Kiddies calling an APV "a vape"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyp

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2013
BUFFALO
:mad:

vape is etymologically a verb. The use of "vape" as a noun by English 101 repeaters has convinced definition websites to submit to this usage.

If you do this, I genuinely hope you step on a lego.

ETA: I have seen it's use as a noun in the form of "Let's go for a vape." This is reasonable. But the device itself is not a vape.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

Vape is etymologically a verb. The use of "vape" as a noun by English 101 repeaters has convinced definition websites to submit to this usage.

ETA: I have seen it's use as a noun in the form of "Let's go for a vape." This is reasonable. But the device itself is not a vape.

Kiddies shorten words. ( yes, I hate it too, and stay off my lawn!)

Slanglish:

"Vape" is a shortened form of the word "Vaporizer", as in "personal vaporizer".
Used as a noun.
:)

sacullen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Chicago, IL, USA
Hey, you're preaching to the guy who just itches to tell off anyone who says "ohms" instead of "resistance". When they want their friend to drive faster, do they say, "Brah, you need to up your MPH"?

I've used vape as a noun more than once, but with two little kids I have lots of lego stepping-on in my future anyway.

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net

Vape is etymologically a verb. The use of "vape" as a noun by English 101 repeaters has convinced definition websites to submit to this usage.

:facepalm:

"Drink" is etymologically a verb yet people often order a drink, have a drink, take a drink, and may even drink a drink.

I think somebody sat on a Lego and it's stuck.

rofl.gif

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
I call it my "vape". "Pass my vape". I called cigarettes "smokes", as do many people. I think it's ridiculous people would even be upset about calling it that. "Pass my personal vaporizer please" sounds like your full of yourself imo.

"Pass my APV please"
"APV?"
"It stands for advanced personal vaporizer good sir"
"Umm ok here.." while rolling their eyes...

"Pass my vape please"
"Here you go"
"Thanks guy"

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Language is the most democratic thing on Earth. Governments can't control it, English teachers can't control it. However, teachers or anyone who studies language shouldn't be surprised by this anymore.
Democracy: The theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it, good and hard. :lol:

Don't bogart that vape my friend, pass it over to me. ;)

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

You wouldn't happen to be a 4th grade teacher would you?

(My wife is and these types of things drive her nuts (which, BTW, is a noun :sneaky:))

If I step on a Lego today, I'm blaming you :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread