Never thought I'd start a thread like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
So because my work is holding nicotine users hostage to the tune of $50/month...
I have now been off nicotine for 8 weeks as of tomorrow.

I never wanted to stop using nicotine, and I'm certainly not happy about it.
And I'm going to go back on nicotine as soon as I can.

(this can only happen if I retire soon, or if a lot of other people get fired)

In the meantime, I hope I don't start getting Alzheimer's or Parkinson's.

Anyway, every now and then I've seen some of you note that you're down to zero nicotine.
So I was just wondering how many of you have taken the leap?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Did not.........and will not. Still not understanding why your Provider, or likely>Employer is doing this.
Worked for Staples and had Cigna, until disability Retirement. Never had the issue.

Did you ever verify, the charge was dictated by the actual insurance policy? <Nicotine specific>

No insurance now, but hopefully will get Ins. through State due to condition an inability to produce income.:(

Cigna said I could continue the Policy I had - increase to > $1198 month:shock:

Reactions: Nermal

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
These days what I've been doing is I mix a 100ml bottle of with 10% bottled water, and that is my base liquid, and while I am home I might add 10 to 20 drops of that to my 3d rda, then add 1 drop of eliquid (anywhere from 15mg to 24mg depending on the bottle).
But when I go to work, I just take the base liquid with me.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Did not.........and will not. Still not understanding why your Provider, or likely>Employer is doing this.
Worked for Staples and had Cigna, until disability Retirement. Never had the issue.
Hmmmmm...

That is interesting, because we have Cigna.
I wish I was in a position to ruffle some feathers about this.

Reactions: EBates

ashes to batteries

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2015
I'm not down to zero nic but...I work in insurance doing medical data compilation and more and more companies are screening for nicotine use, even and especially ecig, for life and health insurance. They will check your labs for nicotine. You can face severe consequences by accepting a policy as no nicotine and then later being found to have nicotine in your system. In some States, lying on an application is a crime. In the case of life insurance, death benefits can be denied even if the death was unrelated.

So please think long and hard about this. If you plan to go back to nicotine just pay the extra premium.

Reactions: DC2

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Interesting thread, I have lowered myself to 3-6mg, and use 0mg DIY chamomile liquid after midnight. I do find Ive been getting a bit more sleep. I do have real problems with insomnia. I also switch to a good non-chemical decaf coffee after midnight too.

I think many these days feel the need to demonize anything that society or whatever dictates. "dont let addictions rule your life" usually they are trying to get you to stop smoking , sugary foods/ drinks, etc.

All the ads on TV for addiction treatments etc. Not all addictions are evil or bad. Im addicted to good TV/ films. Im addicted to my cats, sons and caring for others.

Smoking was not so much for the buzz or cool factor for me, it was the "act" of smoking. That time that I smoked was MY TIME. An escape from everything for those few minutes.

Vaping gives me that same sense of my time, relaxation, or time out. I dont NEED it anymore. I just like it.
It helps me let go and relax or helps me when I get stressed. If I could not have nic anymore ( banned/ or health ) I could easily do it. But if it was outlawed with fear of jail to have nic, I could do without, just give me my "cloud making" device and I would be happy.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Nicotine Tests | Cigna

If you no longer smoke but are using a quit-smoking aid like gum or a patch, your test result may be positive. But you may be able to get another test that can show that you are using quit-smoking aids and not tobacco.

When you stop using nicotine, it can take more than 2 weeks for the levels of nicotine and cotinine in your blood to drop. It takes a few more weeks than that for the levels in your urine to drop.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If you no longer smoke but are using a quit-smoking aid like gum or a patch, your test result may be positive. But you may be able to get another test that can show that you are using quit-smoking aids and not tobacco.
Wow, that's very interesting, thanks for posting that.
Now I REALLY wish I was in a position to ruffle some feathers over this.

But due to a peculiar set of circumstances I am in, I can't be rocking any boats at this time.
:(
It takes a few more weeks than that for the levels in your urine to drop.
Also interesting...

It took about two weeks for my urine tests to stop showing nicotine...
Cotinine testing - Day three of zero nicotine

But I was only going through about 1.5ml per day of 12mg liquid.

NOVA jon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2014
Northern virginia
Well, now I'm going to have to do a little research. I've actually just gone back to 6mg from about a year of staying at 3mg! I've found I'm more quickly satiated with 6mg and don't go thru nearly as much eliquid as I have been! It might just be a "hitch I'm my gittyup" but will dropping back to 3mg and then to 0mg in the future. Not sure if my insurance is predicated on nicotine or smoking!!

Even though I've been a heavy smoker, and then a heavy vape user, and I enjoy a nicotine high I've never experienced the cravings that other people get. What I'm addicted to about smoking/vaping is the scratch at the back of my throat and the oral fixation. I'm wanting my vape to hit harsher more than I'm wanting stronger nicotine in my e-juice. What might help is buy two different strengths, 15mg and 24mg nicotine, and when you refill your tank use half one and half of the other. Then gradually taper off.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sad thing is, they claim 2 Billion in Medical cost annually - DUE TO SMOKING - , not nicotine.

Not only that, if a Obese person who Smokes and Crams junk food daily has a heart attack and goes to the hospital.............the heart attack was Smoking related:glare:,
Again, not necessarily nicotine induced.

* Health Insurance does not care about Base jumpers, sky divers, Race car drivers. These are to small a percentage to increase profits.
Nicotine users, Smoke or otherwise Do actually make up a good Percentage of policy holders.

Bottom line - it's just Good business practice to make a Profit.:sneaky:

ashes to batteries

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2015
* Health Insurance does not care about Base jumpers, sky divers, Race car drivers. These are to small a percentage to increase profits.
Nicotine users, Smoke or otherwise Do actually make up a good Percentage of policy holders.

Bottom line - it's just Good business practice to make a Profit.:sneaky:

Not true, my friend. Many of my background interviews ask about and rate for sky diving, scuba diving, rodeo, mountain climbing, racing, piloting, etc....

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Not true, my friend. Many of my background interviews ask about and rate for sky diving, scuba diving, rodeo, mountain climbing, racing, piloting, etc....

Never once saw any of that in an Employer sponsored insurance program, not once.

I have seen the (fine Print) in many, asserting they are not responsible for claims due to XXXX.

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Curious, I wonder if cigna and big pharma has some sort of deal to recoup their losses?

Oh you're gonna vape? guess what you're still paying for the NRT's one way or another...

On topic, I can go no nic whenever I want, I just like it, I'm down to 1.5 drip 3 tank most of the time now.

Plan on leaving my tank at 3 and moving the drip down to 1..

I do vape just vg and 2% distilled water from time to time if I notice I'm vaping too much...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread