MVP 3.0 - High Pitched Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

TikPandora

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Platte NE, USA
Hello everyone. I just got my new MVP 3.0 today and am absolutely in love with it. I do have a bit of a question though. I just noticed a few minutes ago that when I press the fire button, it begins to make a quiet rather high-pitched noise. It's hardly noticeable, but definitely there. Is this normal, does anyone else with an MVP 3.0 have this occur?

blacksmithpro

Aug 20, 2010
London, UK
I wouldn't be concerned about where you bought it and as I have not heard of any "fake" MVP3s on the market anywhere, you should be fine contacting Innokin directly to inquire about what might be wrong with it. If the device is making this sound without an atty/tank on it at the time there something is wrong sure, what it is, I could not tell you unless it is something no one else hears, in which case you simply have incredibly sensitive hearing to a particular frequency (rare but not unheard of).
While most of us discourage purchasing any ecig gear through ebay since it is in breach of their policies which haven't changed in this regard in the last 4+yrs since implementation, your having bought it through there shouldn't effect anything if a genuine Innokin product. There may be some warranty information in the box to look to but regardless, there will be serial number to reference in communication with them on the packaging or documentation it came with. Contact Innokin about this and give them the details, you're within warranty if you only just got this, they come with a 90 day warranty by manufacturer, not the vendor that sold it so you should be fine.
Let us know how you get on and what they say :)

TikPandora

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Platte NE, USA
It doesn't happen without an atomizer on it, just when firing the atomizer. I actually work at a vape shop, so I will probably test it on the display we have there tomorrow. The thing is everything works fine on it, so I guess I'll probably wait until tomorrow to see if I can replicate it. If it's just something the device does, I'll just vape it and be on my way, but if it's just mine that does it I will definitely be contacting Innokin...which definitely doesn't seem like a fun or fast process.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
I've had voltage regulators hum in other situations. Never caused any problems, so I don't think think this would either. A quick Google search found a bunch of itaste and other brands buzzing, and the buzzing changed at different voltages. So I'd assume that it's just that. But you could email them anyways. If it was the battery shorting out, you'd know. It would be getting hot quick. I had a battery short in my mod and it melted the firing button housing in a few seconds.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
I wonder if it's the "rattlesnake" sound that Pbusardo's always referring to when a device has PWM for step-down. Seems like the lower the frequency, the more noticeable it can be, and whenever it's down around 30Hz he's always like "yeah, if you're one of those people who can hear it, you're definitely going to hear it with this one." I don't remember what he said about the MVP 3 but I do know he did a review on it so you might look that up and check out the "numbers" portion of the video.

[Edit: Just re-watched the video, and the MVP3 actually has proper step-down, it doesn't use PWM so I guess that isn't actually what's going on here...]

Last edited:

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
You're hearing is probably more sensitive in that particular frequency range. Most regulated mods I own emit some sort of noise, ranging from the faint, high-pitched squeal as you're hearing, all the way to the 'rattlesnake' sound from the coil as they switch on and off.

I would not be at all concerned unless the sound would seem to suddenly change in frequency or volume. And, as stated above, the volume may vary depending on your power level.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
VV/VW units in some cases use PWM to create the different voltages, the Pulse can be anywhere from 33Hz to 880Hz on average. I can "hear" my SVD when I place my teeth on the driptip while pushing the fire button... since the SVD and MVP are made by the same company.... most likely have the same board...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread