nichrome 80 wicking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Hey everybody I've been using organic cotton (the balls from Walgreen) and kanthal for over a year now and before that I was exclusively on SS genisis builds with kanthal. I just got some 24g nichrome 80 the other day and I really like it when it is freshly dripped but I find that I'm getting cotton-tasting hits when the cotton still looks wet and with kanthal I can vape until the cotton looks dry before I taste the dryness/heat. I've tried multiple resistances from .2 to .6 all on my nemisis(it's the only mod I've used at all since last January) and I've tried more and less cotton than my old standard and I keep getting the same result.

Does anyone know any tips or tricks to get my wicks to behave the same with nichrome as they did with kanthal? Or is this just the nature of the beast with nichrome 80 and should just get used to dripping more frequently?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well, I'm just gonna take a shot in the dark here, as far as what you've thought of and what you haven't .. . . . just on the odd chance that it would be of any use to you. So, you know that Nichrome has lower resistance per wire gauge, right? So, like 26 N. = 25 Kanthal (and that's N60; N80 is a bit lower still). This also means that you are using less thickness (wire mass, diameter of wire) to achieve the same resistance. So, let's say you have all your ducks in a row, and you know all that, or you're metering accurately and building to a specific resistance. Buuuut a .3Ω Nichrome 80 coil is going to have less metal in it than a .3Ω Kanthal coil; so there's less metal to heat, so it'll heat faster. So if it's heating faster, it's cooking juice faster and drying wicks faster. It's a noticeable difference with heat up time. IMHO, a 26g Nichrome 60 coil is like a firecracker compared to a 25g Kanthal coil (which is more like grampa's steam heat radiator for kick).

so, just for fun, if you pull one of those wet wicks (after a toot or two) from out of it's coil, I'm guessing the section that was inside the coil is going to look dry (or drier) compared to one pulled from a Kanthal coil. I'm guessing that slight increase in efficiency is just putting you across the line to insufficient wicking. At the lower sub.s, a tiny shift can make just the difference. The solution, I should think would be either in increasing your coil ID by just a hair (0.1-0.2mm) or in thinning your wicks just a tiny bit. Although the slight increase in coil ID is a surefire solution and the wick thinning is relative (you may be as thin as you can go already).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread