Interested in a backup mech. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
When you guys decide on a mech how do the material options come into play for you? It looks like brass, copper, ss, and sometimes aluminum are the main players. I hear copper especially and brass are going to “patina” after awhile, and then ss is going to be the least conductive of the four. Aside from that it would just be aesthetics to differentiate for me. How else does material factor into longevity, performance etc?

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
C3BFB9F4-902C-49A0-B827-8CCE19B8BE83.jpeg
When you guys decide on a mech how do the material options come into play for you? It looks like brass, copper, ss, and sometimes aluminum are the main players. I hear copper especially and brass are going to “patina” after awhile, and then ss is going to be the least conductive of the four. Aside from that it would just be aesthetics to differentiate for me. How else does material factor into longevity, performance etc?

Back in the day, I was all about copper and brass. But I got tired of my hands stinking and having to regularly polish. Now I just use stainless steel mods due to ease. I also MTL so voltage drop is less of an issue.

Plus, SS looks awesome IMO...

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
That’s why I was asking, lol. I was looking at the Vindicator 21700 and really like the ss with the copper cap. I don’t know how much drop it would have though. I wouldn’t be redlining it so I don’t know whether I would really notice or it become a problem but at the same time I still want it to work well. Any idea the difference in drop between two identical mods but one being ss and one being copper or brass? I think copper is best of the three in conductivity right?

Reactions: Electrodave

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Copper and aluminum are more conductive than brass and SS. But as Mooch has shown in his videos, the advantages in performance are negligible. SS is way easier to keep in good shape than copper, brass or aluminum however.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
For the long term you'll want threads made of stainless steel or they will wear out. If you really like a device with copper, brass or aluminum threads it would be a good idea to get a 510 adapter/heatsink for it to reduce the number of times you use those softer threads.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
i'd recommend a Kennedy Vindicator in Stainles steel.

It's 21700 though.

But SS will last an eternity regardless of the # of drops it gets.

Also Kennedy gives lifetime warranty in all their products (I have had free service even on the cerakoting eventually wearing off here and there), they even throw freebies when you send a mod for repair (like a new switch / drip tip, etc)

Reactions: Dr. Seuss

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
That’s why I was asking, lol. I was looking at the Vindicator 21700 and really like the ss with the copper cap. I don’t know how much drop it would have though. I wouldn’t be redlining it so I don’t know whether I would really notice or it become a problem but at the same time I still want it to work well. Any idea the difference in drop between two identical mods but one being ss and one being copper or brass? I think copper is best of the three in conductivity right?

Mooch has test on the Dreamer mod with SS / Brass / Copper versions. If i remember he tested at 0.12 or 0.15ohms

SS sees a WATTAGE drop 9W more than SS, Brass sees about 2W compared to copper

I have two SS Vindicators and vape real low (< 0.1Ohm, dont do it) and couldnt tell THAT much of a difference.

If you are 0.2 ohms and above it basically wont make a difference

Reactions: Dr. Seuss

Mermaaan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
California
Does something like this fit your tube mech interest?
842116173750ea0658de4dd704521198.jpg

IMG_0762.JPG

DDP Trio tube mech.

Magnetic side fire switch, brass internals, solid silver switch contact and 510 pin. Mine is in 18350 mode but it comes with 18500 and 18650 tube extensions as well. 24 mm at the atty connection.

Vapstor.fr still has a brass one in stock and the Dee Design fb group is currently running a list for the ss and black cerakote version.

Not sure about clones. Probably wouldn’t have the silver switch or 510 contact if they do exist.

Last edited:

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
I'm a veteran vaper. I've used mechs in the past. With this uncertainy about vaping in the future, I'm considering another mech. I've been out of the mech market for 2 - 3 years and not aware what is available.

I still have my Silver Bullet. I'm looking for another side fire button tube, preferrably located on the upper end of the tube. Vent holes in the upper end of the mod, too.

I'm beginning to get arthritis in my hands, and wouldn't be able to use a bottom fire button. I personally don't trust a tube mod that doesn't have vent holes.

Any suggestions? All my mods use 18650 batteries, but I'd be willing to consider a larger size battery if need be.

I may need to look into a mechanical box mod. Again, not aware what's currently on the market. Something comfortable to hold in the hand, probably a side fire button. Do they exist?

Links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

37ec957e975b9f12b829f0bc16426321.jpg

1) New Infinitie Pegasus 21700. Very compact only 3.1 inches tall. 29mm up top so looks good with a 30 mm RDA. Very lightweight aluminum.

2) New Copper Infinitie Hyperion 21700. Very compact also only 3.1 inches tall. 25mm up top. One is the smallest 21700 made and powerful

3) New Murdered Out Immortal Exile 21700 Parallel sidefire. Well under retail. One of the most powerful mods I have used. Will drop those low lows. Very well machined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Bluenatic

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
You can order straight tubes what did u do email him? Did thy cost more?

i mailed them the first time, they told me i just needed to leave it in the order's comments (they have a box for it at checkout), I've got 3 already SS / Copper / Cerakote Copper (plus 2 standard ones)

I'm selling the SS and the Raw copper if you are interested, barely used them, just have too much stuff around

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
i mailed them the first time, they told me i just needed to leave it in the order's comments (they have a box for it at checkout), I've got 3 already SS / Copper / Cerakote Copper (plus 2 standard ones)

I'm selling the SS and the Raw copper if you are interested, barely used them, just have too much stuff around

cd3776ce1d5d68d5d750cabbc6b3ed77.jpg

Kinda more thinking of a ruby done that way

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Those Kennedys make me drool. I really hope I can grab one before some rule gets made saying they can’t be sold.

What’s the deal with the square post upgrade? It’s like a Velocity post? I don’t remember seeing that on their site.

Bigger holes for bigger coils and copper vs ss posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread