Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
:shock:Made my first venture into mixing some multi-flavor recipes today and experienced something I have not seen discussed before.

Mixing up a 25ml batch of a 3 flavor recipe, on the second flavor I happened to drip some down the outside of the bottle :oops: when glancing at the weight :shock: (thanks, tremors! :mad:). Knowing that that amount was still included in the total weight for that flavor and what was in the bottle would be short that amount, I eye-balled it at 3 drops and added 3 drips :sneaky: once the correct weight was reached. This was my first time mixing this recipe (thanks @Capt.shay for the grape/watermelon), so I won't have a clue how close I came or how far I missed it.

At the minimal cost of the ingredients added before my bobble (yeah, nic base was first :blush:), pitching it and starting over would not have been a big deal, but what would you do? Better yet, anybody else ever done this or something similar and are willing to admit to it? :blink: :D

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
:shock:Made my first venture into mixing some multi-flavor recipes today and experienced something I have not seen discussed before.

Mixing up a 25ml batch of a 3 flavor recipe, on the second flavor I happened to drip some down the outside of the bottle :oops: when glancing at the weight :shock: (thanks, tremors! :mad:). Knowing that that amount was still included in the total weight for that flavor and what was in the bottle would be short that amount, I eye-balled it at 3 drops and added 3 drips :sneaky: once the correct weight was reached. This was my first time mixing this recipe (thanks @Capt.shay for the grape/watermelon), so I won't have a clue how close I came or how far I missed it.

At the minimal cost of the ingredients added before my bobble (yeah, nic base was first :blush:), pitching it and starting over would not have been a big deal, but what would you do? Better yet, anybody else ever done this or something similar and are willing to admit to it? :blink: :D
Yeah I have a fudge up here and there. Honestly if your recipe calls for large percentage of certain flavorings a drip or two missing probably won't much if any difference.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I have done this. All I do is remove the bottle, wipe off the outside, put it back on the scale, and continue. Weight is weight, whether the ingredient is on the outside of the bottle or inside. Just be sure not to hit the tare button while you're wiping off the bottle.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I have done this. All I do is remove the bottle, wipe off the outside, put it back on the scale, and continue. Weight is weight, whether the ingredient is on the outside of the bottle or inside. Just be sure not to hit the tare button while you're wiping off the bottle.

EDIT: Ooops!

Anyway, I was successful in getting stuff down the side of the bottle and onto the scale. Enough cleaning I couldn't imagine the weight holding where it was at "the point of impact!" :eek:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
but what would you do? Better yet, anybody else ever done this or something similar and are willing to admit to it? :blink: :D
Yep... I've done it. Like @Rule62 I simply wipe it off and continue adding to my target weight. No harm/no foul. ;)

The one I can't fix (and drives me nuts) is the "hyper-squeeze." Some of my concentrates come in very rigid PET dripper bottles that I have to squeeze the daylights out of to get the drops out. If I am doing a larger batch, requiring a significant amount of one of these concentrates, I have squeezed too hard and overshot my target weight by a significant amount (targeting 2% and ending up with 3.9% as an example). Unless it is my first addition; I haven't figured out how to take the excess out! :facepalm::D

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Yep... I've done it. Like @Rule62 I simply wipe it off and continue adding to my target weight. No harm/no foul. ;)

See my post above I was editing when yours posted. Not one of my better days, hit Post Reply rather then typing my response. Maintaining my sense of humor over my tremors, the following got me chuckling more.

the "hyper-squeeze."

I'm laughing with you, not at you! :lol:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Maintaining my sense of humor over my tremors, the following got me chuckling more.
From one broken-down old foof to another; I share your frustration! :confused: Warren Zevon's song "My S(tuff)'s F(oul)ed Up" (title edited to keep a G rating per forum rules) has become my most recent theme song!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I'm laughing with you, not at you! :lol:
It's "laugh" or "cry" and I'll choose laughter every time! :D

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Trying to do this for the first time tonight. Ejuicemeup wants me to weigh 1 ml of each component to set grams before I can do anything. It's not showing grams for my recipe, so I assume I have to set weights first. I have a premixed 70 30 base I want to use up. Does anyone have weights for pg flavoring handy? All i need is the flavoring right now. I know where to top the bottle to for my mix. I do not want to unpack all the syringes just to do this.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
Better yet, anybody else ever done this or something similar and are willing to admit to it?
Yep, Been there Done That :)

Yep, what I did. :)

Does anyone have weights for pg
I show 1.038 :)

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Trying to do this for the first time tonight. Ejuicemeup wants me to weigh 1 ml of each component to set grams before I can do anything. It's not showing grams for my recipe, so I assume I have to set weights first. I have a premixed 70 30 base I want to use up. Does anyone have weights for pg flavoring handy? All i need is the flavoring right now. I know where to top the bottle to for my mix. I do not want to unpack all the syringes just to do this.

I don't use that calculator but I'm certain it has presets for them. Also, as I mentioned in my last post to you, most all the weights you will need can be found in my second post of this thread on the first page.

Edit: I use 1 for flavors.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

Drip Happens :(

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Yep, Been there Done That :)

Yep, what I did. :)

I show 1.038 :)
Thanks, I understand now!
I don't use that calculator but I'm certain it has presets for them. Also, as I mentioned in my last post to you, most all the weights you will need can be found in my second post of this thread on the first page.

Edit: I use 1 for flavors.
Nope, no presets. But I've got it now. I am Discalulate. Like Dislexia but with numbers. It takes a little more explantion for me, but something will click somehow, & boom, there it is.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Does anyone have weights for pg flavoring handy? All i need is the flavoring right now.
I've seen them go from 0.9 to 1.112g/mL depending on what all is in them (alcohol, water, etc.). Many of us simply default to 1.0g/mL (remember it's repeatability not accuracy we really need) for convenience. Other will search MSD and spec. sheets for listed specific gravities. Also, the recipe site we can't name, but everyone uses, has specific gravities for many of the flavors on file. It will look like this:
upload_2017-2-3_19-53-25.png

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I've weighed several PG based flavors that I frequently use. They all seem to range from about 1.03 to 1.06.
If they have VG in them, like some of the OSDIY flavors, like Blue Raspberry Slush, Cacti Cooler, or Pink Lemonade, they will be heavier, depending on the VG percentage. The VG percentages for these flavors is in the descriptions on the OSDIY website.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I've seen them go from 0.9 to 1.112g/mL depending on what all is in them (alcohol, water, etc.). Many of us simply default to 1.0g/mL (remember it's repeatability not accuracy we really need) for convenience. Other will search MSD and spec. sheets for listed specific gravities. Also, the recipe site we can't name, but everyone uses, has specific gravities for many of the flavors on file. It will look like this:
View attachment 633007
Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

Using the eliquids/recipe site, some upfront entering of all your ingredients, it knows all the specs for most, 100% in my case, and it's all saved for you, the liquids weights etc. So I've never had to bother entering weights. Just a thought!

Thank you all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Liazard

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2016
Reactions: Kenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread