying it around in my pocket!

Bottom line is, in my opinion, this is a cheap-o device (sorry if this offends anyone, this is based on my personal experience with it over months) . It's great, I used it for a long while and didn't want to change but got a Smok Al85 on boxing day anyway. Although I still wished I could still use the penguin because I miss it, it's no nonsense ease of use and the 8ml capacity, playing russian roulette by buying another pack of coils and generally dealing with all the leaks makes this product unattractive to me as of now.

I am not suggesting you go out and buy another device, not at all, this is all imho! I am 100% confident that you will figure out how to use this little beast while reducing all these issues eventually! :)

Reactions: Thiago C

Toots

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
USA
Some observations since I've been using the Penguin for 10 days. I'm still using my first 0.6ohm coil. Incredibly, it seems that just now the coil "broke in". The flavor was just meh until today, which is very weird. I just put some juice in it and could definitely taste a lot more nuances that wasn't perceptible in the first week.

I'm having a hell of a trouble with leaking, however, as I mentioned earlier. But it got worse. If I "chain vape" on it, like, take three puffs in a row or so, it starts to gurgle. It I put it upside down, it will leak through the chimney or through the airflow. I have to open and clean it up all the time. Like 5 times a day or more. But today I noticed that some juice was leaking from the battery venting.

View attachment 724865

I think it's not possible to see in the photo, but I got some leakage in there. I was a little worried at first, but I don't know what to do.

I thought to throw this coil in the garbage but I don't want to wait for another week to get good flavor from a new coil. Also, I'm so miserable and broke right now that I don't have money to buy new coils, so I'll try to use this one until the end and clean the tank more times to prevent the leakage to get in the battery.

If the cartridge that you are using is a used (inherited one), it may be missing or displaced the tiny o ring that is in the cartridge. This could cause leaking out of the cartridge. I removed the silicone piece from my cartridge for cleaning and discovered an o ring in the cartridge. I nearly lost it. I assume it belongs where the silicone piece meets the plastic cartridge. It may be worth trying a new cartridge. They cost only a couple of $.

Reactions: Thiago C

Cyryl5

Feb 26, 2018
My Dolphin died this week. It won't light up when I try to fire it. When I put it on the charger, all 5 lights will light up for a minute or so and then they go out. I kept my dolphin in my coat pocket. all I can figure is that I got snow in the pocket from my gloves and then it melted and went into the dolphin. Hoping it will dry out and come back to life. Of course, that may not be the problem. Haven't tried a different coil yet. Anyone else have something similar happen to their dolphin or penguin?

I also had my Penguin die last week.

I mean, it is fully charged, it just doesn't do anything when I press the button. If I keep pressing it, all the lights blink once, as it would do if I didn't have any cartage or coil placed in it. I don't know what's happening, I mean it shouldn't be broken.

I tried changing the coil, still the same thing.

Before it died permanently, I was starting to have the problem, where I was pressing hard on the button for it to actually fire up, now it doesn't work at all, but that was the case only in the last day before it completely died. Again, I mention the lights still work, so theoretically it should be fine. It acts as if it doesn't sense the coil/cartage being placed on the battery.

If anyone knows anything, please let us know. I couldn't find anything on the internet, by searching google. Thanks.

Thiago C

Ultra Member
Feb 11, 2018
Has anyone tried the JVIC 1.2ohm coils on Penguin (or Dolphin)?

I was thinking about getting the JVIC 1.2ohm coil for the Penguin. Currently I'm using the 0.6ohm for MTL (I tried the 0.25ohm coil and didn't like it -- the airflow don't suit my style and the flavor is bad (I could taste ceramic and didn't want to wait til it break in). The 0.6ohm coil has good flavor, its not superb, but it's ok, so I wonder if the 1.2ohm is good or not. Does anyone have any thoughts about it?

Thiago C

Ultra Member
Feb 11, 2018
If the cartridge that you are using is a used (inherited one), it may be missing or displaced the tiny o ring that is in the cartridge. This could cause leaking out of the cartridge. I removed the silicone piece from my cartridge for cleaning and discovered an o ring in the cartridge. I nearly lost it. I assume it belongs where the silicone piece meets the plastic cartridge. It may be worth trying a new cartridge. They cost only a couple of $.

Hi, @Toots! Thanks for your suggestion. I do think that my only cartridge is not 100% (it doesn't have that metal plate that I saw in some videos [does anyone knows what's the purpose of it by the way?]). I'll get a new cartridge in the future. Unfortunately it's not easy to find them in my country, but I'll try to buy it online.

Thiago C

Ultra Member
Feb 11, 2018
Aaaalllriight. NOW I know what you meant about those coils being pure garbage. My first good coil lasted about two weeks. My second coil lasted less, one week or so, and started to taste burnt today, even though the cotton was clean as in day one, since I'm using clean juices without sweeteners, but that's ok.

So I got a 0.6ohm coil from my pack and did all the ritual: poked one hole in the cotton and primed it really well. After that I let it sit for about 20 minutes. (I'm using a 60/40 VG/PG juice). When I tried to puff it tasted like... I don't even have words to describe it. It was awful and I never tasted something like that in my life. Since I was trying a new juice on it, I thought that maybe it was the juice... Also, with my second coil I got some burnt taste in the beginning and after some time it disappeared. So I kept puffing on it, without inhaling, to check if that flavor was going away. Oh, boy, I was wrong. Being naive as I am I thought that maybe that taste was from the new juice. So I threw it away and put a good juice on it. Then I had to keep puffing on it to get away from the old juice, right? I tried to not inhale but it was like vaping a puke flavored juice. Eventually I got tired of it and threw that coil in the garbage. Got a new coil and primed it really well. Then I waited for two and a half hours. Tried to puff on it and, uhm, it was ok. On the third puff it tasted burnt. It's probably another bad coil. I'm totally hopeless and don't even want to put that in my mouth again. This is garbage. Aside from the fact that a SINGLE COIL in my country costs $5 USD, which is more than a pack with 20 cigarettes.

Does anyone contacted Joyetech to let them know about these problems? And, if so, they did absolutely NOTHING? That's a joke and completely disrespectful towards their customers. I will never buy anything from Joyetech again.

Thiago C

Ultra Member
Feb 11, 2018
anything that is mass produced will have issues at times to totally blame a company for a some bad products when others have had no problems or found easy fixes is not right. Remember you are buying an inexpensive item so costs have to be cut somewhere

Thanks for your input, @medleypat. It's surely not an expensive item for those who live in the USA. But I paid $55 USD for a Penguin in my country, so it's not cheap either. The coils are not cheap as well. Each coil costs the price of two pack of cigarettes, and the pack of cigarettes here are not cheap. That's not the kind of thing that makes you happy to throw in the trash after it not functioning properly. Also, I can't think of another market that has this kind of problems with their products. I've bought a pack of 5 coils for $5 USD each coil. Now imagine that I go to a supermarket and buy 5 frozen lasagnas. I open the first lasagna, put it into the microwave and taste it. Oh, it tastes like vomit, so I'm gonna throw this one in the trash and try the other one, and the other, and the other and the other, but every lasagna tastes awful. I can't see that happening.

medleypat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2016
Frankfort Indiana
sorry things are so expensive in your country but you also have to look at where they are coming from but my point is so many other people are not having the major problems you are having that maybe it is the way you are using it if yoiu read the whole thread in the beginning it seemed people were having problems but moost are saying now with a few tricks they are having no problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread