• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

To the Animal lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
LOL Both of those should scare you. As cute as they are in the pix.. they'd just as soon eat you as look at you (literally) .. They're guard dogs.. think junk yard dog and you're not too far off. But with me & the family, they're the biggest cuddle bugs on the planet... I been missing them like crazy every since I moved out. :( Couldn't take em with me since they're not technically MY dogs (try explaining that to them though)

ferretlovr

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Paradise, CA
Good to see all you animal lovers!

I have a Papillon/Yorkie mix we got from a guy my S/O knew who couldn't keep her. Sadie is very vocal and will tell you what she wants one way or another. Loves to lay under the piano while I practice. She's my best audience, never cares if I make any mistakes!

We also have a min Schnauzer we got at the shelter. He was 5 (2 yrs ago) and had not been fixed. He had 4 protruding canine teeth. They were so bad he could hardly close his mouth. Needless to say we spent a small fortune at the vet's getting him all taken care of. We named him Bucky and all he ever wants is loving. Such a sweet little guy, I don't know how anyone could have given him up.

We have a calico kitty, Priss, who decided to move outdoors when the dogs came along. I've tried to get her to come in but as long as the dogs are around she wont.

Used to have ferrets up until a year ago. It just got too physically hard for me to keep the cages clean. I sure love the little buggers, though. I have been active trying to get them legal here in CA. Such a stupid law! Anyway, I really miss having them around. You can't have a bad day when you have a couple of ferrets wrestling around and getting into everything. It's free entertainment. :)

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I would so love a ferret. But hubby refuses to let me have one. REFUSES. LOL he has let me get away with the 3 dogs. The cats are all him. We will be adding a white male cat to our collection when my grandmother passes. She is 94 and still trucking along.

One of these days I will have a ferret. But not while i have 7 cats.. LOL

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
My first post in the Women's forum and it's a great thread, but a sad post. My lil guy Hector passed away this morning. The vet is pretty sure it was FIP and most cats live 3-18 months with that. He just turned 18 months.

This is my little Klepto Hector RIP

DSCF0632.jpg

We still have Achilles who was adopted with Hector. They were both 6 weeks old when we got them.

DSCF0620.jpg

And my Aussie, Tanis

DSCF0629.jpg

Darnit.. I was just starting to feel a little better by looking through these pictures and then the pet mortuary called about having him cremated and I'm crying.

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I am soo sorry about your loss. That is rough to go through.

We had to have a black kitten put to sleep. Sister to spazz and boxer. She had a problem with a flap by her heart being to big and not allowing solid food to pass. Instead she would choke, stop breathing and throw up. It took us a while to figure out that something was wrong. She lost tons of weight and ate anything in site.
I finally told hubby something is really wrong with her. She can't eat. She can only nurse off of mom.
Well this flap closed when she ate. Which caused the food to pile up on her heart and lungs shutting them down.
Yes we could of done surgery. But it would of been a 10k adventure along with a 1-5% chance it would work or kill her.
We opted not to make her suffer. She was 6 weeks old. She was our little ninja.

I have lost many pets in my life time. To many to count. Each and everyone when I think about them brings back joy and tears. Pets become part of our family. No matter how short their visit might be. They all touch us in the deepest places. And they take a piece of our hearts with them. A place in our hearts no one else can touch. I miss all my babies that have left me. What makes it easier is knowing I was the special person they picked to love as well. And they had the best life I could give them.

Love the ones you have. And never forget the ones you had. A special home with a special person. All animal lovers are special people. All animals are special.

SudokuGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
USA-Florida
My first post in the Women's forum and it's a great thread, but a sad post. My lil guy Hector passed away this morning. The vet is pretty sure it was FIP and most cats live 3-18 months with that. He just turned 18 months.

DSCF0632.jpg

Darnit.. I was just starting to feel a little better by looking through these pictures and then the pet mortuary called about having him cremated and I'm crying.

Awww, sorry for you loss. It always hurts so much.

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok

We still have Achilles who was adopted with Hector. They were both 6 weeks old when we got them.

And my Aussie, Tanis

I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*

Something that I hope might make you laugh..

Your orange cat.. looks just like my cat Ashe (will try and put a pic up) When ashe was a kitten and we first got him (barely weaned.. maybe 5 or 6 weeks old) we introduced him to coco the day we got him (the big rotty I posted pics of before) so coco would know he was part of the family and not try and eat him.. and instead of hissing and running like most kittens do when coco started sniffing him all excited (coco was maybe 2years old 100ish lbs and full of energy) Ashe jumped in the air, did a 180 and landed on coco's head. He the proceded to sink claws into both ears (holding em line reins of a horse) hook his back feet into coco's shoulders and proceeded to bite him right between the eyes while riding him like a bull at the rodeo. wish I had it on video, was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen a cat and dog do.

After coco finally got ashe off of him, Ashe sat on the arm of the chair and stared coco down. No raised fur or any other form of agression, just this cold attitude like he was trying to say "wanna go again?"

Every since then coco and Ashe have been best friends, coco never tried to hurt ashe, and Ashe never tore into coco again, but if ashe was out prowling (he was allowed to come in and out as he pleased) and he got the bad end of a fight he'd just hop the fense into the back yard for coco's protection, and coco would always chase off any cats following Ashe and lay there licking Ashe's wounds (and usually the rest of his body) until he was clean, blood free, and all spiky from doggy spit in his hair :p

I truly feel bad for your loss, I know how devistating such things can be and hope that my little storry here at least made you smile a little.

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I used to have a white male puddle. He was so white I thought of snow every time I seen him.
We named him Montary Jack. Monty for short. Oh he was a doll. He was about 6 weeks old when we got him. Loved to cuddle and be cuddled.
He was so fond of me I could not leave his sight. He would.... Take showers with me. Eat his food at my feet. Sleep on my head. And every where I went he went. His place was the dashboard. Right in front of me. I wasn't driving yet. So it wasn't a problem.
This dog got a bath everyday. He loved it. Would sit at the end of the shower waiting for his turn. As soon as he seen my hair was washed he would jump down under the shower and wait for me to wash him. Even loved the blow dyer!

My little monty passed away at 8months old do to parvo. We had someone come over and didn't know they had had parvo. Spread it to 8 of the 15 dogs we had at the time. Lost 4 if I remember correctly.

I keep a teddy bear that looks just like him on the top of my desk. My mom found it one day while she was out. Thought about my Monty and gave it to me. It looks just like him. From the curly white hair to the button nose.
Oh how I miss him. He was such a joy to have around.

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
Ryle - thank you for your story; that IS cute!

The orange kitty, Achilles has the same sort of bond with our dog Tanis. When I brought he and Hector home for the first time and let them out of the carrier, Achilles disappeared instantly. I turned around and I saw Tanis with his face between his paws doing something and when I looked closer, he had grabbed Achilles and started bathing him. Achilles claws came up and were wrapped around Tanis' muzzle and he didn't care at all. Now he doesn't have much to do with him but if someone tries to tap on our windows while a kitty is in it, Tanis suddenly jumps up and lets them know that is HIS kitty. He and Hector were very protective of each other too.

Since I posted of his death, I should share my favorite memories of Hector and why I called him my little Klepto. He stole everything, and I do mean everything. Dogs toys, other kitties toys, hair brushes, you name it. He had a little tent that was his haven. I usually found his stash stuffed in there. One day I heard a strange commotion and looked to see him dragging a Costco package of toilet paper out of the closet and down the hall. This cat weighed at the most 3 lbs and he was pulling 100 rolls of toilet paper down the hall. When he got it to his tent and realized it wouldn't fit I swear I heard him say "Well, f@#k!" My daughter and I tried those Smooth Away hair remover pads and after breaking out in horrible blistering rashes, had no use for them ever again. We never noticed the box of them had disappeared until looking in Hector's tent one day and there was the box of them. Serious klepto :)

mixxy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2008
Oregon
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( Hector sounds like he was such a wonderful little character. Your story made me think of our last cat Charlie.. who we lost about 10 years ago to cancer. When my kids were little Charlie loved to get some of their toys and take them to 'hide' in his secret hiding places. He was especially fond of the little cherries in their "Hi-Ho Cherry-O" game... and he would steal the cherries to the game every chance he got! :rolleyes: Then when he thought nobody was paying attention... he would bring one out of his hiding place, take it into the bathroom, and then bat it all around the room with his paw for hours! The kids finally threw away the game when they didn't have enough cherries to bother with it anymore... we never had the heart to take them back from Charlie.. he just loved them so much! :)

mischiefgrrl

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Los Angeles
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( Hector sounds like he was such a wonderful little character. Your story made me think of our last cat Charlie.. who we lost about 10 years ago to cancer. When my kids were little Charlie loved to get some of their toys and take them to 'hide' in his secret hiding places. He was especially fond of the little cherries in their "Hi-Ho Cherry-O" game... and he would steal the cherries to the game every chance he got! :rolleyes: Then when he thought nobody was paying attention... he would bring one out of his hiding place, take it into the bathroom, and then bat it all around the room with his paw for hours! The kids finally threw away the game when they didn't have enough cherries to bother with it anymore... we never had the heart to take them back from Charlie.. he just loved them so much! :)

LOL that's cute. Our old kitty Champagne used to steal board game pieces too. I remember playing "Clue" one time and it turning into the mystery of the missing revolver... He was sitting there watching us very amused with the revolver carefully clutched in his paws.

Allestaria

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
My little Spazz will steal any and all pens,pencils, crayons. Anything that looks like one. She love beanie style teddy bears and will carry them around like they are her babies. She looks for a good 10mins for that perfect safe spot for her babies.
Popcorn steals my hair ties and cover my shoes so I can't see them.
Someone is stealing my socks I just haven't figured out who yet.

All of the cats like to clear hubby's desk of anything that can move. If he has paper, notebooks etc on it. They will knock it off.

ferretlovr

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Paradise, CA
I am so sorry for your loss, Mischief. No matter how much time we have with these little friends it always hurts to lose them. Will you get another kitty evenutally?

Today I was loving up my little schnauzer and discovered a lump about the size of a nickel on his neck. I cuddle him all the time and have never noticed it before. I'm hoping to get him into the vet tomorrow. I'm really scared because my last schnauzer, Heidi, was the love of my life. I had her for 10 years and she developed some soft tumors. I took her to the vet to have them removed, normally a simple procedure. She never recovered. When she came home she was blind, could not determine the direction of my voice and was totally disoriented. I took her to another vet who implied she probably had been given too much anesthetic. We tried to help her but nothing worked. That wonderful vet came to my house and put her down while I held her in my lap and said goodbye. I'll never get over her loss.

I just hope my little Bucky will be OK.

I am sorry about little Hector. He sounds like he had a great personality and will be missed. My thoughts are with you.
Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread