Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
IMO, the meme that you need to cut down your nic based on what atomizing device you are using is a fallacy. Use what you normally do post your results. I started out using the OCCs to gauge their performance and moved on to the rba shortly afterwards.
Not a fallacy from perspective.

When my subtank arrived, I had 24 nic juices that I had been using in an Anyvape Davide fitted with Aspire BDC heads. Very low airflow. A 3.5 ml tank easily lasted me a full day.

Naturally, when I got my Subtank, I cleaned it, filled it, tucked in a fresh primed 1.2 occ head and proceeded to nearly knock my .... out.

I immediately dropped my nic level down to 6.

With the larger juice holes and increased airflow, I easily run through twice that much on my Kanger Subtank Mini and Aspire Atlantis.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Not a fallacy from perspective.

When my subtank arrived, I had 24 nic juices that I had been using in an Anyvape Davide fitted with Aspire BDC heads. Very low airflow. A 3.5 ml tank easily lasted me a full day.

Naturally, when I got my Subtank, I cleaned it, filled it, tucked in a fresh primed 1.2 occ head and proceeded to nearly knock my .... out.

I immediately dropped my nic level down to 6.

With the larger juice holes and increased airflow, I easily run through twice that much on my Kanger Subtank Mini and Aspire Atlantis.

To each his own I suppose. I guess that, for me, it might come down to vape quality. As equipment advances it, more often than not, provides a better quality vape. A better quality vape means I don't need to have my device to my lips nearly as much as in the past to achieve the same satisfaction. It sounds good in theory. In practice, however, my juice consumption has remained about the same since I started vaping. 120ml +/- per month. :unsure:

turp

Apr 4, 2015
Louisiana
IMO, the meme that you need to cut down your nic based on what atomizing device you are using is a fallacy. Use what you normally do post your results. I started out using the OCCs to gauge their performance and moved on to the RBA shortly afterwards.
My personal experience in regular ohm was 18-24mg. Coming from 1+ cans a day it satisfied my craving. Going sub-ohm my initial experience was based off of advice from my local b&m which was 6mg. However I chose to start off at 9mg. I felt a little kooky in the grape, now I am down to 6mg. Visiting with my dad last night I tried some of his 12mg. Yeah, no thanks. I came home and dumped what he gave me and refilled with my 6mg. It was too much for sub-ohm. YMMV [emoji189]

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
My personal experience in regular ohm was 18-24mg. Coming from 1+ cans a day it satisfied my craving. Going sub-ohm my initial experience was based off of advice from my local b&m which was 6mg. However I chose to start off at 9mg. I felt a little kooky in the grape, now I am down to 6mg. Visiting with my dad last night I tried some of his 12mg. Yeah, no thanks. I came home and dumped what he gave me and refilled with my 6mg. It was too much for sub-ohm. YMMV [emoji189]

That's different as you are used to 6mg and jumping to 12mg. You are, without taking the atomizer into account, doubling your nic level. I'd expect an adverse reaction the first few times from that. But yes, YMMV. That's why I said try it and see.

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA
IMO, the meme that you need to cut down your nic based on what atomizing device you are using is a fallacy. Use what you normally do post your results. I started out using the OCCs to gauge their performance and moved on to the RBA shortly afterwards.

Agreed, though it may be different if you're used to 24mg. I used a 10-11mg range before the Subtank Mini (my first experience sub-ohming), and that's what I'm still putting in my Mini.

About that Clapton build -- how do you actually wrap it and get it to keep shape without unraveling the damn thing? I tried one just out of curiosity and while making the wire take that shape wasn't hard, wrapping the finished product into a coil was.

g3n3r1c

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2012
outside the box
It's all personal preference... sub ohming doesn't really explain everything here either..
I dropped from 25-35mg nic on my genesis atomizers running straight off the battery between 0.5 and 1 ohm to right around 8mg nic on my subtank and a 50w box mod, everything from 0.4ohm to 1.5ohm, even at 1.5 ohm 8mg is right on this atty.. of course I'm running higher voltage through that 1.5 ohm coil then I ever did on my gennies and mech mods...

Last edited:

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Agreed, though it may be different if you're used to 24mg. I used a 10-11mg range before the Subtank Mini (my first experience sub-ohming), and that's what I'm still putting in my Mini.

About that Clapton build -- how do you actually wrap it and get it to keep shape without unraveling the damn thing? I tried one just out of curiosity and while making the wire take that shape wasn't hard, wrapping the finished product into a coil was.

A little trick to take out some of the springiness is to torch it till it glows along its length (easiest to do while still in the drill, with the other end supported in a pair of pliers or the heat will cause the wire to bend.

Ideally, you should adjust your nic level so that is stays constant daily, despite the volume of juice consumed. For example if I vape 3ml/day of 10mg/ml on a clearo, I'm getting 30mg/day of nic. If I swap to a dripper that consumes 10ml/day, I should drop to 3mg/ml nic, to get that same daily intake of 30mg. This is easiest to do when using multiple devices with known consumption rates.

For a starting off point on a new, unknown device, you can go by wattage and get close. If I vape that 10mg/ml juice in a clearo at 10 watts, and I jump up to a 30 watt dripper, I'll drop to 3mg/ml and go from there. Obviously, this isnt exact, and works best when making small transitions, for example going from 20 watts to 25 might not warrant an increase, but going up to 30 might be worth knocking off 2mg/ml.

Either way, the logic follows more output = reduced nic levels needed.

rowsley

Ultra Member
Jan 26, 2015
Celina, Ohio
Well I cant get both to show at the same time but the holes are different also to being dual air flow. Biggest to smallest x 2
47e599692626ad62f4afc242dde619c7.jpg
7ddd42008e1531bb9e8b1984a4069a73.jpg
90a32bb134850f8c7da434a0c5f805ec.jpg

handling 50w on the rba on my istick 50. Its way better like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread