need serious help with finding e-liquids (menthol vaper here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheilita

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Portugal
hello everyone
I've been vaping for around 5 years(mtl/12W+-) and always with the same e-liquid;Fresh menthol 80pg from a french company, with which I'm really satisfied, but as i see all the people around having fun with so many brands and flavors, I'd really like to diversify,
but i can't manage to find other tastes that i like; they all feel 'heavy' and not pleasant(harsh vapor), make me cough a bit and hiccup and also gives me a bit of a head heck.
and i don't like their taste either.

i always buy from reputable companies.

to give an example: i got the 'five pawns' insigna series, and most of them were horrible for me,
the only ones that i could bare were the chocolate mint(but it lacked of mint for my taste)and the orange vanilla which IMO would have benefited from more orange(and freshness).

at first i thought it the vg/pg ratio,but then i got a few 60-70 pg fruit juices and still the same unpleasant experience,so i think i should concentrate on liquids with menthol in them.
that's what i gathered.

i would love to hear what you think about it(maybe persons with similar experience)and what liquids do you suggest.
Hi, maybe you could try: Halo Tribeca and you could add some Halo Sub Zero.
I tried a lot of flavours from a lot of different brands and I didn't liked them. But every time I still loved Tribeca. So I decided to stop searching for a better one. But (a lot of but here...) I also wanted a strong menthol, so that I can change. And for me it prevent to have a vaper tong (I think it is called that?). Tried a couple of Halo menthol liquids and the Sub Zero I found the best. Long story short... Maybe you could try the Tribeca :thumb:

RadiusNick

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2017
Hi, maybe you could try: Halo Tribeca and you could add some Halo Sub Zero.
I tried a lot of flavours from a lot of different brands and I didn't liked them. But every time I still loved Tribeca. So I decided to stop searching for a better one. But (a lot of but here...) I also wanted a strong menthol, so that I can change. And for me it prevent to have a vaper tong (I think it is called that?). Tried a couple of Halo menthol liquids and the Sub Zero I found the best. Long story short... Maybe you could try the Tribeca :thumb:
thanks for answering after all this time since i posted this thread,
it's funny because just today i received some vape mail with e-liquids and one of them is the Halo Tribeca i bought to taste. :)
most of the others are the menthol i like and vape them for many years,
so as soon as i build a new coil i'll try the tribeca.
Thanks again.

ps.this is the menthol i vape if you'd like to try it, it's a french company and you can find it in one of those two stores i buy from:
D'lice menthe fraiche

index.jpg

Menthe Fraiche - Dlice
D'lice Fresh Mint

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Sheilita

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Portugal
thanks for answering after all this time since the i posted this thread,
it's funny because just today i received some vape mail with e-liquids and one of them is the Halo Tribeca i bought to taste. :)
most of the others are the menthol i like and vape them for many years,
so as soon as i build a new coil i'll try the tribeca.
Thanks again.

ps.this is the menthol i vape if you'd like to try it, it's a french company and you can find it in one of those two stores i buy from:
D'lice menthe fraiche

View attachment 676237
Menthe Fraiche - Dlice
D'lice Fresh Mint
That is funny that you received the Tribeca today:thumbs:
I am very curious if you like it. Could you let me know after you tried it?:D
Thank you for the menthol tip! For sure I would love to try it, definitely when it comes from a real Menthol lover

RadiusNick

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2017
Menthol lovers might want to try
BLUE RASPBERRY ICE BY JUICE ROLL UPZ E-LIQUID ICE
They have other flavors also , just make sure it's in the ICE line
I've only ever used the blue raspberry one so I don't know about the others. Menthol is not heavy or overpowering.
looks interesting,
but i didn't get along well with higher vg juices till now,
i'm always vaping at around the 60-80pg.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

RadiusNick

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2017
I discovered natural flavorings and NETs after a year of trying the usual artificial flavors. I found what I was looking for (and missing). I never looked back. It has been over four years now. Try real extracts.
what do you mean by that?
what are NETs?
where can i find it?

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Maybe I'm not understanding something here...it seems to me that you enjoy vaping. You like menthol. You've decided you NEED to expand your flavor horizon to the non-menthol. You're not finding anything that really trips your trigger.

If you really like menthol and it makes you happy, why not just stick to menthol? Nobody says you have to like other flavors.

RadiusNick

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2017
I use these exclusively: Real Tobacco Extracts
I like the tobacco extracts as my everyday but I like the teas they have as well. The fruit/nut/tobacco blends are excellent.
NET = naturally extracted tobacco
There are some others but not many out there to choose from. They are very different than what most vapers are using: They have little odor, no chemical taste, no "vapor tongue" or need to chase constantly changing flavors. They taste real - not overpowering. Extracts cost more because they are a small batch artisan product made from botanicals. The extra cost is worth it to me though.
wow this looks great,
i didn't know there was a whole market of these.
well i intended on ordering from Blacknote,as soon as they make some kind of promotion, but tea and fruits,that's new to me.(what do you think of blacknotes juices?)
thinking of it, there' a french brand called Vaponaute and they have a line called botanics,but i didn't really look into it since they make their liquids 70vg.
i'd be more than happy replacing those chemicals with natural stuff .

-do you have any specific recommendation of what liquds i should start with at the site you mentioned?
also i see they have sample packs.
-do you know of other sites/brands doing the same thing?

Maybe I'm not understanding something here...it seems to me that you enjoy vaping. You like menthol. You've decided you NEED to expand your flavor horizon to the non-menthol. You're not finding anything that really trips your trigger.

If you really like menthol and it makes you happy, why not just stick to menthol? Nobody says you have to like other flavors.
-there is such a variety of flavors,so why not take advantage of it.
every one seems so happy with all their juices and it's enviable.
-sometimes the menthol becomes a bit harsh,so a smoother tasteful vape would be nice.
-also it seems like a waste to have all these tanks and mods just for one flavor.

i could go on with the menthol,which i'll probably do and i got no issue with it,
like i didn't have an issue smoking the same cigarette for like 20 years,
but the same way i diversify my food and drinks, i'd like to be able to do with e-liquids,
if not,then it becomes a bit boring and less appreciated. (when coming back to the menthol after a break,i really re-discover all its flavor, but when chain vaping it, it becomes a bit dull/tasteless.)

Last edited:

moza2k0

Unresolved Status
Aug 4, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
Hey, actually you know what I'm having the same issues you are. I vaped peppermint/menthol for roughly the same amount of time. I have just very recently started to explore other flavors and I am attempting to DIY. I am also not finding that I like anything enough to call it an "all day vape".

Personally, for me I think it has to do with my expectations? Like I'm used to POW there is MINT IN YO FACE VAPE IT.... And everything else is kind of... oooh lala I'm a subtle twinge of gobbleberry-yum butter with a creamy cocoa sugar exhale ..but the effect only keeps my interest for like five minutes before it just tastes like.. some stuff and a hint of other stuff.

We should join forces and figure this out.

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
Okay so I thought about it some.. here are my thoughts / suggestions at the current moment.

I'm looking at blends that contain mints and menthols and other cold flavors.. like a marriage or a transition, sorta.. It seems less jarring to me, if I can still get that ...you know, freshness.

TFA Koolada. This stuff is "cold" without "mint" - I actually think this stuff is GREAT. It makes stuff just.. it gives you that brrrr fresh like ice water but it doesn't have any mint flavor at all.. I can put up to 30 drops in 10ml of juice and it really gives it something. It's hard to explain the effect. It's not expensive either. (I go to Bull City Flavors to buy these kinds of things.)

Koolada goes in like just about anything that "seems like it should be cold"
It's good in fruits.. Frozen berries.. frozen drinks.. frozen ice cream..

I'd recommend picking up a bottle of this and some empty 10ml bottles at least, and try adding it to "things that could be cold" to see if it tickles your tongue while still giving you the broader flavors.

ALSO.. I do seem to like certain sherbert.. tangy flavors.. I have recently tried Vape Wilds Sherbinator.. and it's not too bad. There is a slight "sour" taste like a candy.. like think tangy citrus. It's not super pronounced but it does leave something... just something. I know not what it is yet.. It's GREAT with Koolada dripped in it too :)

Also.. if you are looking at DIY or you do, I'm kind of dabbling in the frozen slush department right now. So I'll report back if anything seems to be really working out for me.

I also tend to believe cinnamon might have the same kind of "power".. but I'm a little intimidated by cinnamon. So I'm not gonna do that yet.

Last edited:

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
Okay.. uh. I have something else to add! That might clarify a bit more. This subject is close to my heart if you couldn't tell.. ('~_~)

Something we might want to consider when selecting flavors.. is that like... vaping and eating are different in how we "taste" the stuff. With vaping it's mostly all smell.. you don't get a lot of the "tongue" in there.. Vape tongue as I understand is kind of like your nose getting used to the smell of gym socks, so you don't smell them until you leave the gym and shower and wake up the next day like my god my gym bag smells like a ....!

This is why.. like okay, for example.. "sour" is not easy to achieve for a taste in a vape.

The stuff that makes things taste sour are well, they all seem to be acids. Malic. Citric. Tartaric.. etc. But the issue is that they don't land on your tongue very effectively.

It's difficult to achieve a true sour flavor for that reason. We don't really "smell" the taste of sour, so much as we "feel" it on our tongue. It has to be carried there and actually touch the palette.

Sweeteners DO touch the palette.. (tongue ..whatever) that's why sweeteners in vapes are very impactful. They "coat" your mouth. ("sugar lips" --you'll see that reference a lot.)

With mint/menthol (and cinnamon too I suspect) we are getting a "mouth" thing happening that a lot of flavors don't really match.. It's the "cold" feeling. (like cinnamon would probably have "heat") So this adds a certain strength to the taste that we perceive, which maybe makes it feel more "real". Sweet hot and cold seem to be the taste profiles that have the most oomph, and I am guessing that may be why.

This is how I'm interpreting it based on what reading and videos I've watched. So! It's something to consider, overall, when you're exploring.

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
for me the menthol also passes smoothly through the throat,
other ones feel harsh (grainy?), gives me hiccups and a head-heck.

I've been questing after answers to combat the "harsh" vibe I seem to get off certain flavors/liquids. It's a lot of trial and error but I am of the understanding that nicotine bases can impart a very rough taste. There are some "cleaner" base nicotines available that I'm trying to get my hands on.

I tested a couple drops of vape wilds nicotine base and discovered that it does in fact have a "harsh bite" to it on it's own. It's peppery, and it's messing with the way the juice tastes.

I just ordered from Nude Nicotine, which has good reviews for being a "clean" base that's very smooth and doesn't have peppery tastes to it. However the shipping is SLOW and IDK what even is going on with it. But I'll let you know how it works out!

Oh. Actually what strength do you vape at? That can make a huge difference. I've learned that I can tolerate a lower concentration of nicotine than what I had been vaping, and my throat is much happier about it. Flavors taste better, I don't get as much of a punched feeling but it's still very satisfying.

It seems like I was just.. Ready? To step down a notch.

If you're vaping higher than 6mg juice you might consider trying a lower concentration in a small sample, to see if you still enjoy it. Like if you do 12mg try a bottle of 6mg etc.

RadiusNick

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2017
I've been questing after answers to combat the "harsh" vibe I seem to get off certain flavors/liquids. It's a lot of trial and error but I am of the understanding that nicotine bases can impart a very rough taste. There are some "cleaner" base nicotines available that I'm trying to get my hands on.

I tested a couple drops of vape wilds nicotine base and discovered that it does in fact have a "harsh bite" to it on it's own. It's peppery, and it's messing with the way the juice tastes.

I just ordered from Nude Nicotine, which has good reviews for being a "clean" base that's very smooth and doesn't have peppery tastes to it. However the shipping is SLOW and IDK what even is going on with it. But I'll let you know how it works out!

Oh. Actually what strength do you vape at? That can make a huge difference. I've learned that I can tolerate a lower concentration of nicotine than what I had been vaping, and my throat is much happier about it. Flavors taste better, I don't get as much of a punched feeling but it's still very satisfying.

It seems like I was just.. Ready? To step down a notch.

If you're vaping higher than 6mg juice you might consider trying a lower concentration in a small sample, to see if you still enjoy it. Like if you do 12mg try a bottle of 6mg etc.
6mg nicotine.
i was sent once by mistake 3mg,but it wasn't satisfying.

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
6mg nicotine.
i was sent once by mistake 3mg,but it wasn't satisfying.

Okay that's the same as me too lol. Except I personally seem to get on just fine with 3mg. But everyone is different!

If you are considering DIY, once I finally get my nic base in (Nude Nicotine is mega delayed apparently..) I'll share any recipes that seem decent.

I do think you should try the koolada trick though at the very least, since it -is- menthol, but with the taste removed through science magic! It's very brilliant, I can't rave about it enough. And a 10ml bottle is only like two dollah.

From my perspective for reference:
30 drops in 10ml = strong level of cold (*brrr* like an ice cube)
15-20 drops in 10ml = regular level of cold (*ahhhh* like cold water)
Anything less is just "refreshing" to some degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread