Status
Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
EDIT 9/3/2017: Hold off following the directions in this post. FIRST read the posts that follow this one. Better options may be presented. I apologize for any confusion I may have created.:oops:

Yeah, I guess a little more info would be helpful. Running Windows 10, didn't customize the directory and I guess I didn't have automatic backups turned on. I know Windows backups aren't turned on, don't know about any auto backup provided in juice Calculator, if any.
Fair enough. If I recall correctly backups are not "on" by default (you have to turn them on in the options menu; and select frequency).

I guess the place to start is checking to see if your data file is still there.
1. Open Widows File Explorer
2. Enter "JuiceCalculator.xml" in the search box. You should see results that look something like this:
upload_2017-9-3_4-56-38.png

(click on the image above to see full size)
3. JuiceCalculator.xml should be at the top of the list. Note the file path highlighted on the far right. (It is okay if it is not the same as my example; your file structure may not be identical to mine.) The important thing is to know what your path is.
4. It is fine to leave File Explorer open for reference; but you are welcome to minimize it for now.
5. Open the juice calculator program from your desktop the way you normally do.
6. Click on the "Tools" tab, and then on "Options."
upload_2017-9-3_5-12-45.png

7. In the Options window; check the Default Directory:
upload_2017-9-3_5-23-38.png

8. If the path does not match, manually enter the correct path; or use the "Browse" function on the right.

Start with that and let us know what you find. Also, if you haven't already checked it out, there is a very thorough Help document included in the program. Click the Help tab at the top, and then on "Display Help."
upload_2017-9-3_5-39-4.png

I would suggest stating with Introduction>Recipes and Files:
upload_2017-9-3_5-37-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-3_4-24-42.png
    upload_2017-9-3_4-24-42.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
I'm hoping someone can help me...

I opened up Juice Calculator today to find all my file are missing. I can't figure out how to restore them or if that's even a possibility.

Just an FYI-

I connected into an ECF member’s computer to assist her with the same issue.

Turns out that in her case, the file “JuiceCalculator.xml” had gotten renamed to the name of the last recipe she worked on. I think in her case the file name turned out to be “wrigleys spearmint gum.XML”.

So when you do your search for “JuiceCalculator.xml”, be sure to look at the date and names of other .XML files that recently changed. One of those just may be your “JuiceCalculator.xml”.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Good point @jpasint; if the data file has been renamed, my method is going to be useless.

Perhaps a better option might(?) be to:
1. Open File Explorer
2. Double click Documents
3. Double click JuiceCalculator
4. Identify .xml file name (other than possible backup files that may, or may not, also be present).
upload_2017-9-3_15-41-35.png

(click image to expand)
5. Open Juice Calculator program/application
6. Note the active file currently named in the upper left corner of the home window. Mine looks like this:
upload_2017-9-3_15-55-16.png

If the file name in the program, doesn't match the active file name that was found in the JuiceCalculator folder (using File Explorer), then that would explain the loss of recipes and ingredients.

If the names don't match; choose one of the two methods to correct:
Method 1
In File Explorer:
1. Rename active .xml file to match the file name to match the file name found at the top of the Juice Calculator home screen.

OR

Method 2

In the Juice Calculator program:
1. Click on "File" tab
2. Click on "Open"
upload_2017-9-3_16-15-30.png

3. Navigate to the JuiceCalculator folder (in Documents).
4. Click on the active .xml file you identified earlier.
5. File name should appear in bottom "File Name" window.
6. Click on "Open"
upload_2017-9-3_16-33-32.png

7. You should now see the correct active file name on the home screen:
upload_2017-9-3_16-34-0.png

8. Confirm your recipes/ingredients are once again available.

Does that make more sense @jpasint? I welcome any corrections, or suggestions, to make this easier to understand/follow, or correct errors/misinformation. Or, if there is a better way to go about it all together; I am happy to "shut up," and let the "grown-ups" talk;):D. I freely admit that I am neither a programmer, nor even particularly Windows savvy:blush:. All help is greatly appreciated!

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Good point @jpasint; if the data file has been renamed, my method is going to be useless.

Perhaps a better option might(?) be to:
1. Open File Explorer
2. Double click Documents
3. Double click JuiceCalculator
4. Identify .xml file name (other than possible backup files that may, or may not, also be present).
View attachment 683735
(click image to expand)
5. Open Juice Calculator program/application
6. Note the active file currently named in the upper left corner of the home window. Mine looks like this:
View attachment 683747

If the file name in the program, doesn't match the active file name that was found in the JuiceCalculator folder (using File Explorer), then that would explain the loss of recipes and ingredients.

If the names don't match; choose one of the two methods to correct:
Method 1
In File Explorer:
1. Rename active .xml file to match the file name to match the file name found at the top of the Juice Calculator home screen.

OR

Method 2

In the Juice Calculator program:
1. Click on "File" tab
2. Click on "Open"
View attachment 683755
3. Navigate to the JuiceCalculator folder (in Documents).
4. Click on the active .xml file you identified earlier.
5. File name should appear in bottom "File Name" window.
6. Click on "Open"
View attachment 683765
7. You should now see the correct active file name on the home screen:
View attachment 683767
8. Confirm your recipes/ingredients are once again available.

Does that make more sense @jpasint? I welcome any corrections, or suggestions, to make this easier to understand/follow, or correct errors/misinformation. Or, if there is a better way to go about it all together; I am happy to "shut up," and let the "grown-ups" talk;):D. I freely admit that I am neither a programmer, nor even particularly Windows savvy:blush:. All help is greatly appreciated!

You're doing an awesome service to the DIY community here with all of the help you provide for Juice Calculator.
This thread would be lonely without your efforts.

I was simply adding in what I experienced with a user some months back. As usual, you are right on target with your suggestions. Thanks for all that you do here.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You're doing an awesome service to the DIY community here with all of the help you provide for Juice Calculator.
This thread would be lonely without your efforts.

I was simply adding in what I experienced with a user some months back. As usual, you are right on target with your suggestions. Thanks for all that you do here.
Thanks for the kind words.:) I do what I can, because so many others have already helped me; I am only trying to pay it forward. I am truly grateful, and relieved for your input; it was on-topic, timely, and probably saved Tailingred02 some wasted time. Please; always share your own thoughts! This is NOT my thread, and I don't ever mean to monopolize it. I NEVER have all the answers, and I rarely even have the best answer.:D

My request is sincere for corrections, additions, and alternative methods. I feel overwhelmingly under-qualified, to try and answer many of these questions, but I don't want to see those seeking help go unanswered either. I doubt, and second-guess, my responses every step of the way. I have no delusions that I "know everything" about HotRod's program, or that I am not sometimes even completely incorrect. I will gladly welcome every "Wrong!," and "This would be better/easier...," suggestion anyone might have. I want to see people get the help they seek; I don't want to be passing out bad/inaccurate/unhelpful information, no matter how well-intentioned I might be.:oops:

My only "strength," is I have too much time; which allows me to write excessively long-winded posts, that I imagine confuse as often as they help. Every time I am doctoring a screen shot, I find myself humming the melody from Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant Massacree," with this line running through my head: "...and they took twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was..."

I sorely miss HotRod! I am grateful for you, and all the other regulars on this thread, that have helped me understand what this program has to offer, and how to use it. Without the 100+ pages of this thread that preceded my arrival (as well as all that followed), I doubt I would know half of what I think I know about it.

It is only through a combined effort that we all keep this thread alive, and help one another.;):D

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
Hello everyone. I just got a new computer and it came with windows 10. I have been having some issues with the juice calculator since I got the new computer. I keep getting a error and not sure how to fix it. I'm going to post a pic of what happens when I try to save or exit the program. Sometimes it doesn't save new ingredients or recipes either. Also my stuff will disappear and I have to use a back up file to restore it all again Any help will be appreciated. In the pic it shows something about a roaming and I looked in that folder and it doesn't show anything for the juice calculator. I hate Windows 10!!! lol

Attachments

• Juice error.JPG
    Juice error.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 38

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
That is an interesting error. I have the Juice calc running on XP, 7, and 10. Never seen that one. I would try openning the calc and looking through the options menus to see what they say. I would think that the default folder option is misbehaving. It should send the defaults.xml file to the juice calculator folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: IDJoel

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I get that error very often.. For me, it's because I'm saving/syncing the juice file [&directory] with a Google drive share.. It happens when the syncing program I use, Goodsync, is syncing the local changes to the cloud. Just waiting a few seconds before trying again will resolve it and get it saved - with the retry wait time possibly depending on how much you're syncing to the cloud at the time. If you're using something like Goodsync, there should be an option to increase the wait time between a change and syncing those changes - to help mitigate the problem.

As far as why it disappears, I don't know. But for you and the person with the prior problem: keep in mind that the program saves all ingredients and recipes to ONE 'juice' file. I think that point confuses many beginners coming from EjMU, where it's one recipe per physical file.

However, I also backup to a directory (that is also synced to a different Google Drive) religiously - after ANY changes I wouldn't want to lose.. Even if it's only one sentence in the notes. I'll exit specifically for it to write out the backup file. I do the same thing with another database-centric app -- Adobe Lightroom. My juice file is ~4MB, but after every so many backups I compress them - and about a dozen will shrink down solid to only ~120KB, for some massive compression.

Still, you shouldn't be losing any files - unless maybe you're doing an 'end task' to exit it with brute force, then it's possible, but doubtful.
Maybe if you give more details about that part, someone here might be able to help further.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi @ibndevilish,
Bummer that you are having problems! I m not particularly Windows savvy; so I will gladly yield to @Ed Sause, @Hoggy, and everyone else with better understanding. Please give priority to their advise.

With that disclaimer; I do have a few questions I haven't yet seen others ask (I think?):
1. Are you using Juice Calculator's basic (not really sure what to call it) program, or are you running the "portable" version?

2. Do you have multiple instances of the program (more than one window open) running at the same time? (e.g. one instance open for recipe "a," another instance for recipe "b," yet another for recipe "c," etc.; all active at the same time.)

3. Do you have Juice Calculator running, AND Juice Calculator's File Manager (the second program, that installs at the same time as JC, during the initial setup).

I noticed, from the image that you posted, that you appear comfortable going beyond the basic default settings; because you are using an .xml file named "Master File.xml" (which is not the default name). It also makes me think you might have secondary files (as in "not master" files?) as well. Is that correct? Or, am I reading too much into it?
upload_2017-9-4_15-5-3.png

In the pic it shows something about a roaming and I looked in that folder and it doesn't show anything for the juice calculator.
I have no idea what ">AppData>Roaming" is used for; but I looked to see if I had a similar directory/file, and I do:
upload_2017-9-4_15-18-49.png

upload_2017-9-4_15-25-3.png

I have no idea if there is any significance, that I seem to have it, and you (if I am reading you post correctly(?)) do not. Perhaps that will aid someone smarter than me.;)

Now I will sit back and let the grown-ups talk.:D

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
2. Do you have multiple instances of the program (more than one window open) running at the same time? (e.g. one instance open for recipe "a," another instance for recipe "b," yet another for recipe "c," etc.; all active at the same time.)

I noticed, from the image that you posted, that you appear comfortable going beyond the basic default settings; because you are using an .xml file named "Master File.xml" (which is not the default name). It also makes me think you might have secondary files (as in "not master" files?) as well. Is that correct? Or, am I reading too much into it?
View attachment 684015

Good spot on the juice file name. That's the thing that confused me about the error.. It was saying that it couldn't write to the "defaultoptions" file, which would be on the system drive and not likely being synced. (I get the juice file's name and path in that same requester.) ....... That might lead me to believe that you're onto something about having multiple instances running.

I have no idea what ">AppData>Roaming" is used for; but I looked to see if I had a similar directory/file, and I do:

I have no idea if there is any significance, that I seem to have it, and you (if I am reading you post correctly(?)) do not. Perhaps that will aid someone smarter than me.;)

The appdata-roaming folder is where most programs store their preferences and whatnot - although sometimes they might also use appdata-local, either instead-of or in addition to.

That error means he does have that file, but it is being used (opened & locked) by another program. So I think you could be onto something about the multiple instances.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
That error means he
Only because I would want to be corrected; ibndevilish is "she.";):D
So I think you could be onto something about the multiple instances.
What do they say about blind squirrels finding nuts? Just a wild, gluteus maximus(ed), guess. And it still hasn't been confirmed by @ibndevilish yet. I'm gonna hold off feeling proud of myself for the time being.:rolleyes:
I'm just glad there is someone like you around, who know what it actually means, and might know what can be done to fix it... I sure don't!:facepalm::D

Do you use the portable version @Hoggy (I do not/have not)? I was wondering what might happen if I had JC open on a laptop in the living room, and also open (at the same time) on a tablet at my mixing station; if that might cause problems?

Reactions: Ed Sause

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Do you use the portable version @Hoggy (I do not/have not)? I was wondering what might happen if I had JC open on a laptop in the living room, and also open (at the same time) on a tablet at my mixing station; if that might cause problems?

No, I use the install version. I assume you're talking about opening the same juice file via Dropbox or some such cloud-syncer. I would think it should be ok, as long as you designate one device to never save anything - only read.

You might even be able to save from both, but the last version saved would overwrite the other.. You would also have to make sure you do a 'load file' from the other device after writing changes from that first device, to get the updated changes. But -- IMO, that would also be inviting corruption or lost work. If done, one would have to make sure they do backups - and point Juice Calc backups to go to different directories

Hmmm.. This might almost be starting to somewhat kinda sorta motivate me to investigate the issue of the File Maintenance moving recipes between juice files - and overwriting current ingredient information with old data. As my juice file grows, I notice things taking much longer. Now I just gotta get my but up and try it. :)

Last edited:

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
I'm a she :) I'm not running the portable one. I have been using this calculator for a long time now and never had a issue until I got Windows 10. The master file name is how it installed it. I Just click install and let it do it's thing. I don't change anything. As for the roaming thing I even looked in that folder and the only thing in is is from Intel. I'm still scratching my head. When I get that message it's just from trying to save a new ingredient or a recipe or trying to exit the program. I also get it if I'm trying to save something under the option menu. I only go under one thing at a time. This is the best calculator I have used so I will continue on with it no matter what. I still have my old laptop and have compared everything and it's setup the same way on my new one. So who knows why it's doing what it's doing..lol

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016
So let me get this straight. @ibndevilish, when you try to save an ingredient, or recipe or simply close the program, you get the error. You have compared all the options between the 2 installs and they are the same. You have not changed the default Juice folder or file name. Am I correct so far?

Have you looked in the juice calc folder to see if the DefaultOptions.xml file exists? And if so, is the last modified date recent?

The only other thing that I can think of, is the version of DotNet you are running. Try a search for DotNet, check the properties, I should be version 4 or higher.

Last but not least. If all the above look good, uninstall and reinstall.

ibndevilish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Torrington ,CT
So let me get this straight. @ibndevilish, when you try to save an ingredient, or recipe or simply close the program, you get the error. You have compared all the options between the 2 installs and they are the same. You have not changed the default Juice folder or file name. Am I correct so far?

Have you looked in the juice calc folder to see if the DefaultOptions.xml file exists? And if so, is the last modified date recent?

The only other thing that I can think of, is the version of DotNet you are running. Try a search for DotNet, check the properties, I should be version 4 or higher.

Last but not least. If all the above look good, uninstall and reinstall.

Well I just got back home and went to add the new flavors I got in the mail today and everything was empty again, so I had to copy my master file back again. My dotnet is 4.7 and it's also enabled for 3.5 or what have ya. I have uninstalled and reinstalled this program about 6 different times and it still does the samething. The only defaultoptions.xml file I have is the DefaultOptions is the backup one. And the last one for that is a recent one. Hope all this makes some sense as I'm so tired as only got 3 hours of sleep and my brain is now warped :)

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
A couple ideas..
First, make sure you're opening the calc from under the same user on the computer.

Another thing to try would be to rename (in case it doesn't solve the problem) the "JuiceCalculator" directory within the appdata/roaming directory.
Since you mentioned not seeing much there, you may need to unhide them. To do that, open File Explorer - then click on the view menu -> Options. Then select the 'View' tab, and make sure that under 'hidden files and folders', that "show hidden files, folders, and drives" is selected. ... Also, I'm not sure if this part is needed, but you may also want to, at least temporarily, uncheck "hide protected operating system files".

After that, you should be able to see the appdata-roaming-juicecalculator directory. When doing uninstalls/re-installs, some programs may leave their appdata folder intact in case one decides to reinstall at a later date - I'm not sure what juice calc does in that regard. You may want to uninstall, then rename that directory if it is still present, and then re-install.

I'm not sure what else to try beyond that, though.. It's a strange problem.

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
EDIT: I was writing this post when @Hoggy posted the previous post. If you understand, and can follow his directions, PLEASE disregard everything after the first "1." If instructions with pictures are more helpful; follow the tutorial that follows. It (more or less) explains the steps @Hoggy described for "unhiding" folders and files.:blush:

Hope all this makes some sense as I'm so tired as only got 3 hours of sleep and my brain is now warped :)
Sorry that you had a bad night; that does make for a rough day.:( If you need a nap, or put this on hold for a bit; we certainly understand. No one trying to help you is in a rush. We only want to help you find a solution to this unusual behavior.

The more information you share; the more perplexed I get. I am hoping, the computer (Windows 10) literate participants of this thread, will be able to shed some understanding on all this.:confused:

OPEN QUESTIONS TO ALL WINDOWS 10 GURUS:
1. I can't stop fixating on the error message @ibndevilish posted in post #3247

]More specifically, the: "because it is being used by another process."
Isn't there something (like Task Manager, or ?) that could tell us "what else" is using that file? If it is known, what else is using DefaultOptions.xml, would that not give a clue as to what is going on? I found this Process Explorer (here), and downloaded it, but I don't understand what I am looking at.

2. Twice now, @ibndevilish has said that she has looked, and found nothing, in her AppData>]Roaming>JuiceCalculator folder:
In the pic it shows something about a roaming and I looked in that folder and it doesn't show anything for the juice calculator.
As for the roaming thing I even looked in that folder and the only thing in it is from Intel.
If this is correct, I would think there would be a LOT more problems, than just the "saving" issue. I have a boatload of stuff; both in the Roaming folder, AND in JuiceCalculator folder.

I see nothing relating to Intel (that she mentioned) in either location.

@ibndevilish, would you please do the following (exactly as described) for me?:
1. Open File Explorer.
2. In the left-hand column; find and select (single left click): Local Disk (C:) (drive) in the left-hand column.
upload_2017-9-5_19-8-46.png

3. In the right-hand column; find and select (double left click): Users (folder)(note: surrounding folders may differ a bit depending on what all is installed on your computer)
upload_2017-9-5_19-20-28.png

4. In the right-hand column; find and select (double left click): Denise (folder)(note: I never assigned a name to my computer; so the file is named "Owner." I doctored the following screenshot to read "Denise" for reference only)
upload_2017-9-5_19-32-30.png

This next step is critical! (and why I think you have not been seeing what we see)
5. Click on the "View" tab (along the top) and make SURE the "Hidden items" box is CHECKED:
upload_2017-9-5_19-54-49.png

(if this is unchecked; you will NOT be able to see the AppData folder!!!)

6. In the right-hand column; find and select (double left click): AppData (folder)
upload_2017-9-5_20-6-2.png

7. In the right-hand column; find and select (double left click): Roaming (folder)
upload_2017-9-5_20-9-36.png

8. In the right-hand column; find and select (double left click): JuiceCalculator (folder)
upload_2017-9-5_20-14-5.png

9. FINALLY, you should now be able to see the contents of the folder; which should look something like this:
upload_2017-9-5_20-25-44.png

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Since you mentioned not seeing much there, you may need to unhide them.
I am not sure whether to laugh or cry!:facepalm: While writing yet another bloated post, it dawned on me about the "hidden file" status of the AppData folder. Just as I was wrapping up; you posted the same thing in one neat concise paragraph. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I posted anyhow; because I am hoping someone will have an answer to my first question.

Thanks @Hoggy! :D

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
OPEN QUESTIONS TO ALL WINDOWS 10 GURUS:
1. I can't stop fixating on the error message @ibndevilish posted in post #3247

More specifically, the: "because it is being used by another process."
Isn't there something (like Task Manager, or ?) that could tell us "what else" is using that file? If it is known, what else is using DefaultOptions.xml, would that not give a clue as to what is going on? I found this Process Explorer (here), and downloaded it, but I don't understand what I am looking at.

(EDIT: Oh wow, I guess Process Explorer is actually different than Process Monitor.. Yippee - another tool for me to get confused about! :facepalm:)

Yes, that would be a key thing to find out. Although I've wondered about the 'open file' thing for a long time. I used to be more into computers, but for disability reasons these days, computers are more just a tool. So I don't know/remember as much as I used to.
Also for disability reasons (in this case cognition, memory, and pain), I find it hard to do this in-depth stuff - and even more difficult to relate/explain it to someone else.

However, IDJoel is great at explaining in detail - and I'll try to help out what he may be able to better explain.

I did a Gearch (Google search :) ) on this: find which process has a file opened - Google Search

I tried some of those techniques to find which file may have had that 'defaultoptions' file open, with Juice Calc running, but it didn't turn up anything. However, Calc might not normally hold that file open until it writes to it.. So it may not turn up anything on my machine because of that. But if it's being held open on the problem machine, the steps in that Gearch may actually turn up something.

(and, yes, that Process Monitor can be quite the monster. ;))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread