Interested in a backup mech. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm a veteran vaper. I've used mechs in the past. With this uncertainy about vaping in the future, I'm considering another mech. I've been out of the mech market for 2 - 3 years and not aware what is available.

I still have my Silver Bullet. I'm looking for another side fire button tube, preferrably located on the upper end of the tube. Vent holes in the upper end of the mod, too.

I'm beginning to get arthritis in my hands, and wouldn't be able to use a bottom fire button. I personally don't trust a tube mod that doesn't have vent holes.

Any suggestions? All my mods use 18650 batteries, but I'd be willing to consider a larger size battery if need be.

I may need to look into a mechanical box mod. Again, not aware what's currently on the market. Something comfortable to hold in the hand, probably a side fire button. Do they exist?

Links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I was thinking about this and was looking at my mods. I know you said no bottom fire because of arthritis. I have a Kennedy Vindicator with the regular button. It's bottom fire but has the top vent holes and you barely have to touch the button for it to fire. Unfortunately it does use 21700 batteries. I don't think I've ever seen anyone have any complaints. Good luck on your search.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
There's a sweet sale on the asmodus Luna squonk. It's a semi-regulated, has some basic protections but is a voltage pass through device. I use 510 refill bottles with squonkers, so there's no fiddling with the internal squonk bottles.

For side fire tube mechs, you might look for a Bestia Animal (18650) or Fiera (21700), if you're okay with a hybrid style. The originals are pricey, though clones are readily available.

The infinite modz Hyperion v2 is another side fire 21700. Again kind of pricey, though less than the Bestias.

Reactions: Baditude

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I didn't notice it was you, Bad. Take a look at that Hyperion V2 [emoji3] I'm not positive, but haven't seen any use of "hybrid" with it, so it may have a normal 510.

Otherwise, in a squonker you might like the Skullkandy Alchemist like I just picked up. Reasonable price, beautifully executed mechanicals, a usable off switch function, and a nice fire button ( the button itself is large and doesn't take much pressure to fire)

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
For side fire, I'm not really sure. There's the Purge Slam Piece and Slim Piece... they have fire bars on the side. I've seen the Bestia, but not used it. Sadly, I think most side firing mechs have the switch at the bottom. I have a couple mods with top side firing switches, but they're not true mechs... they incorporate a mosfet in the mix.

For box mods, I have a Geekvape Mech Pro, a Castigator, a Dmitri, a Rokstar Ninja, and a no name stab wood mod. There's another I can't remember the name of Of those, I LOVE the Castigator, but it might be harder to find. Rokstar is kinda cool as it will convert from a parallel box to a single tube and backm but only supports a 22mm atty. The Mech Pro is probably your best bet...

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I'm with Don on the Vindicator. More reliable and better built you'd have a hard time finding for anywhere close to the price. Maybe at any price. You can run a 18650 in there with the adapter they include. I have arthritic hands, too, and I love how the Vindicator just sort of falls into the web between thumb and forefinger. Pressing the button with the middle finger is pretty natural in that position, and doesn't take much effort. I have a harder time pressing the fire buttons on Provaris.

Oh yeah. Get on Fasttech afterwards and buy a nice matching heatsink. They actually help keep your attys cool.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
IF you're going to consider a bottom firing mech tube, I really really really like the Broadside Nashed Admiral. The Clutch firing mechanism takes very little pressure, and can be adjusted. It has a few contours, so it'll be easy to grip, and has a standard 510 connector.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
For mech squonk mods, the signature sq is nice and compact, comfortable, built like a tank, and has a good fire button on the side. I have seen some pop up on the used market recently (vape trader, eBay, and other forums) and are currently still available. Another option, if your looking for cheaper, is the Athena squonk mod. It is metal, feels a little bigger than the sq but still compact enough to be comfortable, and can be found in the discount bin at a lot of retailers right now for a steal of a price.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Forgot to also mention no faux hybrid mechs. I knew this wouldn't be easy. Any regulated squonkers that work in bypass mode?

I am assuming you are looking for a mechanical device due to their simplicity which plays into longevity – as you stated, preparing for the uncertainty of vaping’s future. If that is the case, then why consider a regulated device that employs a bypass feature? Bypass still goes through the regulated circuitry, you are still prone to any potential circuit failure.

Many mechanical squonkers to be found which would meet your requirements. Few mechanical box mods. Not something I shop for, but most I have seen have been low production runs that come with a higher cost.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I really like those Vindicators, I hope I get to pick one up before they’re all gone.
Kennedy Enterprises apparently has no plans to stop production. You can buy their mods on their website for the same price that everyone else sells them for. Unless you run across a sale like I did. At any rate, it's a really fine piece of metalwork for $130. That's less than half the price of a Slam Piece.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
How strange, I just started using a mech again after quite some time.
Recommendation would be a Stingray X clone as it's the best by a long way of all that I have used. I have a brand new spare one that I could gift you if you like, if you pay for the US>UK shipping.
PM me if you are interested

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am assuming you are looking for a mechanical device due to their simplicity which plays into longevity – as you stated, preparing for the uncertainty of vaping’s future. If that is the case, then why consider a regulated device that employs a bypass feature? Bypass still goes through the regulated circuitry, you are still prone to any potential circuit failure.

Many mechanical squonkers to be found which would meet your requirements. Few mechanical box mods. Not something I shop for, but most I have seen have been low production runs that come with a higher cost.
Mostly because of comfort in the hand. If its not comfortable to me I won't use it. The Reo Grand that I have is very uncomfortable ergonomically to hold and to operate the fire button (on top), to the point I'm not not certain if I'd ever use it (not to mention that the Reomizer that I had purchased specifically for the Grand top cap has never fit ... even after being sent back to Reomods for repair.

I have remembered seeing some regulated squonker which looked like it would be very comfortable to hold... I didn't pay attention to remembering the name because at the time I had no interest in buying it.

That's why. A lot of the squared off mech mods are a lot like Geekvapes' Nova regulated mods; I was sent one for free by Geekvape and never got around to writing a review, but that was one of the most uncomfortable mods that I have ever used. It would be last in line of the mods I have other than the Reo.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Mostly because of comfort in the hand. If its not comfortable to me I won't use it. The Reo Grand that I have is very uncomfortable ergonomically to hold and to operate the fire button (on top), to the point I'm not not certain if I'd ever use it (not to mention that the Reomizer that I had purchased specifically for the Grand top cap has never fit ... even after being sent back to Reomods for repair.

I have remembered seeing some regulated squonker which looked like it would be very comfortable to hold... I didn't pay attention to remembering the name because at the time I had no interest in buying it.

That's why. A lot of the squared off mech mods are a lot like Geekvapes' Nova regulated mods; I was sent one for free by Geekvape and never got around to writing a review, but that was one of the most uncomfortable mods that I have ever used. It would be last in line of the mods I have other than the Reo.

Fair reason for a side button fire device. But why bypass? Are you looking for a fixed voltage device? Just confused as to why your inquiry with a mechanical and then bring up a regulated with bypass functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread