Just got my first Reo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyrtyByrd

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Ohio
What is your wick of choice? For one thing, with a squonker, you don't need tails. I clip my wicks about a mm on each side. Also, if you use cotton, it needs to be sparse enough that it can actually slide easily through the coil when it's dry. For rayon, on the other hand, I make my wicks pretty tight, but still no tails. The cotton swells, the rayon doesn't.

Take the top off and watch your liquid saturate your wick a few times. I usually get maybe 4-5 hits from one squonk..
I use cotton most of the time. I didn't know I wouldn't need tails? Maybe that's my problem. Haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
I wick cotton tight like a Scottish roll, I usually run 3mm coils, cotton on the deck & get easy 5 great wet Vapes per squonk. I also squonk the bottle for a few seconds until the juice comes up in between the coil & post. Pull your Atty & watch your squonk, when you see liquid feeding up the wick release it, you'll get the hang of it, welcome to the best vape you've ever experienced :thumb:

Reactions: Robinowitz

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
There are lots of wicking variables with different wicking materials, what is commonly considered the right ways to do each of them and the ways that are not but work just fine too. As a very long draw lung hitter and flavor chaser I seldom follow what some may call the norm for wicks. To get more than a couple of hits between squonks, I want a lot of wick to hold a lot of joose, yet not cook it/hamper an atty from draining after the squonk. I only use KGD 3mm and RxW in all my atty's now days. With the cotton what works best for me in any atty is coils wrapped on 2.5 or 3mm forms, with tight Scottish rolled wick and tails that are long enough for the very ends of them to just rest on the deck. With RxW I leave the tails long enough for the ends to just touch the deck as well. Same with high center parallel coils with either cotton or RxW, the tail ends to also just reach the deck. I run each of my ADV's in 2-3 or more Reos that each have different attys on them. So my builds for an ADV can vary for the best flavor rich vapor from it in each atty I run it in.

DyrtyByrd

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Ohio
Thanks all for the replies guys! I decided to spend Friday night and most of today backpacking a short loop. Reo tagged along of course. But I still don't think I'm wicking this atty correctly. I'm really good at getting burnt hits with it. I guess it just takes some time to get the hang of it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Reactions: SteamStack

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Can you take a picture of your coil and wick? That would help us see where the problem might be. Take the top off and watch the juice come up and wash over the coil. Then you'll get a feel for how long to squonk. It'll become second nature soon. Maybe take the wick out and dry burn your coil to see if you have a hot leg. Whenever I feel a burnt/harsh hit, that's usually my problem. A picture would help us sooooo much.....

Reactions: Spydro

DyrtyByrd

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2014
Ohio
61e293db179685bb3bb3998679a87590.jpg

Here's what I'm running now. I guess if I saw some of your guys' setups this would be a little easier

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Yeah - looks like way too much wicking. With a squonker, you just need to have the wick tails extend past the coil and maybe touch the deck. Some folks have only 1mm of tail extending past the ends of the coil. Unlike top fed dripping, you don't need to worry about holding a reservoir of juice in the atty - in fact, it's to be avoided as it can lead to things like juice cooking.

It doesn't look like you've got too, too much wick in terms of thickness, but maybe try and backing that off a tad, too. Looks good, otherwise, though. Nice job.

Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread