Not open for further replies.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Three things:
1) the roads are taken care of - I mean, extremely well care of. Unless you're driving in the middle of a BAD storm, no problem.
2) Northerners equip cars with winter tires and many of them have four wheel drive.
3) We drive in the snow 6 months a year. We know how to drive in it.

As far as trusting other drivers, why would I trust them, ice or no ice? Always keep an eye out. ;)

I'm just poking fun at the south because I grew up there and experienced the hundreds of cars abandoned on streets because of an inch. Truth be told - it makes no sense for the south to be prepared for it though. Just like it makes no sense for us to have tornado shelters all over the place up here.

That is what I meant. Northerners (and areas of states bordering the north) have experience driving on snow. Pure ice is a different story for anyone, on foot or in a car.

Southerners don't have experience with either, but what we usually get is ice. Some think that if they drive really, really fast they won't have time to slip and slide. Never fails one of them will take out several cars. Or you get the person who stops on a hill with several cars behind them. Fun times.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
Yep, weather and climate are absolutely synonymous. :confused:

North country where it's typical -30 for a month, 47 degrees and raining. Damned ice age I tell you...

PS 30 degrees is too cold to golf? We grill hamburgers in blizzards bro! :D

North-Vs-South-in-Winter.jpg
Mediterranean weather, if it gets less than 40F or rains more than usual we stay home. I've only seen that much snow in movies.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Hope you have a good day today _J, I'll make some decisions and get back to you on that PM. Thanks brother.

Jeeez, it's been a horrible weather day. A line of storms from the Gulf to Maine has been active all damn day, and we were stuck in the middle of it the entire time. So today got deemed a chill out on the couch day. Haven't felt like moving....LoL. But I did get started making some of the blanks for drip tips yesterday. So getting a little accomplished, just slow and take things day by day as to how I'm feeling that day.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
EDIT: oh yeah, and good morning D_J! Just stopping by to b#%@h a little...:facepalm:
Stop by to b#%@h anytime. And you got my number too. Ya'll be safe in all that nasty weather out there right now. Ours is just rain, which still sux.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That is what I meant. Northerners (and areas of states bordering the north) have experience driving on snow. Pure ice is a different story for anyone, on foot or in a car.
12172014150257.jpg

Andy-tires4.jpg

Easy to say from this perspective, right? Mid 70's and sunny today. :D

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
I have a street legal sand rail I built in 1988 with disabled front brakes. (poured epoxy in the front brake lines before assembly) It is the best handling thing on ice or snow I've ever driven. On ice it will slide but with full control of steering due to no front brakes. Terra tires on the back with an aluminum skid plate under the whole thing and with the engine in the back the cg is behind center so it will plane up on top of the snow. As long as you don't stop till you feel the tires touch ground again it just keeps going and the front tires act like rudders. During an 18 incher we had I was going through the ditches to get around the fancy 4 wheel drives that were stuck.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
Arizona, Ecuador
I have a street legal sand rail I built in 1988 with disabled front brakes. (poured epoxy in the front brake lines before assembly) It is the best handling thing on ice or snow I've ever driven. On ice it will slide but with full control of steering due to no front brakes. Terra tires on the back with an aluminum skid plate under the whole thing and with the engine in the back the cg is behind center so it will plane up on top of the snow. As long as you don't stop till you feel the tires touch ground again it just keeps going and the front tires act like rudders. During an 18 incher we had I was going through the ditches to get around the fancy 4 wheel drives that were stuck.

That is hilarious....:D

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Why did I figure you owned something like that and even more so, would do something like that....LOL. Outlaw!

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
That's just awesome!!:thumb:

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Well folks another great day in PT. I feel so good afterwards. Between last Tuesday and today, I now have all of the batch 5 tip blanks made (except B2L, still making up his mind). So just got to turn, sand, CA and polish them. Even made a few extras. Unfortunately I can only sit so long at the lathe, so only going to do a few at the time. Also getting back into soldering a little bit. Can't sit there doing it long either, but it's a start. Unfortunately painting is more difficult. I can't lift and dump the 3 or 4 gallons of water it takes to do the swirl paint yet and my lil wife isn't very strong. So hoping to figure something out with that, so I can get some mods finished that need painting. Feeling so much less stressed now that I'm making a little headway. Even though everyone has been super nice and patient with me (except Bob...jerk), I still put pressure on myself and hate to make people wait. So this is making me feel better in both departments. Getting there.

Thanks all of you for the love and support you've shown me. Really seeing that light at the end of the tunnel getting closer. Damn, hope I didn't jinx myself. But setbacks happen and have already happened several time, I expected as much. But just keep on keeping on! LoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread