Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Ok, so I've ordered 20 gourmet vanilla pods to give this another go and make my own concentrate. Got the glycerin, crock-pot and vanilla.
Can I add custard to the mix in any way and make my own vanilla custard?

I found a custard and this is the ingredient list. Bare in mind that I do not consume dairy or eggs at all and so this is the one I can use.
Anyway, or just plain old vanilla?
Thanks

Ingredients

• Maize Starch,
  • salt,
  • Flavouring,
  • Colour (Annatto)
BTW, is it safe to vape anything that we can eat apart from oil???
That's an important one I guess.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Ok, so I've ordered 20 gourmet vanilla pods to give this another go and make my own concentrate. Got the glycerin, crock-pot and vanilla.

I found a custard and this is the ingredient list. Bare in mind that I do not consume dairy or eggs at all and so this is the one I can use.
Thanks

Ingredients

• Maize Starch,
  • salt,
  • Flavouring,
  • Colour (Annatto)
Any reason you are not buying an already made flavor(not an already made ejuice) for custard? Trying to make your own can be expensive and hazardous to your health.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Any reason you are not buying an already made flavor(not an already made ejuice) for custard? Trying to make your own can be expensive and hazardous to your health.

Cool, I thought as much.
The vanilla is a simple one. They all taste :nah: in my opinion.
I know lots of you like them but I find all concentrates horrible. I've tried All the top brands and just rubbished my nic and vg.
Custard never tastes like custard.

Out of the two i have found 1 pre made vanilla ejuice that actually tasted like real vanilla. At £10 a bottle I just can't do it anymore.

Reactions: f4milytime

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Ingredients
  • Maize Starch,
  • Salt,
  • Flavouring,
  • Colour (Annatto)
Apart from a 0.9% saline solution used in e-liquid recipes (1-3%), I wouldn't vape any foods. I don't want to vape colors. I'd want to know what "Flavouring" is, since it can be a lot of things. And I'm sure corn starch would instantly gunk your equipment in the same way that natural sugar doesn't belong in e-liquid (and probably wouldn't be good for your health, either).

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Apart from a 0.9% saline solution used in e-liquid recipes (1-3%), I wouldn't vape any foods. I don't want to vape colors. I'd want to know what "Flavouring" is, since it can be a lot of things. And I'm sure corn starch would instantly gunk your equipment in the same way that natural sugar doesn't belong in e-liquid (and probably wouldn't be good for your health, either).

Thanks very much. Yep, I reread and thought the same thing after reading sugar and spice's post.

Okay, my list is so short at the moment.
I think I'm good with;
vanilla,
tobacco,
coffee,
mint,

Not sure what else.

Reactions: man00ver

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Cool, I thought as much.
The vanilla is a simple one. They all taste :nah: in my opinion.
I know lots of you like them but I find all concentrates horrible. I've tried All the top brands and just rubbished my nic and vg.
Custard never tastes like custard.

Out of the two i have found 1 pre made vanilla ejuice that actually tasted like real vanilla. At £10 a bottle I just can't do it anymore.
Usually to get the 'taste' you are looking for you would probably need to combine the custard with a type of sweet cream or milk type of flavor.

Have you tried different %'s when mixing your eliquid? Sometimes less is more.

:)

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Usually to get the 'taste' you are looking for you would probably need to combine the custard with a type of sweet cream or milk type of flavor.

Have you tried different %'s when mixing your eliquid? Sometimes less is more.

Thanks but yeah, I've done it all. 1,2,5,10,12,15,20% singles, multi...

Some of the most well known premades I can't tell either.
Mothers milk - custard & strawberry? Really
Dillinger
No.51
Captains reserve
Arise.

None of them taste like custard. At all. The custard is always the same. It doesn't taste like your eating a bowl of custard.
You must have fantastic, keen & acute taste if you can taste it.
The only ejuice I enjoyed was kind juice which tasted somewhat realistic.
I'm thinking that if I follow suit and extract things myself I will at least have a better chance of my juice tasting authentic.

Reactions: Kenna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Custards and cream flavorings take a while to steep. Hopefully, you stashed them somewhere and not trashed them. If you still have them go back and revisit the older ones.

Never throw them out without giving them ample time for the flavor to join and blend together. Since flavorings are different types of chemicals, it sometimes takes 3 weeks or longer before they taste like they are suppose to. Kinda like how meatloaf always taste better the 2nd day. This is because the flavors have had time to blend.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Custards and cream flavorings take a while to steep. Hopefully, you stashed them somewhere and not trashed them. If you still have them go back and revisit the older ones.

Never throw them out without giving them ample time for the flavor to join and blend together. Since flavorings are different types of chemicals, it sometimes takes 3 weeks or longer before they taste like they are suppose to. Kinda like how meatloaf always taste better the 2nd day. This is because the flavors have had time to blend.

If you're looking for something eggy, Capella's custard is probably the one you want... But it needs to steep.
As far as making your own from ingredients that you would use to make the food... I would not recommend that.

1) Yeah, I have steeped for so long and it tasted pretty much the same. I've left it in the dark, opened, unopened, hot water, microwave. I've done it all and it is nothing like eating a bowl of custard. In no way similar.

2) Ok. It was just a silly thought. We can forget that now. I'm just gonna stick with natural flavours which are naturally extracted by me.

Thanks guys.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Thanks but yeah, I've done it all. 1,2,5,10,12,15,20% singles, multi...

Some of the most well known premades I can't tell either.
Mothers milk - custard & strawberry? Really
Dillinger
No.51
Captains reserve
Arise.

None of them taste like custard. At all. The custard is always the same. It doesn't taste like your eating a bowl of custard.
You must have fantastic, keen & acute taste if you can taste it.
The only ejuice I enjoyed was kind juice which tasted somewhat realistic.
I'm thinking that if I follow suit and extract things myself I will at least have a better chance of my juice tasting authentic.
Try Inawera Custard. To me it's very rich, thick, j eggy. It takes a 3-4 week steep to get happy. You can always add some vanilla. I add Aged Bourbon Cream from Real Flavors to it for a really tasty bourbon custard. All custards require a pretty good steep, especially if they are high vg.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

If I'm understanding you correctly, You want to add custard flavoring during the vanilla Bean extracting process. I would not extract vanilla beans in anything other then a pure PG/VG or PGA medium. I would not add flavoring to any extraction medium because It may affect the resulting taste of the primary raw material your trying to extract in a negative way.

Last edited:

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
Try Inawera Custard. To me it's very rich, thick, j eggy. It takes a 3-4 week steep to get happy. You can always add some vanilla. I add Aged Bourbon Cream from Real Flavors to it for a really tasty bourbon custard. All custards require a pretty good steep, especially if they are high vg.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

INW Custard is a favorite of mine as well. I mix it 4% / 3% with Nude Patchouli Vanilla and that's really my favorite vanilla custard, but you can use whatever vanilla you like. If I had some of @Zutankhamun 's vanilla extract, I'd combine it with INW Custard.

Prisoner Zero

Aug 28, 2015

Thanks

Ingredients

• Maize Starch,
  • Salt,
  • Flavouring,
  • Colour (Annatto)

I make my own Vanilla PG, I never find ejuice flavors of vanilla that I cant taste the alcohol in. Many are made from steeped alcohol and vanilla beans. They do this because it only takes 15 days to steep in alcohol vs 180 days I do in my PG.
Im sure there are ones that are made without alcohol, but all the ones I get are. I can test it in premade juice as well like VCT.

I take 1000ML of PG and 6 whole vanilla beans split them in half and add to large 2500ML glass steeper. I put it in my closet for 6 months. I strain the PG in hip colander (spelling idk) and heat to 85 degrees. And refrigerate after. Its very very strong flavor. Best ive ever used while making custards.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you're looking for something eggy, Capella's custard is probably the one you want... But it needs to steep.
As far as making your own from ingredients that you would use to make the food... I would not recommend that.
Just as a reference point, probably 95% of all commercial custards = (CAP) Vanilla Custard base (v1) + (mixing some other vanillas or whatever into the mix). Yes, it's all custom and proprietary and the marketing departments of e-liquid manufacturers have spent billions of man hours designing and extracting their own custard flavors and bases, except... they're lying to you -- pardon me, I meant to say: presenting alternate facts/engaging in marketing -- no they haven't, they threw some c--p into a bottle and spent 2% of their time making a recipe and 98% of their time figuring out their marketing strategy to get you to buy .25 worth of something for $30.

I honestly have no idea regarding the safety or efficacy of extracting your own materials, but its way more effort than I personally can deal with :)

Also, there are roughly 2 billion custard e-liquid recipes available online if you search Google; it's probably the single most popular e-liquid everybody wants to make/or copy some variant of, such as GVC or whatever.

If your epic custard journey succeeds and you find the One True Custard for You, then congratulations. I just mix it with other stuff :)

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Just as a reference point, probably 95% of all commercial custards = (CAP) Vanilla Custard base (v1) + (mixing some other vanillas or whatever into the mix). Yes, it's all custom and proprietary and the marketing departments of e-liquid manufacturers have spent billions of man hours designing and extracting their own custard flavors and bases, except... they're lying to you -- pardon me, I meant to say: presenting alternate facts/engaging in marketing -- no they haven't, they threw some c--p into a bottle and spent 2% of their time making a recipe and 98% of their time figuring out their marketing strategy to get you to buy .25 worth of something for $30.

I honestly have no idea regarding the safety or efficacy of extracting your own materials, but its way more effort than I personally can deal with :)

Also, there are roughly 2 billion custard e-liquid recipes available online if you search Google; it's probably the single most popular e-liquid everybody wants to make/or copy some variant of, such as GVC or whatever.

If your epic custard journey succeeds and you find the One True Custard for You, then congratulations. I just mix it with other stuff :)
This reads just like mainstream media fake news lol :D sources? ;)

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Thanks very much. Yep, I reread and thought the same thing after reading sugar and spice's post.

Okay, my list is so short at the moment.
I think I'm good with;
vanilla,
tobacco,
coffee,
mint,

Not sure what else.
Vanilla: I'd suggest using a mix of different vanillas to see if you can come up with something that you like. LoveVanilla suggested that to me and I've been doing that ever since. I'm currently using equal parts TFA Vanilla Swirl, Vanillin, and Vanilla Bean Gelato. Another good combo is FA Vanilla Tahita and Inawera Vanilla.
Tobacco: Hangsen and Inawera should be good starting places for tobacco flavors. I also enjoy the SC (super concentrate) sold at Bull City and other places.
Coffee: Another hard one, depending on your taste buds. This thread might help. Perfumers Apprentice Coffee Extra (Clear) & coffee recommendations
Mint: I don't use this flavor so can't help on this one.

Good luck and happy vaping. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread