Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is your Terra Firma heavy? I had one and at over 12lbs I had to get rid of it. It looked and sounded great though.

My Fodera singlecut is right at 9lbs, but I rarely take that one out of the house.

It's stupid heavy, and the six string version. When I ordered it, Sweetwater had three and I made them ship me the heaviest one. I knew I was going to set it up subcontra (a full octave below standard... or more) and I wanted the mass so all the energy was going stay vibrating that .266 string.

It's a studio bass. No way you'd want to play it live. Put an Aguilar OPB-3 preamp in it and I love it. Best bass I've owned to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pipeous

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
It's stupid heavy, and the six string version. When I ordered it, Sweetwater had three and I made them ship me the heaviest one. I knew I was going to set it up subcontra (a full octave below standard... or more) and I wanted the mass so all the energy was going stay vibrating that .266 string.

It's a studio bass. No way you'd want to play it live. Put an Aguilar OPB-3 preamp in it and I love it. Best bass I've owned to date.
I just can't do 6ers or I would have kept mine. It was heavy as hell but the stock PU and pre were actually pretty good on a gig. Be amazing with a full Aggie or Nordy setup though.

I am a 5er guy and can do B-G or E-C but B-C just screws me up!

Full octave below is crazy though. .266 string must be a pound on its own! :eek:

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
How was everyone's weekend? I spent about 4 hours over the last 48 goofing around on my upright (my kid loves to hang out and listen to me play). I've hit a couple light bulb moments recently on it... I think by summer I might even be ready to bring it out to play with others.

I lost the file system on my recording PC again a few weeks back and have been too disgusted with it all to go back and fix it... I either need a new SSD, new motherboard, or new power supply, or all of the above. I did just upgrade to a quad core i7 laptop with 24gb of ram... so maybe I'll just grab a cheap USB interface for use with it.

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I feel your pain James. Computers can be such a pain. My laptop is an I7 as well and it gets way more use than my tower (it's amd with a bigger video card). I had to replace the hard drive then it started overheating. The thermal paste was gone.... well in the last day it has shut down for no reason twice and I have just recently formatted and re installed. Glad I did a complete back up a week ago...

I learned using external hard drives for audio storage in recording apps is actually much better. Leaves the main hard drive to work the operating system and such.

I saw a guy at the market yesterday with a stand up bass. poor soul. I used my octave mandolin case for tips and after an hour I had to put that instrument in my van. everything was getting wet LOL. I'd be in fear of bringing a stand up bass out. he was using it as a bass drum while playing guitar... odd that

James Hart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2010
toms_river.nj.us
www.myselfalone.com
I had just replaced the cooling fans and thermal paste in my old laptop and my wife's current one... I pulled the drive out of my old one (core2duo with 4gb of ram) and put my mother-in-law's hard drive in it... after 2 reboots windows was okay with itself. Her last laptop was my previous hand me down, so I gave her an upgrade too. my MIL had a D830, now an E5500... I have a new used M4700, the wife is still running her E6500... all Dell laptops

My tower is made from hand me down and new parts, the powersupply is new but under sized for what I ended up with in the case, the CPU fan / heatsink was failing (over heated a couple times on me) so I put a real nice Noctua cooler & fan on it, the boot drive is a brand new Crucial 256gb SSD... but twice now it has lost it's OS and I've had to repair it. So I need to decide if the solid state drive is not getting the juice it needs to keep its integrity or if the overheating caused a board failure that is corrupting the drive... or if the drive itself is the issue. It is an 8 core AMD with 20gb of ram in a Fractal Design R4 case running 3 monitors, a pair of wide screen 24" and a regular aspect ratio 24" Touchscreen.

I've been doing this too long to be farting around with 'maybe' hardware again. One of these days I will put a few bucks aside and get it running proper, I've got too much other stuff on my plate eating up funds.

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
Jimmie Vauhan build.jpg
Just finished putting together this all Fender partscaster for just two months worth of smoke money! heh after two and a half years I could find a new excuse for spending money! :)

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
How was everyone's weekend? I spent about 4 hours over the last 48 goofing around on my upright (my kid loves to hang out and listen to me play). I've hit a couple light bulb moments recently on it... I think by summer I might even be ready to bring it out to play with others.

I lost the file system on my recording PC again a few weeks back and have been too disgusted with it all to go back and fix it... I either need a new SSD, new motherboard, or new power supply, or all of the above. I did just upgrade to a quad core i7 laptop with 24gb of ram... so maybe I'll just grab a cheap USB interface for use with it.
It gave up on the upright after a week. I love fretless, but just can't do the big doghouse!

I've been busy learning new tunes for the new band. Nice when you join a band and when they say "we book lots of gigs" they aren't full of cr@p. We have been playing out every week at busy local venues. Lots of fun!

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I have gotten kind of lazy for 2 weeks. I have been writing but falling behind in the recording. I did put together the basis of 3 new songs. I was tinkering around with the mandola chord book to play some non standard chords. It gives me new ideas and melody lines. Since I added a 128gb card to my phone, I record with that to keep ideas. Can't tell you how many ideas I have lost because I didn't record something. The phone is always handy and I have a video of the chords I played so I don't have to figure that out too. Some ideas sit for a long time. I look at my old music scribble book and scratch my head at some of the doodbles or notes I made.... ummm what the heck did I mean by that?

So the guy making my new archtop octave mandolin contacted me. they put a bid in on a house on the island and have to sell theirs. it's all happening fast. I trust him anyway. his wife is a great musician and school teacher. but it does delay the build. I am doing this whole cd with the gold tone mandola, octave mandolin and banjo. the mandolin is now being done on the dobro mostly, or the godin (sometimes I mix the 2). I traded the F style for a guitar. I have 2 guys coming over this sunday to lay some tracks down. A drummer and lead guitarist. I am liking drumming but I find it tough to play a complete song without a mistake lol. I think I spend more time practicing the song and doing retakes than I do all other instruments combined

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I can relate James. I don't play bass often. That's why I bought that Gold Tone M Bass with rubber strings.... though it is odd to use baby powder before you play.... I recorded a part this week with it and could hear the squeeks while playing because I didn't use powder hehe

I have only jammed on one stand up at the music store for a couple minutes and my hands were feeling it

Reactions: James Hart

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
I just booked one of those gigs that make you proud to be a musician... I am performing a song a guy wrote for his girlfriend. We are setting up in a park in Vancouver. While I am playing the song, he is going to propose to her. I am going to even offer a deal on my services because it's just something I am so happy to be involved in. I will set up my camera and get a video ;)

Oberon75

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2014
Roseville, Mi, USA
I used to play years ago and sold all my gear because I cut my wrist open at an old job and severed a tendon. It took a very long time to heal and at the time I wasn't even sure I would be able to play again. It took like 15 years to come back to it but here I am.

Here's my rig. 2011 EVH Wolfgang Special through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

add8ef91b907033e3ff07dbd123b18f7.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

That's a sweet looking rig!!!

I used to play years ago and sold all my gear because I cut my wrist open at an old job and severed a tendon. It took a very long time to heal and at the time I wasn't even sure I would be able to play again. It took like 15 years to come back to it but here I am.

Here's my rig. 2011 EVH Wolfgang Special through my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

add8ef91b907033e3ff07dbd123b18f7.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Guys, thanks for keeping the thread going. I've been spending way too much time in the DIY threads since I started making my own juice about 7 or 8 months ago.

We've been having trouble keeping a bass player since our regular bass player (10 years with us) decided that playing was taking up too much of his motorcycle time. That, and he got married a couple of years ago!

Our female leader is going to spend some time with a non-player who wants to learn bass. He's certainly intelligent (machinist) and desire is half the battle.

For a long time it was drummers who came and went for various reasons. It's easier to cover bass on keyboards than to cover drums.

All of us are volunteers who do it at church because we love it, and it's hard to keep members without a paycheck. But, we persevere and the music continues ...

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
Any of you folks tried out the Spider capo? Been using it for a month or so and I'm finding it pretty amazing. Just about any alt tuning can be had with just a flick of the levers where you want them to fret, no de-tuning and re-tuning. And if you go off the grid as far as the usual open tunings it's just about only limited by your imagination (or luck) in discovering something you're comfortable with. Pretty sweet...

Pipeous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
Surrey, BC, Canada
www.madpro.ca
Hey Dave. The life of modern day bands. I left a band and the guy running it said to me they had gone through 19 members in a year LOL.

Jmur, I saw those capos and was thinking about trying one. I don't play with tunings much because I replace strings fast enough LOL.

Confirmed and booked 40 shows for this year so far, not counting some private gigs (like next week the proposal song thing). I have a bunch of markets still to contact me and the Tuesday night gig I booked 1 a month but she will likely get me 2 or 3. Just lined up a Friday night gig regularly, we are just negotiating price right now

Busking has been working out well too. New thing for me. Lowest was $85 in 4 hrs, so I can handle that. I have enough good busking locations to fill in all the slots I don't book paying gigs... UBC just contacted me about playing at their market on the campus farm... 60 acres

So tomorrow around noon I am heading out for a working vacation. Up to a campground. Dance is Saturday night for 2 hrs, but am also doing campfire sing alongs and one daytime sing along... I get free food and dorm housing for the weekend, plus I can go into any of the activities they have planned. Should be fun... I was just packing up my stuff and took a break, saw an email Jmur had posted so stopped by

Life is awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread