Mods: The thing with the FDA being everywhere on the forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

learnincurve

Jun 1, 2016
Derbyshire, UK.
I know I'm new, so this is a neutral observer's opinion thing. I really do like the look of this site and the members seem lovely and I would like to stick around but discussion on the FDA changes is everywhere .

I completely understand why people are upset and I am aware that I have the luxury of posting from a country with a government and medical people encouraging vaping, but there is a sub forum for it. Going into a sub forum like the DIY juice forums and seeing thread after thread (with no mention of the FDA in the title) with people freaking out inside about the FDA, and then reading the same conversation about it over and over again with very little if any, DIY discussion inside is incredibly off-putting.

All of this freaking out in the wrong places is making parts of the site unreadable for international members, and I would not be surprised if established American members are tired of it as well.

Could there please, pretty please be some sort of site wide sticky that says "Discussions on FDA rulings in here with a link to the FDA sub"?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Hmm, since the FDA "regulations" affect ALL areas of Vaping, I don't see what you see as a problem. The UK may be embracing vaping (and these forms, I believe, are based in the UK), and while you may not feel any of this affects you, it does. From wire to cotton, batteries to eliquid, all are being "labeled" as tobacco products, and much of what is in the UK can be tagged the same due to government involvement from the US.

Qew

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2012
Michigan
I have seen nothing but support for those of us in the USA from international members, until now.

This is not all 'freaking out', this is preparing, members helping members to understand what is going on, sharing information and resources. Yes, there is venting, it's healthy to communicate with others that are in the same boat. If it is so very offensive to you, please scroll past it for the time being. I'm sure if you were here in the USA, you would be in the middle of the discussions as well.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The unfortunate thing with the recent FDA ruling is other countries may look at this and do something similar. We already have countries where the government has made vaping totally illegal. The FDA ruling has now made it easier for other countries to point and justify similar laws.

And while the UK appears to be rethinking their stance, the TPD is still in effect. You're not out of the woods yet.

Reactions: sonicbomb

learnincurve

Jun 1, 2016
Derbyshire, UK.
No restrictions on import, our laws just changed to specifically clarify this. We will just do what we usually do and import from china. US juice sellers can still make in the US and export to the UK, the big flavour brands are already calling their products food flavourings and will be able to sell to us without FDA approval.

But that's not the point. If there is a section on the site where this can be discussed and someone clicks on a thread asking for help with starting to make juice and inside it is a discussion on regulations with no actual DIY then it's in the wrong section. Plus the people who really know how to help them understand what the changes will mean will most likely be in the FDA section and not be searching around random other forums.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I think we have enough problems with nannyism impacting the future of vaping. And since the deeming regulations are "intentionally" worded to potentially impact any and all things vaping related, you will please excuse our enthusiasm for this topic showing up everywhere on the forum, since deeming impacts the very point of the existence of this forum as well.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Quite natural and expected that members have the regs constantly at the forefront of their minds and will express concern at any given moment if it crops up in a thread. I say let them vent here rather than at home or work. Having a FDA gripes corner is just unrealistic given the scope of the situation.

Reactions: Katdarling

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan

And while the UK appears to be rethinking their stance, the TPD is still in effect. You're not out of the woods yet.

Lord Callanan's 'fatal motion' is dead.

Seems he's gotten tremendous pressure. Apparantly also from an anti-tobacco group heavily dependent on BP/BT backdoor funding.

Cuz the rub is that a fatal motion would toss the whole TPD2. Means cutting slack to vaping AND tobacco products.
Unfortunately there appears to be no way to be selective about that.

If UK stays in the EU, they'll have to deal with the crap laid down in the TPD2 as well. But any law or reg is only as good as its enforcement. And they've hinted that they will - in regards to vaping - tread as lightly as Bruessels lets them get away with.

The TPD2 is nowhere near as bad as the FDA regs , but that won't keep other member states from gold-plating it.

Pencilpushers and paperclipcounters all over the EU are currently busying themselves with such earthshaking details as latch sizes for the packaging, allowable type fonts for the label and all the other oh-so essential details.

Those who follow the developments on the political front do the same as the vaping community stateside :

Debunk their hogwash on every social medium, petition, write...but stockpile hard- and software.

Reactions: sonicbomb

pappcam

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2015
Canada
There are options in the survey for those outside of the US. Everyone should take the survey.
Really?

survey.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread