Need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
steamengine has all kinds of settings you can input showing you the resistance of your build before you even build it. Best to test new coils on an ohm meter- I like my 521 Tab. Could be your mod isnt able to support that low of a build. Energy flows more freely through nichrome so more wraps or smaller diameter wire is required to build the same resistance as kanthal. Hope this helps.

Sep 23, 2016
steamengine has all kinds of settings you can input showing you the resistance of your build before you even build it. Best to test new coils on an ohm meter- I like my 521 Tab. Could be your mod isnt able to support that low of a build. Energy flows more freely through nichrome so more wraps or smaller diameter wire is required to build the same resistance as kanthal. Hope this helps.
Steam engine is that an app? And I need to get a battery for my reader lol and it dies thank you for responding

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
It's coming out too low because you haven't fired the hot spots out yet. I usually have 10 wraps or more of 22/34 reading 0.06 ohm before I get the hotspots out. Basicly the resistance is only on the legs and the rest of the coil is bypassed...no idea why. I just keep squeezing, twisting, scraping and firing till finally it hits 0.1 and then it will glow all on one side and as it heats up it works it's way to the other side.

If you still can't do it, start heating the coil up in the middle with a butane torch till it's red and then fire it.

Try n80 for the core and 316l or A1 for the wrap if that doesn't work. But then you won't have all those pretty colors.

Sep 23, 2016
It's coming out too low because you haven't fired the hot spots out yet. I usually have 10 wraps or more of 22/34 reading 0.06 ohm before I get the hotspots out. Basicly the resistance is only on the legs and the rest of the coil is bypassed...no idea why. I just keep squeezing, twisting, scraping and firing till finally it hits 0.1 and then it will glow all on one side and as it heats up it works it's way to the other side.
Try n80 for the core and 316l or A1 for the wrap if that doesn't work.
Oh wow awesome sounds like my problems lol I need to do more wraps it sounds like as well

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Oh, I thought you were making clapton. This should be easy then.
The Fuchai 213 is what I use just for this...for some reason it will temporarily fire a 0.08 coil. That's the only reason I haven't traded it for a sandwich.

If you have an unregulated mod and you feel safe enough you can try with that but I'd use it as a last resort.

What gauge n80 are you using? You can eliminate most of the problem with spaced coils so the power has no choice but to go through the coil.

I built my Griffin 25 and even aromamizer with fused 26 n80 and they have some small decks so you should be able to get enough wire in most any atty to make n80 work.

As I understand it -

As you heat the coil, a layer of insulating oxide forms on the outside of the wire. This stops the electricity from taking a shorter path across any given loop where it makes contact with another. There will be points of contact initially that are snug enough to prevent this oxidization process, causing shorts. Strumming or tapping the coil disturbs these unwanted points of contact enough for oxidization to occur there too, allowing an uninterupted flow of current down the length of the wire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread