Status
Not open for further replies.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Funny story. When i was at the hospital yesterday doing pre-op, the lady in the lab taking my blood starting talking. Instantly I recognized her voice and thought she looked very familiar. Then it popped into my head. She used to be my regular waitress at our local German place (that sadly changed ownership and now sux) like 12 or more years ago. She was like, holy crap, how did you recognize me from so long ago. My short term memory is utterly useless now, but certain parts of my long term are still really keen. Voices for some reason stick in my head and numbers as long as a keypad is in front of me. I can still remember the sound of my dad's voice in my head, but can't visualize his face without a picture and he passed 13 years ago.

The day will come when you can visualize his face with perfect clarity. But I know what you mean. Faces and voices I can do. "I know them from somewhere" "Oh! I remember! I saw them in the canned goods section at the grocery store a couple of years ago"

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
You have an array in a laptop????
The msi comes with two m.2 bays (which are tiny little ssd drives) and one 2.5 bay. Just upgraded it to two 256g m.2 SSD in raid 0 mode and changed the platter drive 1T 2.5 for storage to a 2.5 1T SSD. So quadrupled my OS and app drive and stayed the same on storage drive but switched to the cooler and faster SSD. Now I actually have reasonable room on the laptop to install games. Utterly amazing how small all that stuff is now as the laptop is still 1/2" and csn pick it up with two fingers.

But I can't migrate my OS from the clone over to the raid drive and get it recognized in the bios boot menu, even though in the drive info section it shows it as a bootable drive. It's maddening, which is why i hate doing computer work. Plus I had to disassemble the entire laptop, remove the MB just to install those damn m.2 drives. Everything works proper on the drives other than allowing it in the boot menu. So booting from the cloned drive.

Reactions: penguiness

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
The msi comes with two m.2 bays (which are tiny little ssd drives) and one 2.5 bay. Just upgraded it to two 256g m.2 SSD in raid 0 mode and changed the platter drive 1T 2.5 for storage to a 2.5 1T SSD. So quadrupled my OS and app drive and stayed the same on storage drive but switched to the cooler and faster SSD. Now I actually have reasonable room on the laptop to install games. Utterly amazing how small all that stuff is now as the laptop is still 1/2" and csn pick it up with two fingers.

But I can't migrate my OS from the clone over to the raid drive and get it recognized in the bios boot menu, even though in the drive info section it shows it as a bootable drive. It's maddening, which is why i hate doing computer work. Plus I had to disassemble the entire laptop, remove the MB just to install those damn m.2 drives. Everything works proper on the drives other than allowing it in the boot menu. So booting from the cloned drive.

If you are wanting to boot from the array, you will have to reinstall the OS after creating the array. If you don't want to boot from the array, then your boot disk will have to be on a different controller.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
I want the OS on the faster raid array and because the storage is not raid and 2.5 they are already on seperate controllers. But trying to avoid an os reinstall and instead use my cloned copy on the storage drive, which did copy over properly. But I might just have to start with a clean install which sux and wastes many hours for me.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
I want the OS on the faster raid array and because the storage is not raid and 2.5 they are already on seperate controllers. But trying to avoid an os reinstall and instead use my cloned copy on the storage drive, which did copy over properly. But I might just have to start with a clean install which sux and wastes many hours for me.

Sorry, D_J. At least you are not going to hit the size limitation on the bootable partition. Some small concession perhaps.

Reactions: ThreeDJ16

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Up for discussion:

rBdkeMf.jpg

dhaiken

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Geek Alert! ;-}

dhaiken

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sorry, D_J. At least you are not going to hit the size limitation on the bootable partition. Some small concession perhaps.
Actually, 2 Geek Alerts! ;-}
Or 3 if you count me knowing what they were saying. :facepalm:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Eh, I'll take that on a T-shirt and wear it....LoL.

Now if any of you are playing Fallout 4, then we can talk nerd.....LOL. Seriously, I have a GDNA here that is Fallout 4 themed, I just got to finish the polish and toss in some internals.

But previous commitments come first and I am not quite finished there. Just being ridiculously slow, but not by my own choice.....damnit....frustrating. ARGH!! Just know I am going to go absolutely insane when I have to be more sedate than I already am. Maybe I can put my lathe on a roll around cart so I can roll it over to my couch.....hahahaha....I can see the look of horror on the wife's face. She has already been way, way more than understanding with my micro shop being in the house since I can't stand up out in my shop for more than a few minutes. But damn that would be cool. Rolling work stations, one for soldering, one for sanding and CA, one for the lathe and then I guess a new wife would be in order too........:eek:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
You could always try to get the lathe work done first, then the finish work could be done from a bed....

Can you bribe her with home made meals?
Lol....hell, I don't know what sleeping in a bed is like anymore. I haven't been able to for years now due to my back. Meals would be great too, if I could deal with all the standing. So both those are out....lol. I am getting a little lathe time in here and there. The wife grabbed me some cheap pillows from Walmart to put in my lathe chair so I could stand sitting in it for a little while. So I'm hoping to finish up my drip tip orders right after I get these couple of mods finished.

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Thanks everyone, it really feels great to have so many good friends on this forum. I continue to be touched by the caring people of this forum (Bob, don't you touch me or I will report you...LoL). But seriously, words are powerless to express my gratitude.

I had my pre-op appointments yesterday which was a frustrating test of my patience, but glad that is over. Did find out he has decided to go through an incision in the back, versus the stomach, which was previously mentioned. Huge relief of my mind. Freakn 3 nights in the hospital and 3 month recovery afterward is what he told me to expect. I can handle the 3 months off, but 3 nights in the hospital
is going to make me insane. Also, he is keeping me at home now until the surgery and no going to work (which I only had a few working days left anyway). Now the tough decisions for me, which mods do I sneak in and whether I should bring my laptop or just a small galaxy note? LoL. Leaning towards laptop for gaming. I get really bored sitting still.

Miss Tibs, we need some more coffee in this thread as I am short on any other pics!

Gimme the Doc's number, I got a suggestion for another way into the back, might hurt a bit more though (Ouch!) :shock:

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Gimme the Doc's number, I got a suggestion for another way into the back, might hurt a bit more though (Ouch!) :shock:

You are such a fine individual for volunteering to have the procedure demonstrated on your own self for the youtube video. That way DJ's doctor can see the proper method. Bravo to you!

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Woohoo! Finally figured out how to clone the clone to the raid array and get it booting, without a damn clean install. Which btw, the jerks don't give you a disc anymore for a windows install with the new laptops with no Bluray or DVD drive. I have a portable drive, but went back through all my packaging, no freakn disc. So I would have had to step back to Win7 to get back to my Win10 install.....argh. Thankfully that didn't happen. All is back working on the silky smooth SSD drives. The old 1T platter drive gets tossed into a USB drive case and hooked up to one of my routers for a media server next. I don't let anything go to waste if I don't have to. Now the old desktop media server can sleep more....LoL.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
Woohoo! Finally figured out how to clone the clone to the raid array and get it booting, without a damn clean install. Which btw, the jerks don't give you a disc anymore for a windows install with the new laptops with no Bluray or DVD drive. I have a portable drive, but went back through all my packaging, no freakn disc. So I would have had to step back to Win7 to get back to my Win10 install.....argh. Thankfully that didn't happen. All is back working on the silky smooth SSD drives. The old 1T platter drive gets tossed into a USB drive case and hooked up to one of my routers for a media server next. I don't let anything go to waste if I don't have to. Now the old desktop media server can sleep more....LoL.

Please don't wear your fingers out recuperating......:thumb:

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
They have wifi so i can use either online. Checked that part out in advance yesterday.

Make sure your ports are tied down. When on hospital WiFi I finger the network and it's amazing how many guest ip's have wide open ports and theoretically (wink wink nod nod) I could have peeked around and downloaded files from them or worse yet RDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread