Keep burning cotton on my digiflavor fuji dual coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesthete

May 2, 2017
I run it on an IPV5 at 40-50 watts with 26g coils at .61 resistance, I think 2.5mm in diameter. This was my favorite set up for weeks and now I burn the cotton and ruin my hits in just a day or two and I'm not seeing the variable, what changed? I really know nothing about building so I'm just winging this thing.
I also run a single coil digiflavor fuji and it's 24 gauge 3.5mm diameter at .56 ohms, 37watts,on eleaf 100w mod and I never burn my cottons, although I feel the flavor is lacking and the harshness of the hit is nowhere near where I would like it, like the ruggedness of the dual coil when it was still working and not burning out like a ..... on me all the time.

So advice on both mods would be great. I am vape illiterate just experimenting with my tools in my basement and need some experienced input. Thank you so much!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Has your coil shape changed any while rewicking? Are you dryburning between wicks? You may actually need to check under your coil to see if there is any "gunk" caught there that you need to remove, also, you may want to make sure that nothing's leaked down into your 510 pin, maybe causing your mod to fire differently? Those are only a few possibilities. I'd second the suggestion to take a look at some coilbuilding tutorials, though I wonder if you just had some great luck on your first wicking attempts, and are having trouble replicating them exactly?

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I run it on an IPV5 at 40-50 watts with 26g coils at .61 resistance, I think 2.5mm in diameter. This was my favorite set up for weeks and now I burn the cotton and ruin my hits in just a day or two and I'm not seeing the variable, what changed? I really know nothing about building so I'm just winging this thing.
I also run a single coil digiflavor fuji and it's 24 gauge 3.5mm diameter at .56 ohms, 37watts,on eleaf 100w mod and I never burn my cottons, although I feel the flavor is lacking and the harshness of the hit is nowhere near where I would like it, like the ruggedness of the dual coil when it was still working and not burning out like a ..... on me all the time.

So advice on both mods would be great. I am vape illiterate just experimenting with my tools in my basement and need some experienced input. Thank you so much!

Ok.. the digiflavor Fuji...

There could be quite a few things causing the cotton to burn. I'll go through some with you.
First, It might be the juice. There are several factors that could be at play.. if you have a higher VG based liquid, it won't wick as quickly. Did you change the PG/VG ratio lately? Second, It might be the actual juice itself. Sometimes some juices don't atomize correctly. This could cause some darkening that might look like burned cotton. Third, It could be the wicking. I used a genesis style a long time ago, but I used silica back then. With cotton, the way you wick it is super important. Don't twist the cotton... you want it to be as straight as possible. Try fluffing it after it reaches down in the tube. The amount of cotton depends on the type of juice you have... if you have a thinner juice, you want more cotton, thicker juice you want a bit less. But it takes time to play with it.. Fourth, make sure your coils are as low as possible to the airflow without touching anything.

Now, I find it interesting that you run the lower ohm at lower wattage, and the higher ohm at a higher wattage. That in itself might explain it. When you're dry firing, take notice at how long it takes to heat up. Try to match the dual coil to your single coil time. Since your dual coil runs thinner wire, it might be heating up faster.. which may make for a better vape, but demands more from the wicks to keep up.

I mainly use RTA's. My favorite is the goblin, and I just got through rebuilding it. AT .52 ohms, using dual 28 gauge wires. I run it at 31.5 watts. with your.61 ohm @ 40 watts, that's putting about 4.9 volts through 26 gauge wires.. which is a bit on the high side for me. Running it at 50 watts supplies 5.5 volts.. which is high.. both of those would demand a good juice supply from the wicks. So, I'd either fix the wicking issue, or lower the wattage.

Your single coil running running .56 ohms @ 37 watts is giving the coil about 4.5 volts.. through thicker wire.. so it will heat a lot slower. Add the fact that it's a larger diameter coil means it has the capability of supplying more juice to the colder coil. To get similar heat, try upping the wattage to the single coil setup..but you might run into dry coils like your dual coil setup.

Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hhhmmm... 40-50 watts is probably a bit higher than I would go on a .6Ω coil. Try lowering the watts a bit, say 35ish. Or build a bit lower. And try some rayon wick. Not everybody likes it, but I find it resists heat better than cotton. Welcome to the board.

Aesthete

May 2, 2017
Ok.. the digiflavor Fuji...

There could be quite a few things causing the cotton to burn. I'll go through some with you.
First, It might be the juice. There are several factors that could be at play.. if you have a higher VG based liquid, it won't wick as quickly. Did you change the PG/VG ratio lately? Second, It might be the actual juice itself. Sometimes some juices don't atomize correctly. This could cause some darkening that might look like burned cotton. Third, It could be the wicking. I used a genesis style a long time ago, but I used silica back then. With cotton, the way you wick it is super important. Don't twist the cotton... you want it to be as straight as possible. Try fluffing it after it reaches down in the tube. The amount of cotton depends on the type of juice you have... if you have a thinner juice, you want more cotton, thicker juice you want a bit less. But it takes time to play with it.. Fourth, make sure your coils are as low as possible to the airflow without touching anything.

Now, I find it interesting that you run the lower ohm at lower wattage, and the higher ohm at a higher wattage. That in itself might explain it. When you're dry firing, take notice at how long it takes to heat up. Try to match the dual coil to your single coil time. Since your dual coil runs thinner wire, it might be heating up faster.. which may make for a better vape, but demands more from the wicks to keep up.

I mainly use RTA's. My favorite is the goblin, and I just got through rebuilding it. AT .52 ohms, using dual 28 gauge wires. I run it at 31.5 watts. with your.61 ohm @ 40 watts, that's putting about 4.9 volts through 26 gauge wires.. which is a bit on the high side for me. Running it at 50 watts supplies 5.5 volts.. which is high.. both of those would demand a good juice supply from the wicks. So, I'd either fix the wicking issue, or lower the wattage.

Your single coil running running .56 ohms @ 37 watts is giving the coil about 4.5 volts.. through thicker wire.. so it will heat a lot slower. Add the fact that it's a larger diameter coil means it has the capability of supplying more juice to the colder coil. To get similar heat, try upping the wattage to the single coil setup..but you might run into dry coils like your dual coil setup.

Aesthete

May 2, 2017
Nothing really changed in my dual coil other than perhaps my wicking job was flawed. So higher VG less wicking, lower PG more wicking? And with the single coil I get no flavor and no satisfaction. It was worse when I had a 2.5 diameter and probably same ohms but I just can't get a good hit. I have five dual coil tanks that I'm running right now with absolutely zero problems (I've turned into a collector, however unsophisticated) but this solitary single coil I cannot get that harshness that I love, or even any flavor; not burnt, not flavor, just bland and no rugged throat hits that I crave. As far as the dual coil I think I'm running too high VG and too much wicking stuffed into those tiny coils.
I have some set ups where i can take hit after hit, like my ipv 6x with wotofo sapor and my xcube mini with ijoy tornado nano, just hit after hit and it's always fresh and delicious, but with this digiflavor, which was my favorite tank before i started having problems this week, I think I've over-exerted her, too many repeated puffs and too much heat, not enough cool down, with an improper wicking job. I appreciate all of your comments and I hope one day I can be the guy that knows how to say "well that comes out to 5.5 volts" haha your math and comprehension is impressive I'm just frankly too depressed to do my research.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Aestheste, I hope you *and* your digiflavor feel better soon. (Hugs) Depression sucks. Add in one's favorite tank acting up? Maybe just ignore it for a few days, I have found that the *best* way to fix some of my problems is to ignore them. I'm not talking about a summons to court or anything, but you know, minor stuff. My theory is tha when I ignore a problem, it gets upset and solves itself in readiness for my full attention. :) Okay, but it does work out that way.... sometimes... :)

Anna

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Nothing really changed in my dual coil other than perhaps my wicking job was flawed. So higher VG less wicking, lower PG more wicking? And with the single coil I get no flavor and no satisfaction. It was worse when I had a 2.5 diameter and probably same ohms but I just can't get a good hit. I have five dual coil tanks that I'm running right now with absolutely zero problems (I've turned into a collector, however unsophisticated) but this solitary single coil I cannot get that harshness that I love, or even any flavor; not burnt, not flavor, just bland and no rugged throat hits that I crave. As far as the dual coil I think I'm running too high VG and too much wicking stuffed into those tiny coils.
I have some set ups where i can take hit after hit, like my ipv 6x with wotofo sapor and my xcube mini with ijoy tornado nano, just hit after hit and it's always fresh and delicious, but with this digiflavor, which was my favorite tank before i started having problems this week, I think I've over-exerted her, too many repeated puffs and too much heat, not enough cool down, with an improper wicking job. I appreciate all of your comments and I hope one day I can be the guy that knows how to say "well that comes out to 5.5 volts" haha your math and comprehension is impressive I'm just frankly too depressed to do my research.

It's not that hard. It's Ohms law, and luckily, there is a calculator. Put in two values, and the rest will be calculated. That's how the chip in the Ecigs work.. it takes the resistance of the coils, and the wattage you set, and it supplies that much voltage. Or in voltage mode, it supplies that much voltage through that resistance coil, and it puts out that much watts.

Just keep in mind whatever power you put out, take into account the amount of metal it's going through.. which in the Ecig's case, is the coil.

Now, in your case.. it's funny you're mentioning single and dual coil setups. I happen to be using one single and one dual coil setup that produce similar results. In the dual coil, I have dual 28 gauge Kanthal running .54 ohms running at 34 watts... compared to a single coil fused clapton running .52 ohms running at 35 watts.. the cloud output is about the same, the flavor profiles are fairly the same, but for some reason, the dual coil is a tad bit sweeter. They both output about the same amount of heat, and neither get dry hits. The dual coil setup is through a Goblin Mini, and the single coil is through the Smok Spirals. (links provided where and what I bought for reference) I guess using a fused clapton with a .52 ohm setup gives a similar results as a regular dual coil design with similar .54 ohm setup. It's all in how the wick is supplied with juice I guess.

Aesthete

May 2, 2017
It's not that hard. It's Ohms law, and luckily, there is a calculator. Put in two values, and the rest will be calculated. That's how the chip in the Ecigs work.. it takes the resistance of the coils, and the wattage you set, and it supplies that much voltage. Or in voltage mode, it supplies that much voltage through that resistance coil, and it puts out that much watts.

Just keep in mind whatever power you put out, take into account the amount of metal it's going through.. which in the Ecig's case, is the coil.

Now, in your case.. it's funny you're mentioning single and dual coil setups. I happen to be using one single and one dual coil setup that produce similar results. In the dual coil, I have dual 28 gauge Kanthal running .54 ohms running at 34 watts... compared to a single coil fused clapton running .52 ohms running at 35 watts.. the cloud output is about the same, the flavor profiles are fairly the same, but for some reason, the dual coil is a tad bit sweeter. They both output about the same amount of heat, and neither get dry hits. The dual coil setup is through a Goblin Mini, and the single coil is through the Smok Spirals. (links provided where and what I bought for reference) I guess using a fused clapton with a .52 ohm setup gives a similar results as a regular dual coil design with similar .54 ohm setup. It's all in how the wick is supplied with juice I guess.
I love vaping but I have not cared to memorize ohms law. This divided by that multiplied like that I don't care because my device tells me. However the single coil I just put back in the box because I was getting just bad flavor, dry, awful hits, and I have six devices with tanks and two with RDA's and they are all working wonderfully, including my favorite device that I complained on here earlier. Just don't know what it is with that single coil.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread