Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I killed this thread, eh? Bwahahahaha :evil:

I got something for that analogy :laugh:, but like I said, it was just "too good of [an] analogy to mess with." Sometimes it's not about being able to have a clever retort--sometimes brilliance need not be challenged. And lastly, anybody that comes up with an analogy like that, may just have a lot more where that came from--not sure if I can hang for the long haul. :yawn:

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Originally Posted by darkhood:
even the guy who makes the beloved pluid...all he's doing is combined licorice, absinthe, etc from other companie
s.

Even if that were true----- everything people do or make is interpretive, and based on their own unique perceptions and senses. That's why the meatloaf analogy is so workable.

Painting with Sennelier's oil paints doesn't make you Picasso or Gauguin, and conversely, some of the greatest photography in history was made with a primitive pin-hole camera without even the benefit of a simple lens.

Put me in a room with access to the "same stuff" as everyone else, and my DIY is going to be sub-par. It's not something I'm "good at" but many have a natural knack for mixing and creating.

It's really interesting looking at DIY recipes here on ECF, people will put a few drops of lemon into something I never in a million years thought would "go with" the rest of the flavorings, but it's brilliant and works. :)

There is also the element of randomness. Some mixers will tell you that one of their most popular juices started out almost accidental. I love that!

That would never happen to me, as I was a child who always colored "inside the lines" LOL Awful, isn't it? But it has it's place, too.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Originally Posted by darkhood:
even the guy who makes the beloved pluid...all he's doing is combined licorice, absinthe, etc from other companie
s.

Even if that were true----- everything people do or make is interpretive, and based on their own unique perceptions and senses. That's why the meatloaf analogy is so workable.

Painting with Sennelier's oil paints doesn't make you Picasso or Gauguin, and conversely, some of the greatest photography in history was made with a primitive pin-hole camera without even the benefit of a simple lens.

Put me in a room with access to the "same stuff" as everyone else, and my DIY is going to be sub-par. It's not something I'm "good at" but many have a natural knack for mixing and creating.

It's really interesting looking at DIY recipes here on ECF, people will put a few drops of lemon into something I never in a million years thought would "go with" the rest of the flavorings, but it's brilliant and works. :)

There is also the element of randomness. Some mixers will tell you that one of their most popular juices started out almost accidental. I love that!

That would never happen to me, as I was a child who always colored "inside the lines" LOL Awful, isn't it? But it has it's place, too.

What you know 'bout Sennelier? hahahaha! They make great paints & pastels (though Unison pastels are better). LOL

While I do get what is being said here, the OP is talking about a phenomenon where vendors (in the crudest sense of the word) are not just selling liquids with common flavorings, using popular recipes, or having others make their juice, but this particular phenomenon of literally reselling juices that exist already, and labeling them as original concoctions is unfortunately happening more than most people know. But then again, that is just business. I don't know how cool or not cool it is to out vendors doing this--this thread wanted names of vendors doing it--but this act of relabeling preexisting juices is happening and no one should be surprised by this.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
OP is talking about a phenomenon where vendors (in the crudest sense of the word) are not just selling liquids with common flavorings, using popular recipes, or having others make their juice, but this particular phenomenon of literally reselling juices that exist already, and labeling them as original concoctions is unfortunately happening more than most people know.

<snip>

this act of relabeling preexisting juices is happening and no one should be surprised by this.

Aha. Well I do know that even vendors that sell "genuine" Joyetech Ego batts, for example, have put their own logo on the batts, which i wonder if they have a special relationship with Joyetech to do that, cuz Joyetech is rather possessive about their brand.

I was not aware of re-labelling of juice though. I do see that COV sells Boba's Bounty, but it's called that, even though their own label is on it. I have never thought to "compare' the bobas from AVE and the bobas from COV.

I realize this isn't the same thing, but starting to bleed over in a way.

Re-labelling somebody else's juice, and calling it something else to boot, just seems like a cheap way to sell good juice w/out securing certain business "permissions" from the original mixers/creators. It may be "just business" but certainly doesn't meet ethical business standards. :laugh:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Aha. Well I do know that even vendors that sell "genuine" Joyetech Ego batts, for example, have put their own logo on the batts, which i wonder if they have a special relationship with Joyetech to do that, cuz Joyetech is rather possessive about their brand.

I was not aware of re-labelling of juice though. I do see that COV sells Boba's Bounty, but it's called that, even though their own label is on it. I have never thought to "compare' the bobas from AVE and the bobas from COV.

Re-labelling somebody else's juice, and calling it something else to boot, just seems like a cheap way to sell good juice w/out securing certain business "permissions" from the original mixers/creators. It may be "just business" but certainly doesn't meet ethical business standards. :laugh:

RH, trust me, I edited out all of my real opinions on the matter. But some vendors do wholesale their juice for those purposes. I don't think it's so much of an issue for ecig vendors that sell all types of equipment, but for a straight-up liquid vendor, that is quite silly.

Red_Bird

Moved On
Apr 11, 2013
Montgomery County, NY
Many vendors have someone else mixing for them, to try to create a list of them serves no purpose. If they wanted the customer to know this it would be on their individual websites.

Most, if not all, will deny others make their eliquids. And it doesn't matter. Good eliquid is good eliquid, and lousy eliquid remains junk.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place

No one can get away with relabelling Boba's.

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
I don't consider it any kind of 'bad' if things get relabeled and rebranded. But as a consumer I would like to know.

I had it with some diy flavors. I recently saw some at a vendor I was already ordering something else from. But in the end I refrained since I did not know where the flavors came from. And I'd like to know what I'm buying.

Imagine you are looking for a good strawberry juice or flavor. So you order from ten different vendors. With this rebranding/relabeling without been given information about the orginal maker. You can end up with five strawberries which are exactly the same. Which can be good if you like it since now you can choose your favorite vendor to order from. But if you don't like it you end up with five bottles of it.
And you'll continue to accidentally buy this stuff if vendors don't properly show where their product came from.

Great point!

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
RH, trust me, I edited out all of my real opinions on the matter. But some vendors do wholesale their juice for those purposes. I don't think it's so much of an issue for ecig vendors that sell all types of equipment, but for a straight-up liquid vendor, that is quite silly.

Agreed! I don't see the sense in this myself...

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Agreed! I don't see the sense in this myself...

I know of one vendor that has a line of teas that everyone loves (well, not everyone because I didn't--I thought they were really weak). As the vendor said, they are made by a 3rd party master extractor (or something to that effect). Now, that is not so much of an issue to outsource a specific line if you don't have the capabilities, but who doesn't have the capabilities to make their own juice at all? Once again, if you are just a big store that sells all type of things and your customers want a one-stop-shop, then that is understandable; as a liquid vendor that doesn't even make their own liquids? (Insert feelings here)

Bellerine

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Florida
I DO think there is a difference. If they want to create a one-stop-shop and resell another vendor's liquid, that should be clear. You should know you're getting juice made by company X. For that matter, where that juice is made is also important. I want to know if it was manufactured in China or the USA.

That said, a proprietary recipe is just that, proprietary. They have no reason or purpose for making their recipe public. I mean, McDonald's still won't disclose their Big Mac's "secret sauce" nor KFC their "Blend of 7 secret spices" and they have that right. They do have to list to overall ingredients composed in the sandwich and chicken. For good reason. Anything we ingest should be no different.

I don't hope the current pending legislation limits vendors in a way that over-regulates and requires licensing and bureaucratic red tape that puts small business out of business. However, a general labeling of ingredients and from what country they are sourced is SOP for anything else we ingest and should be no different for ejuice.

Something as simple as "Made in the USA" Ingredients: PG, VG, distilled water, artificial flavorings would be sufficient.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
Well, made in the USA can mean just about anything now. You can buy all the parts in China and if you assemble it in part in the USA, you can stamp it made in the USA. I know the markup in the juice market is many times higher than for hardware and that the cost of ingredients is so low compared to the juices' retail prices that it does seem like a ripoff. It is similar to pharmaceutical companies where the price may be 100 times the cost but then again no one else has the recipe.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Well, made in the USA can mean just about anything now. You can buy all the parts in China and if you assemble it in part in the USA, you can stamp it made in the USA. I know the markup in the juice market is many times higher than for hardware and that the cost of ingredients is so low compared to the juices' retail prices that it does seem like a ripoff. It is similar to pharmaceutical companies where the price may be 100 times the cost but then again no one else has the recipe.

I think "Made in America" needs to be changed to what has been more popular as of late, "American Sourced," or "100% American Sourced." (There still may be ways to weasel a way around that :facepalm:.) Though, for the purposes of this thread, that still doesn't mean a vendor isn't relabeling.

I do think the glitch in "American Made" is a lie through technicalities at best, and at worst it is just a lie. Generally, the putting together of ingredients is not so much of an issue as much as the ingredients themselves. Of course that is not to say that American ingredients are somehow inherently good and "foreign" sourced ingredients are inherently bad.

For me, I don't always care who makes what, sometimes it just doesn't matter. But there are those times--maybe if the price indicates, or a website touts "special" qualities to a product--that I would like as much presented to be on the up and up as possible. If a vendor is just reselling juice made by another site/vendor, but presents themselves as making it themselves, well, it doesn't matter if it is American Made or sourced, I'd prefer to go the original source, or just don't relabel it. There is something slimy about putting your name on someone else's work.

Sorry for the ramblings.

Tha Funk Doctor Spock

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Grimeycuse, NY
I don't know any online vendors who engage in this practice off hand but my local shop does. They buy DeKang and fill up their own bottles with their logo on it. It sucks because you can get a 50ml of DeKang for a dollar more then what they sell a 10ml for at MadVapes. I usually only use this store when I'm in a pinch while waiting on an internet order from a reliable vendor. Now they are offering USA made liquids which I'm willing to bet is just another company subtracted to make their juice with their label on it. Thing became more clear when I asked PG/VG ratios and they had no clue then finally one day I asked straight out if this was just DeKang and one of the employees let it slip it was. Also sucks because they offer some low quality products, like atomizers that blow out in 2 days, and everything in the store is 2/3s more expensive then even the pricier online sites. Like I said its good for a pinch when waiting on an order but it just sucks, I fear with the low quality gear they are turning more people off vaping then turning them on. /end rant

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
I don't know any online vendors who engage in this practice off hand but my local shop does. They buy DeKang and fill up their own bottles with their logo on it. It sucks because you can get a 50ml of DeKang for a dollar more then what they sell a 10ml for at MadVapes. I usually only use this store when I'm in a pinch while waiting on an internet order from a reliable vendor. Now they are offering USA made liquids which I'm willing to bet is just another company subtracted to make their juice with their label on it. Thing became more clear when I asked PG/VG ratios and they had no clue then finally one day I asked straight out if this was just DeKang and one of the employees let it slip it was. Also sucks because they offer some low quality products, like atomizers that blow out in 2 days, and everything in the store is 2/3s more expensive then even the pricier online sites. Like I said its good for a pinch when waiting on an order but it just sucks, I fear with the low quality gear they are turning more people off vaping then turning them on. /end rant

First of all, let me say that when I saw "Funk Doctor Spock" I just had to read what you wrote...and your avi says it all. My man, Red! :thumb:

Anyway, there are plenty of vendors that do this and while I won't out the ones I know about, when you find out that a juice that was supposed to be special is being sold by another vendor, the original maker, for cheaper, you surely feel duped. Well, you are being duped!

I am an artist and I know that sometimes when collectors by my work, or rather, when store owners by my work, they resell it. I don't have a problem with that, but if someone was selling it with their name on it? OMG! That's a crime.

I do get that some vendors sell juice for other vendors to relabel, and that's their prerogative; it is my prerogative to call BS when I find out, especially when it is really marked up. Some may say, "how do you know it's just not a similar juice?" Well, when one juice tastes the exact same, then another one and another, and then they carry the same liquid names and it exist throughout the whole line? Uhh, I think there is no question.

Maybe they have to mark up the relabeled juice because they have to cover costs of all those stickers? :facepalm:

Last edited:

Tha Funk Doctor Spock

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Grimeycuse, NY
Reply for the love of Reggie Noble! But yea, its one thing to have a standing deal with someone to make your juice but its another to buy a well known brand name and pass it off as your own. and like your quote said " How do you know its not just a similar juice?" Well when an employee let their trade "secret" slip that its DeKang. Bums me out that a 50ml of the same stuff on Madvapes is 11 dollars and a 10ml is 10 bucks of the same juice. Cheap attys( i returned 3 in 1 week while my old Joye atty from my old 510 which is a year and a half old is still firing) and other products, don't know ratio's. Like I said I use it in a pinch while waiting on an order from one of my favorite online stores, not going to name the companies name, and don't know any internet vendors who pull the juice switch, just the local shop. I even did a test with my buddy just to mess with him, put Dekang RY4 from Madvapes into my atty and had him hit it and he's like "Yo this tastes just like XXX juice!" and thats because it is and for 1 more dollar you can get 40 more ml of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread