The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaveP, Mar 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pipeous

Pipeous Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    I organized music and stuff for an event yesterday. what a lot of work. I supplied the PA for a Flamenco group that had a dancer. The Chef was doing a cooking demonstration at the other end and I had him hooked up to a wireless lapel mic. We started planning this thing about 3 weeks ago. Turned out pretty good. We got good media coverage. The only video I have is on facebook from a live broadcast first thing in the morning.

Today I played and was asked by a vendor to learn a song. I did Wonderwall. Turns out he is a huge Oasis fan. I only knew the one song... so I just came home a while ago (needed a few beers first LOL)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Just listened to your song. Great job!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pipeous

Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
  4. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jimbodaddy74

jimbodaddy74 Super Member ECF Veteran

Been a busy year of rebuilding the band's PA from the ground up. Including the trailer to haul it in, I'm in it around $7k. All but three components are brand new.

Six 15" powered mains
    Four 12" powered monitors
    Two 18" powered subs
    A 16 channel Yamaha mixer
    A 12 channel Alesis rack mount mixer for the drum mix
    A vintage 24 channel Soundcdraft mixer
    A few different EQ's
    Rolling rack case
    Too many cables

My wife decided that she wanted a movie projector, so we got that and a 10' screen that we hang from a lighting truss to watch movies in the back yard.

I knew Gear Acquisition Syndrome would kick in, so to keep it at bay, my trailer is a 4x6 enclosed trailer. Can't fit any more into it now. It all pulls quite nicely behind the Ford Edge I just picked up on Sunday, since my old Subaru Outback was just not quite enough to pull it over the mountains to the coast.

Is there a 12 step program for this?

• Like Like x 2
  6. jim_87

jim_87 Resident Forum Lurker ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 22, 2018
    USA
    Unfortunately there is no 12 step program for this. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Pipeous

Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Ya but this was by a recommendation. I spoke to her on messenger for about 15 mins. I wrote the lyrics in 10 mins and sent them. She loved the lyrics. so I recorded a country song but she wanted faster more upbeat. I find out she has an electric guitar into rock. So I did this song. total time spent was about 2 hrs start to finish

Jimbo, you have it bad my friend. That's a helluva lot of gear. I actually sold some stuff. My little Bose S1's are all I will need for sometime

8. Susaz

Susaz Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I'm a barely decent guitar and piano player. Back in the 70s my father enrolled me in the conservatory. Here the first 5 years are music theory and basic instrument (you choose piano or guitar). When you reach your 5th year you choose to be a instrument player or a teacher, and both go different ways. I had played cello for quite some time so I went to the instrument side of the conservatory. By the time the 8th year rolled by, I was already into college. The plan with one of my mates, a violinist, was to find ourselves a cozy little orchestra for the rest of our lives. But it didn't turn out that well. I went on to study engineering, and my pal became an economist. One day, Jorge's cousin was starting a band and he called on his cousin. And so the Autenticos Decadentes began. Although I'm not part of the band I'm part of their lives, offering advice and composition and arrangement tips. I do play keyboard, guitar and cello every now and again, but it's more a hobby than a reality. Here's my favorite song of them, hope you like it!

• Like Like x 2
  9. jimbodaddy74

jimbodaddy74 Super Member ECF Veteran

Now people are just giving me stuff. Just got a Peavey Triple X 2x12 combo. She's definitely got some gravity in her, but she sure cooks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Pipeous

Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    So much for cutting back. tomorrow is gig 115 for the year. I was supposed to go to a jam tomorrow night but I was given tickets to the football game tomorrow night... so that's the plan...

anyway, I love trying tech type stuff. my 339 had tuning issues (much like my Godin 5th ave). I wish I knew about this thing called a string butler before I dumped the 5th ave... works like a charm. my 339 has become my gigging guitar for a while now

• Like Like x 2
  11. jmur

jmur Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Connecticut
    A bit back I posted about running into a brick wall and not being able to come up with anything. You guys gave some good suggestions and thoughts. But I couldn't get out of that funk.
    Then it dawned on me what my problem was. I had tuned both the electrics and acoustics to open tunings, cause I've always loved that whole experimentation idea. But...it was leading me nowhere. Some nice sounds, yeah, but nothing I could write or work with. So I went back to standard and apparently my problem got solved. I've been playing ten times more than I was, and coming up with new things, and at the same time "rediscovering" finger picking again. I'm lovin it!
    I did change things a bit though. My Washburn acoustic which I love has possibly got a slight bridge problem, pulling away a bit. So I wanted to reduce tension and stress. Set it up just a semitone lower, Eb or D# and I'm really enjoying playing in that, and a bit more comfortable with the bridge tension. I'm really liking this and coming up with some different things that I'm pretty happy with.
    Thanks for listening to my ramblings guys...

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pipeous

Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    if your bridge is lifting, seriously have a look at the power pins. it will improve the instrument and solve that problem

• Like Like x 1
  13. jmur

jmur Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have to admit I was completely unaware of these! Just looked into them. Even if it didn't help my lifting bridge, it sure would make changing strings on all of them much easier. Thanks!

14. Pipeous

Jan 22, 2011
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Cheers. Well the bolt right through the bridge. I have them on both my acoustics. I hate those plastic pins. And catching the ball on the wood?

I used to play around with different tunings but I haven't for years. I was playing some slide tuning and then started finger picking and mamma I'm coming home popped out... oh that's how he does that LOL

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.