Status
Not open for further replies.

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
Anyone try the Mini with the Aspire Sub ohm battery? I believe it runs around 30 watts with my Atlantis, sounds like most users recommend 25-27 watts on the mini. I'd like to try the Mini with my Aspire Sub ohm but concerned it might burn the coils, I'd rather not buy another battery/mod if it works well together.

Last edited:

silversmok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I got the mini yesterday and I am getting dry hits like crazy with any juice I use (50/50 or 70vg) at anything over 17 watts. Anybody have any advice, I prejuiced the coil but it still happens like every 3rd puff. Only way around it is to block the airhole and suck like crazy so it bubbles and then I am good for 1-2 more puffs and then back to dry hits.

Bahumba

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
I got the mini yesterday and I am getting dry hits like crazy with any juice I use (50/50 or 70vg) at anything over 17 watts. Anybody have any advice, I prejuiced the coil but it still happens like every 3rd puff. Only way around it is to block the airhole and suck like crazy so it bubbles and then I am good for 1-2 more puffs and then back to dry hits.

Bahumba

Sorry to here this, are you using the .5 occ coil? also have you tried the build deck with the prebuilt coil, that's what I'd do next if I was in your shoes.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Anyone try the Mini with the Aspire Sub ohm battery? I believe it runs around 30 watts with my Atlantis, sounds like most users recommend 25-27 watts on the mini. I'd like to try the Mini with my Aspire Sub ohm but concerned it might burn the coils, I'd rather not buy another battery/mod if it works well together.

The Aspire Sub Ohm battery is not regulated. Protected, but not regulated. So whatever the the current battery voltage is, minus the voltage drop across the atomizer, is the voltage you're going to get. And that applied voltage is going to decrease as the battery depletes.

Best case scenario, with a full charge, you might get 28 Watts on a 0.5Ω coil.

Or in other words, it will work just fine.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
I have never been one for aesthetics. I have always been about function and ease of function. I guess that is why I am posting this. The red o-rings are starting to bother me. Some people don't think this tank is flashy enough. I think it is too flashy. Is there a reason the O-rings are red? Is it a material color, or just for looks? I would much prefer black, grey or white o-rings. Is there a chance that Kanger will eventually release other colored o-rings for the SubTank line?

You could always wrap some black, grey or white vinyl pin stripe around the O-ring portions of the tank. :)

silversmok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Sorry to here this, are you using the .5 occ coil? also have you tried the build deck with the prebuilt coil, that's what I'd do next if I was in your shoes.

Yes I am using the 0.5 coil. I am soaking the rebuilding section in alcohol now to get rid of the machine oil smell and then I was going to try it and see how it worked,. Pbasardo was in love with this rba but I don't see how it's good at all with these dry hits.

I hope the rebuildable is better but I wonder why the coil section for me is crap?!

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
Yes I am using the 0.5 coil. I am soaking the rebuilding section in alcohol now to get rid of the machine oil smell and then I was going to try it and see how it worked,. Pbasardo was in love with this rba but I don't see how it's good at all with these dry hits.

I hope the rebuildable is better but I wonder why the coil section for me is crap?!

Did you get it good and saturated first?

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014

Sounds like you did everything right. There's been other post about the occ coil lasting only two days, hate to say it but sounds like you got a bum coil. Now fire up that prebuilt coil and report back:D

I've seen most of the reviews on the Mini but I don't think anyone has mentioned what kind of wattage is best on the prebuilt. Anyone care to add how they like the mini rba base?

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
The Aspire Sub Ohm battery is not regulated. Protected, but not regulated. So whatever the the current battery voltage is, minus the voltage drop across the atomizer, is the voltage you're going to get. And that applied voltage is going to decrease as the battery depletes.

Best case scenario, with a full charge, you might get 28 Watts on a 0.5Ω coil.

Or in other words, it will work just fine.

That's good news, thanks for the info.

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
@Vap0rnomics

Do you still have both the Mini & Nano?
What's the diameter of both the Mini RBA section and the OCC coil (opposite edges through center)? Their height seems pretty much the same.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if you can run the RBA base from the Mini in the Nano. Tony says he didn't succeed but I'm wondering where it got stuck. From just looking at the RBA it must be very close. Maybe it just needs some modification of the tanks inside framework!?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I'm not able to run the mini above 20w without the wick going dry, unless I pull on it hard. Harder than any of the many rtas I own. A couple of primer puffs gets it wetted up nice but then the same thing happens. The dryish hits start after the first few draws when the vacuum draws the first bubbles after filling. Problem stops at near empty tank when vacuum breaks.

The build is a twisted 32awg KA1, 8 wrap, 3/32 dia, 2.1 ohm. KGD wicking is touching the juice deck but away from juice channels. Juice is 50/50. Airflow is set to middle positiion. Wicked this thing in every config I know but what the heck? Hearing reports here of peeps running 27w. Wazup?!

Last edited:

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
Wicked this thing in every config I know but what the heck? Hearing reports here of peeps running 27w. Wazup?!

I built this using the included cotton, and wasn't getting dry hits, but felt like it was just right on the edge of giving dry hits. Rewicked with rayon, cut it exactly the way I would my wife's Kayfun, and it's been vaping great all day. I was actually glad I had to rewick because I forgot to check if I had the updated insulator when I put it together, and I do which made me happy. Good luck.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I built this using the included cotton, and wasn't getting dry hits, but felt like it was just right on the edge of giving dry hits. Rewicked with rayon, cut it exactly the way I would my wife's Kayfun, and it's been vaping great all day. I was actually glad I had to rewick because I forgot to check if I had the updated insulator when I put it together, and I do which made me happy. Good luck.

Yes, riding on the edge of dry hits. Even at 20w I have to be carefull not to take long pulls or it will dry right up on me. Even if it sits idle for 5 minutes I can vape it dry in 4 sec at 25w.

Updated insulator? The device came with some extra little white insulators. Is there a particular one that I should be using?

Cc rayon is a no go for me.....The taste never goes away for me.

Last edited:

silversmok

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I build the rebuildable part up with 28 gauge and 7 wraps which came to 1.2 ohm and I still get dry hits with the damn thing over 20 watts, not nearly as often but it happens after about 5 continuous hits where as my lemo or any other rebuildable would be fine.

Seems like I am having bad luck with it. I'll try the 1.2 coil next.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Feels good to know I'm not the only one but still, with this much airflow and an excellent build deck this thing ought to keep up at 30w with no dry hits. I'm beginning to think kanger screwed up the fluid dynamics engineering on this device resulting in insufficient juice level height at the wicking deck. Just say'n

underwhelmd

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2014
Canada
I'm beginning to think kanger screwed up the fluid dynamics engineering on this device resulting in insufficient juice level height at the wicking deck. Just say'n

LOL... I believe you. The trusted reviewers and many others not having this problem wouldn't. :p

Try some other juice with a different ratio perhaps?

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
My coil is .5 and you're running 2.1
At 27.5w I'm running 3.7v, at 20w you're running 6.5v
I'm still new to regulated vaping, but couldn't your problem be related to this?

Power (wattage) is a thermal measurement. It represents the heat you are producing and is the product of the relationship between voltage potential, circuit resistance and current flow. 20w is 20w regardless of how you get there. That said there are ways to get you there faster. Smaller gauge wire for instance heats up and cools down faster increasing battery and wick life. I typically run the smallest gauge wire possible to obtain target wattage(temp) and build deck form factor.

With mech mods I'm forced to run heavier gauges to reach target temp but with regulated I shoot for the fastest heat up and cool down times eg high res high voltage.

I use twisted to create flavor machines.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread