• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Ladies, do you have pets? Or do pets have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
We are moving and I'm only going to be able to take my turtles. Thankfully, I'll still see all of our other babies several times a week. Just not the same.

:cry: ((((dande)))) Sorry you can't take them with you :( Glad you will get to see them.

Catmom....what Jewelz said. When my daughter moved in here with her cat we brought her blankets and his bed over before we brought him. We put him in the room in his crate with the door open, it took him about 30 minutes before he would even come out of it. Once he did he was fine, took him a few hours to come out of the room though...LOL

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
Jewelz and Fudgey, thanks for the advice. I already figured they'd be reassured by all the familiar scents on the furniture. We've thought about hotel rooms, but most have a limit of 2 pets per room, and since there are only 2 of us and 7 cats, I don't see how that will work. We may have to board them for a day or two, at least when we get there. We're not 100% sure we're going yet, so this is all speculation. We'd much rather stay here. It's just a matter of whether there will be a job here. No matter how stressed out they get, they'll be better off in the long run if we're living somewhere that affords us the opportunity to feed them! And I've tried feliway before, it had no affect on Angus. I think sedatives will be a requirement. <sigh>

Sundrinkr

Alis volat propriis
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Behind the Rainbow
I'm certainly not a vet, but sedatives will probably be what you need. I haven't had my grown ones on any lengthy trips and it is possible they will calm down/quiet down when they realize they aren't getting out anytime soon. I know it would drive me crazy to hear them crying nonstop for many hours. When we went on our christmas vacation we took little Piper with us. That little baby boy was so good! Only one peep when he knocked his fluffy sleeper on top of his food and couldn't get to it. Training them early may be the trick but who has time to drive around for hours with the cat in the car? lololol

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
We are moving and I'm only going to be able to take my turtles. Thankfully, I'll still see all of our other babies several times a week. Just not the same.

(((((((( :cry: ))))))))
it's not the same, but is better than nothing. I had a move like that many years ago, and only got to visit on weekends. it was difficult- even knowing they were well cared for.

Oh, Dande, that's so sad! Thank goodness you'll at least be able to see them.

We're dealing with the possibility of having to move, but several states away. I won't go without our cats. I'm stressing out at how to move with seven cats, and what that will do to them. We took four to the vet this morning, and they cried all the way there and all the way back. I don't even want to think about 8 to 10 hours in a car. Or the logistics of packing and unpacking with seven cats.

That won't be easy, but but with some of the suggestions people and sedatives as needed it'll be doable. And any hotel you stay doesn't *have* to know that there are more than two cats in the room ;)

What is a feliway wipe Jewelz?

And ((((hugs)))

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
thanks Jewelz- from the looks of your photos it really works. wonder if they have a version for dogs.

They do actually. It's called DAP- dog appeasing pheromone. Comes in different configurations like diffusers, sprays, scented collars. I've never actually used that, as Loki is a pretty adaptable little guy. They also have calm down for dogs. My boss uses it regularly with her dogs and loves it.

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
I was thinking about the carrier thing. Wonder if you'd be better off with dog carriers that can hold 2-3 kitties inside. I would think being together with their buds would be more reassuring than the kitties by themselves in separate carriers? I guess it depends on your cats, but I think mine would rather be together.

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
I was thinking about the carrier thing. Wonder if you'd be better off with dog carriers that can hold 2-3 kitties inside. I would think being together with their buds would be more reassuring than the kitties by themselves in separate carriers? I guess it depends on your cats, but I think mine would rather be together.

We'd probably get bigger carriers if we move. The ones we have now aren't even big enough for a litter box inside. Our triplets would definitely like being together. The only problem is the boys are BIG. Basil's about 16 lbs, and I think Angus is up to 18 lbs now.

If we decide to go, we'll definitely have a lot to work out. We may look into companies that move your pets for you. They use vans, and they'd be able to put the triplets together, and the twins together, and Ivy and Tasha together. I get upset thinking about all this. I hope we can stay here!

Catmom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2011
Blue Ridge Heaven
When we moved here from California, it was with 2 parrots and 2 cats...I drove the truck I had with the animals with me and DH drove the rental truck with our stuff...was a most interesting experience !

I pretty much figure if we move, and if we drive the cats ourselves, they'll all be with me. DH stresses more easily than I do, and he has a history of a heart attack, so I'd much rather deal with the stress ;)

I haven't called any of the pet transportation companies to get prices yet. I know I would feel terrible guilty turning them over to strangers. I'd wonder if they were afraid we were giving them away and they'd never see us again. Or just worried that they'd be more afraid in a van with strangers than in the SUV with me. But in the van (with strangers) they'd be in larger kennels that would have litter boxes and food and water. That would be awfully hard to do in the back of our SUV. Sometimes I wish I weren't so empathetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread