Status
Not open for further replies.

Vap0rnomics

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2014
United States
Whats up fellow vape lovers? I searched to see if a thread on the SUBTANK Mini had been created and I could not find one so I created this. If one already exists feel free to merge them. Here is my review of the KangerTech SUBTANK Mini. I am loving this tank!
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 12.8000001907349px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

Vap0rnomics

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2014
United States
I really like the improvements they made on the RBA. Also, it comes with an extra set of seals...very nice.

The price is high though eh? I'll probably wait and see if the price comes down after a month or so. Thanks for the vid.

I have already seen the mini available for $36.99. Not bad.

jafmf95

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
Potatoland
I have already seen the mini available for $36.99. Not bad.

VaporBeast, coupon code “YEAHBABY” brings it to $35.05. Best I've seen so far...

Edit: Ooops. How about this one: VaporDNA, $33.29, coupon code "DNA10".

Last edited:

time2quit

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2013
upstate new york
Whats up fellow Vape lovers? I searched to see if a thread on the SUBTANK Mini had been created and I could not find one so I created this. If one already exists feel free to merge them. Here is my review of the KangerTech SUBTANK Mini. I am loving this tank!
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-size: 12.8000001907349px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

Question my friend...I've got mine coming in the mail soon. What type of hit do you get if you put a drip tip on that is not a "wide" tip? Something similar to the Aspire Nautailus drip tip. I don't care for a hit that goes straight to my lungs. I like to Vape the same way I smoked. Take a pull...gather smoke in my mouth...then take it to my lungs. Ya know?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Just got my Subtank mini. It's in the ultrasonic right now getting the machine oil smell out of it...grrrr. Why doesn't Kanger clean this stuff. No oily residue, just the strong machine oil smell like every other Subtank I've seen (17 of them now, the 25mm). This is just not the way to get a tank Kanger!!

But the good news, the size is great and the tank looks awesome on any mod now. Not that muffin top look like the 25mm tank. Standard drip tips fit perfect and flush, unlike the 25mm tank. The insulator is the clear peek insulator. The air flow looks wide open on the build deck which should be a huge improvement over the 25mm tank. I know Phil complained it was hard to get the sleeve to unscrew from the build deck and I saw the same issue until I did what is common with other build deck sleeves and just unscrewed it lightly instead of trying to force it with brute strength. Work perfect and came off easily. I tried this several times and the same results. So a light touch will serve well with this I think.

The top oring is much thicker and holds the glass pretty tightly. So those that thought it was too loose and spilled juice because of that will be very happy. I never had that issue with the bigger tank, but I do feel this is much more secure and like the change.

The AFC ring has the large slot like the Atlantis on the largest air setting and has a detent to hold it there, but it moves up and down very easily (too easily maybe) and can give a little rattle if I shake the tank. I don't have any intention on shaking a tank with juice in it, so I don't really see this as a problem, just a mention since I noticed it.

I will get the tank out of the ultrasonic in about 30 minutes and will try the .5ohm prebuilt first and while I'm vaping it will wick the prebuilt spaced coil on the deck and then give it a try. I really like that I can just change out prebuilt to deck in seconds without draining the juice... great change to the 22mm.

These are just a few thoughts while preparing the tank, I'll add a little something later on the actual vaping when I get it clean and filled.

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
This will be the next tank I buy to go along with my Atlantis. I have heard the mini has better vapor and flavor than the large one.

~Metimbo

I can see that it has better vapor but it uses the same coil so not sure how that could be better. I will be picking up the mini soon. I thought about the nano but like the RBA part too

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
OK... have tried both the .5 OCC and the stock coil on the build deck and here's my first thoughts.

.5 OCC- Better than the 25mm with the OCC in a couple of ways. Airflow is better and not as noisy when using the largest airflow slot when compared to the 25mm with 3 holes open. It feels like the airflow of the Atlantis offering very little resistance in the draw. Clearly a better draw for me, I really like it. As a result of the better airflow I feel it produces more vapor than the 25mm and seems to be just as big a cloud machine as the Atlantis. It is a dramatic difference I think.

Flavor is really good, as you would expect with cotton. I started at 20watts and the vape was great and very flavorful. I'm using the Artist Collection Samba Sun which is very tart orange citrus, and it almost makes me pucker. I bumped it up to 25watts and the flavor is slightly better, still with distinct flavor notes of the Clementine, peach, and apricot. Great flavor and the vapor is really good but not much better than 20watts. Took it to 30 watts and the flavor was still good, but lost some of the distinction between the different flavors and vapor was similar to 25watts. For me, 25watts is the best for flavor, so I backed down to that. The surprise is that with the mini the drip tip never got hot. That was one of my complaints with the 25mm. At 25watts or above the drip tip got much too hot for my taste, the vapor wasn't too hot... just the drip tip. With the mini I'm guessing the increased airflow helps with that. Really nice vape overall. Wattage is going to be juice dependent I'm sure, but for this juice 25watts is stellar.

Prebuilt coil on the build deck- OK, here's where this tank really shines (not that there's anything wrong with the OCC coils, there's not), but this newly designed build deck has the same airflow as the OCC now and gives the same airflow characteristics. From an airflow standpoint you can't tell the difference from the OCC coil (and remember this tank has better airflow than the 25mm tank because of the slotted largest hole). To me this is huge. The flavor is perhaps just a bit better than the OCC, it's really just that good. For any that were a bit disappointed with the build deck on the 25mm (like me... too tight a draw), you are going to love this deck. If you enjoy doing builds there is never a reason to buy another OCC coil. Not that the OCC coils are bad, they are great for a plug and play coil head. It's just this build deck is first rate and I think will pretty much rival any RTA out there right now. And to put it in perspective, I didn't like the build deck in the 25mm tank. I thought it was a waste of space in the box quite honestly. I haven't built on this deck yet, I'm just using the pre-installed coil (which measures .5ohm) so there may even be room for improvement. I'll get to that after I enjoy a few tanks with this setup. A little tip: Unscrew the top cap of the build deck assembly (the knurled part) where the chimney plugs into and you can plug the build deck into it to use as a stand to build or wick your coil. Works nicely.

So early conclusion: I'm piffing my big Subtank. This is all around a better tank in vapor, flavor, and ease of use. I haven't used it much yet so maybe there will be some negatives that surface, but the only negative I have right now is it smelled like machine oil out of the package and had to be cleaned before using. This is a positive evolution from the 25mm tank and it's obvious Kanger took all complaints to heart and really fine tuned this version of the Subtank. Truly stellar tank, just get one.

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
I got my Subtank Mini in today, it is really nice, vapes well, and I feel the flavor is definitely superior to the Atlantis, which I have been using for approximately 3 weeks. One thing that is a big negative for me, but I'm hoping there is an easy fix for, is the drip tip. I am running the stock OCC .5 ohm coil at 19-23 watts, which isn't very high considering I can run the Atlantis at up to 33w. The drip tip on this SubTank gets crazy hot, to the point I can't take a vape longer than 3 seconds. I tried two other drip tips on it that don't quite fit, and these don't get nearly as hot, just a little bit warm, nothing uncomfortable. Very strange. Thankfully, I have a Pyrex Drip Tip coming tomorrow that I got in a trade, so I'm hoping it fits and solves the problem. Otherwise, I will be on the hunt for a compatible tip that doesn't get hot. Anyone else having this issue?

underwhelmd

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Canada
Not the mini, but the original... The drip tips are likely the same or close. First thing I did was replace it. Too hot and changed the taste of the vapor to me, didn't like.

I've been using this frosted glass tip. Fits firm, doesn't move. The draw is correct for me, ymmv. Does not get hot or even warm. Easy to clean.

IMG_20150122_204139.jpg

medic181075

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2014
Bradford, PA
Just got my Mini about an hour ago. I am new to this style tank. My tank of choice prior to this was the mini protank 2 with an atomizer rebuilt with KGD cotton. This is a major leap forward for me. I have to hooked to an MVP 20w, so the 0.5 ohm coil had to get swapped out. It seems the optimum power for my preference and the 1.2 ohm coil is 15 watts.

Anyway, my initial thoughts (which are subjective):
Don't like the drip tip - swapped out for the standard drip tip from the mini protank 2.
Flavor - even though I was using atomizers rebuilt with KGD cotton in my mini protank 2, the flavor in the Mini is AMAZING!
The Mini is a bit to open for my preference, even in the one hole position - consider what I was using before.
It is a warm vape, but at the 15 watt setting with the 1.2 ohm coil, the drip tip doesn't seem to get hot at all.
I have never done straight lung inhales, but I can see how higher power with a lower ohm build could get the drip tip to heat up.
Finally, with this tank, I think I may need to cut down the nic level in my e-liquid. That is not a bad thing. It just proves what I was missing when vaping my old set up.

So, my one complaint about the tank, which I already covered - I wish there was an additional smaller airflow hole for us mouth to lung people.

I haven't done anything with the RBA deck yet, but I plan as soon as I get home from work.

Last edited:

BigMak45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Central Minnesota
So, my one complaint about the tank, which I already covered - I wish there was an additional smaller airflow hole for us mouth to lung people.

I've been used to M to L on my Nautilus, and I agree. I've found closing the one hole even more, like closing it off by 2/3 helps. A more restrictive drip tip helps, too. Still, i like that I can easily re-wick or rebuild to save money on all the bvc's I'm blowing through. And cotton, not the mystery wick in the Nauty.

BigMak45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Central Minnesota

I've been used to M to L on my Nautilus, and I agree. I've found closing the one hole even more, like closing it off by 2/3 helps. A more restrictive drip tip helps, too. Still, i like that I can easily re-wick or rebuild to save money on all the bvc's I'm blowing through. And cotton, not the mystery wick in the Nauty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread