Mech Mods with top venting holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm looking for your help. I hope to collect a list of mechanical tube mods which utilize upper body vent holes.

These can have actual holes in the body tube, or have specially designed upper body side fire buttons (like the Silver Bullet) designed to vent gas during a battery vent.

flip3e2_093c0226-a8ea-42c0-b23e-b83c1cb1ddd5_1024x1024.jpg

With the advent and popular use of modern safe chemistry (IMR & INR) batteries, "battery" explosions in a mod appear to be a thing of the past. However, safe chemistry batteries can and do still vent gas during failure. It is the accumulation of gas in a sealed metal tube (mech tube mod) which will most likely cause a mod to explode if this gas has no escape route.

phot1o-jpg.255217
vented AW IMR battery

proxy.php

Vent holes located in the bottom battery cap are probably useless, as the battery itself may physically block the escape of gas from the tube, making the tube potentially an enclosed metal tube and pipe bomb. A safer design is to have the gas escape routes located where the gas originates from, the top of the battery. Note the ideal location of vent holes in the above Flip mod in relation to the top of the battery.

Please list the mechanical mods, that you are aware of, that have vent holes in the upper 1/3 of the mod.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
it's not female threads on both ends of the tube????
I had mine the same way with the holes at the bottom initially until somebody here on ecf pointed out that I just just swap around bottom and topcaps to get the vent holes at the top.

The top mod is a V2.

The bottom mod is a GP V3.
It has no holes on either end.

Reactions: edyle

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
The GP Paps v1, v2, and v2.5 have vent holes on the tube. The tubes have 20x1 threading on both sides so the vent holes can be orientated on the bottom as they were designed or on the top if desired. The GP Paps v3 and v4 have no vent holes on the tube as the switches are now designed to have venting (disqualifying them from the criteria listed in the OP).

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
The GP Paps v3 and v4 have no vent holes on the tube as the switches are now designed to have venting (disqualifying them from the criteria listed in the OP).

No, that does not disqualify them if the holes are in the upper 1/3 of the tube. I said that mods using specially designed switches which allow venting could be included.

The GP Paps v3 and v4 have no vent holes on the tube - this should disqualify them from your list. If you're looking for mods with top venting holes, then I would think that you wouldn't consider the Paps v3 and v4 switches with venting since they are on the bottom.
:blink:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The GP Paps v3 and v4 have no vent holes on the tube - this should disqualify them from your list. If you're looking for mods with top venting holes, then I would think that you wouldn't consider switches with venting since they are on the bottom.
:blink:
I had to edit the above post once I looked up the Papas v3 and 4. I must have made the edit right after you posted this. You were too fast for me... :blush:

Last edited:
Reactions: Firestorm

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I had to edit the above post once I looked up the Papas v3 and 4. I must have made the edit right before you posted this. You were too fast for me... :blush:

:)
That's why I dropped pics of each.

This thread is an excellent idea.

Top holes aren't a deal breaker for me but I understand the risks and I don't have a need to push batteries to their limits.

Reactions: Baditude

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
if you want top vent holes a drill and a small drill bit can provide them on any mod
Have you actually tried this before? Trying to drill holes into a rounded metal tube with a hand held power drill can be extremely difficult, unless you own a drill press.

Better idea is to find a machine shop with a drill press and pay a skilled machinist a few bucks to have 2 - 3 holes drilled in. What's a few bucks worth to you if it keeps your teeth and face intact?

james-lauria-e-cigarette.jpg

Last edited:

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Have you actually tried this before? Trying to drill holes into a rounded metal tube can be extremely difficult unless you own a drill press.

Better idea is to find a machine shop with a drill press and pay a machinist a few bucks to have 2 - 3 holes drilled in. What's a few bucks worth to you if it keeps your teeth and face intact?

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F83f308dd319e175385551f8b69f2796c%2F202599248%2FScreen%2BShot%2B2015-09-08%2Bat%2B12.14.55%2BPM.png
I actually grind two small holes in the top of my nemesis using a dremel tool and a small diamond burr. these do not slip like a drill bit would. you can also file a small flat before starting the hole or insert a wooden dowel into the tube to support it and use a center punch to create a divot that will keep your drill from slipping I do not use coils under 0.67 ohms (about 6 amps max) and have the proper equipment to test my batteries and my coils.never had a battery get warm or vent. even a 4nine with the wrong tank will give some warning before batteries vent or explode these kind of accident occur when people push their batteries too hard and batteries get warm before they explode. the man is this picture was careless enough to be a candidate for the Darwin award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread