Interested in a backup mech. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I'm willing to spend maybe upwards of $120 for a "quality" piece that fits my want list. $50 for the rda. I'm not particular whether its a clone or not, unless someone knows why not to get one or the other.

Here is the lost vape Furyan mechanical squonk mod, still selling (Black and SS only) ships from New York.. price is 70.00

Lost Vape Furyan Mechanical Squonker Mod

comes with an extra bottle.

• Winner
Reactions: greek mule

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
If your willing to do the Facebook thing.....Mod Bros Onimaru...21700 all silver internals small comfy and $115... wait there is a non FB site too modbros4lyfe.com

Attachments

• images 4.jpg
    images 4.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
OP wants a true mech that is long lasting.Wires might broke.

What is stressing the wire for it to break? I live in a home that was built in the late 50’s….original wiring for both telephone and electrical. 60 + years and still conducting a current.

Reactions: Electrodave

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
What is stressing the wire for it to break? I live in a home that was built in the late 50’s….original wiring for both telephone and electrical. 60 + years and still conducting a current.

Do you remember when the Dotmod squonker (mechanical mod) first came out and the thing was autofiring on a bunch of people?

That was due to a wire.. Dotmod had to offer to fix it for their customers free, and then updated their switch in a later version..

If a wire comes loose or fails on a mech that has no protections it can be far more dangerous than on a regulated mod..

That's why a lot of people request true mechanical mods, ones that don't have wiring unless they, like the AsModus Luna, have protection as well..

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Do you remember when the Dotmod squonker (mechanical mod) first came out and the thing was autofiring on a bunch of people?

That was due to a wire.. Dotmod had to offer to fix it for their customers free, and then updated their switch in a later version..

If a wire comes loose or fails on a mech that has no protections it can be far more dangerous than on a regulated mod..

That's why a lot of people request true mechanical mods, ones that don't have wiring unless they, like the AsModus Luna, have protection as well..

Why was the wire at fault? Was it due to the gauge not being able to handle the current? If so, then a steel bar is still susceptible to the same fault. The device needs to be engineered to handle the applied current, regardless if a wire is used or a steel bar.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Why was the wire at fault? Was it due to the gauge not being able to handle the current? If so, then a steel bar is still susceptible to the same fault. The device needs to be engineered to handle the applied current, regardless if a wire is used or a steel bar.

No it wasn't the wire itself, it had partially come loose from use, such that in some people it caused an auto fire issue, and in others an inability to fire at all..

If you recall, I believe @jfcooley was one of the ones who had the wire fail on him and it began auto firing..

He fixed it himself and was quite lucky in that he noticed it right away so there wasn't a catastrophic event, but still...

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
No it wasn't the wire itself, it had partially come loose from use, such that in some people it caused an auto fire issue, and in others an inability to fire at all..

If you recall, I believe @jfcooley was one of the ones who had the wire fail on him and it began auto firing..

He fixed it himself and was quite lucky in that he noticed it right away so there wasn't a catastrophic event, but still...

Fair enough. But a wire cannot cause an autofire…there is nothing mechanical within the wire to cause this. If the wire was appropriate to the amount of current that is requested by the device then there should be no problem with it conducting the needed amount of current.

Regulated devices utilize wire of a given gauge due to their design. They do not pass any more current than a mech can safely produce. So why do their wire not pose the same problem as a mech that is presumed to be less reliable if a wire is utilized (did that make sense?)

• Love
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
did that make sense?

probably not, but then I've already taken a sleeping pill if that makes sense.. lol..

but if the wire is carrying a live current, and comes partially loose, if current then hits metal it can cause issues..

whereas if there's no wires running around a mod carrying live current, then ostensibly it should stand to reason that you then have greater control over the connection, due to lack of other items involved, such as wire..

although I fully admit not being the one who knows what the exact issue with the wire was.. I just know the issue was related to loose wire..

Dr. Seuss

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2019
So it’s not necessarily a wire that is a problem it’s the connections. Integrity of design could probably sum up what we’re all saying.

I like that ModBros design. I like the Furyan too all except the design of the ‘battery door’. Those screw in circles (what would those be called?), not a fan of that.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I actually can't find it either. It may have been part of another vid or something. I did find what Rob posted on the REO forum ages ago, so here it is in all of it's porcupine-typed glory: "A simple bend of the door it will be snug as a bug .This is one of those things were if I do it myself in the shop some customers are unhappy if I don't others are unhappy its a no win for me .We have happy flickers schlick schlick and some folks hate the sound. Pull the door down just past the top of the plunger hole bend it slightly slide the door back on it should be tight .If you go to far you can bend it back" - :lol:

In a separate post he specified to pull the door down so it's even with the top of the bottle, then push in on the side to bend it.
Thank you

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I was thinking about this and was looking at my mods. I know you said no bottom fire because of arthritis. I have a Kennedy Vindicator with the regular button. It's bottom fire but has the top vent holes and you barely have to touch the button for it to fire. Unfortunately it does use 21700 batteries. I don't think I've ever seen anyone have any complaints. Good luck on your search.

I know it looks a tad wanky, but a bar-fire switch would allow for the leverage of your entire hand rather than the button option which may become more annoying over time:

Gripnade 21700 Mech MOD by Immortal Modz

Reactions: Electrodave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread