FDA New CDC ad falsely attributes lung disease to vaping,CDC to hold press conference today

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This article presents a more balanced attitude toward the CDC ad and points out that the CDC ad misrepresents the ecig industry and dishonestly portrays ecigs as the culprit.

CDC Creates Anti-Smoking Ad That Cites E-Cigarettes - ABC News

Advocates for e-cigarettes and other vaping devices said the ad is misleading and that it mistakenly connects the tobacco products with the e-cigarette.

“It just continues the CDC’s several-year quest to mislead smokers into believing that vaper products [including e-cigarettes] may be hazardous to the health of smokers,” said Gregory Conley, the president of the American vaping Association, which advocates for small- and medium-sized vaping-related companies. “The clear implication in the new CDC ad is that the use of vaper products somehow contributed to the disease suffered by the smoker in the ad. That's patently dishonest.”

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Your story, Nomore Stinkies, should be sent to the head of CDC! Signed, return receipt requested because we want to be sure he got it. Over a yr. ago, met a young woman at a Knoxville vape meet who also had had a collapsed lung. Was not this woman. The woman I met went on vaping and felt far better for it. :)

Because of your medical background and where you work, how have your associates received your experience with vaping? I ask because my oldest dau. is also a nurse in Fairbanks, AK. Her response to my vaping when I surprised her with it on one visit was estatic. After we danced around a bit at 5:30 a.m. before she set off for work, she asked me all about it. Took the info off to the hospital with her and shared. Apparently vaping is not well received there, but they do hand out inhalers. :facepalm:

They would throw my letter in the trash along with all the other evidence regarding THR and ecigs!

Sadly, my vaping has not gone over very well in the eyes of some physicians. I keep mum now. IMO some physicians ignore the counter scientific articles regarding the positive and just say it's "bad". No further comments on why it's "bad". Believe me I have offered hundreds of articles for them but they ignore my proof.
My husband's physician (he had surgery for epiglottis cancer) was all for it. He said whatever it takes just don't smoke cigarettes. 2 years post op and no recurrence. Laryngoscopy's(images) of his larynx are no longer inflamed. So what caused his cancer? Wood shavings, drywall dust or was it the cigarettes? Can't blame that on ecigs now can we? We didn't start e-cigs until 1 year later.
We have to get waivers from our doctors because of the tobacco screening or pay 70.00 per paycheck for NRT. Give up cigarettes and they still punish you. I wonder if they have a time period for waivers because we are not ready to give these up just yet. Temptation is still there. I guess we will find out.

I am not naïve to believe that these are totally harmless, but with improved health for both of us, it seems like we are on the right path towards eventually quitting even these.

Ya know, I wonder if Friedan talked to the FDA about that approved drug called Chantix. Yeah, that drug. The one that almost sent me to the Acorn suite, if you get my drift. Even approved drugs have side effects when they come on the market. Some side effects come up post market and they amend their package inserts. Just like cigarettes and they still sell them. WHY? Simple: G R E E D. Follow the money.

I wish I could convince the skeptics but I believe that they really don't understand the hard core smokers sincere readiness to quit but the current options just don't work for some of us. They don't get it. I am beginning to believe they never will. How many people will keep smoking because they have heard that it was worse than cigarettes. This is a crime. My God these people need a chance.

On to another battle like salmon in a microwave in a public place. Yeah I hate the smell of that. Or how about.......................................................that $3500.00 for the positive side of vaping........................

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
Precisely! My asthma means I can't abide anything over 20% VG, or I can't breathe at all, and go around feeling like I have a hairball in my chest that I can't cough up no matter how hard I try. If I tried to vape 100% VG, I'd soon be in a hospital, since even trying a 35% VG juice gave me an asthma attack so bad, I almost couldn't even inhale from my rescue inhaler!

Andria

Everybody is different aren't they? I tried PG and I went into severe bronchospasm. I was buying cheap tasteless liquids with a 70/30 mix. Bout near killed me. At least people will realize that there are other options. I couldn't find a liquid without PG for awhile. Finally went on line. Now I see a lot of them have it. Nice to pass around our experiences.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
So far I'm blessed. I smoked a PAD of Marlboro Reds for almost 20 years and then another 20 years with ultra lights, 2 PAD. I've only had three X-rays and one CTI scan in all that time, but each showed normal results for lung condition. The most recent X-ray was a couple of months ago when I caught what was going around during Christmas and the doctor sent me for an X-ray to rule out pneumonia. That was diagnosed normal and the copy I got on DVD looks like all the Google images of normal X-rays.

I do notice a slight need to breathe deeply when I exert myself, but maybe not more than normal for my age (64). For what it's worth, I do 140 free weight reps and a 6 mile stationary bike ride 5 days a week with the bike peaking at 80% resistance. My heart rate rises about 20 to 30 BPM during that time and my pulse oximeter stays at 97/98 and I can breathe deeply while riding and hit 99. Vaping for 5 years and not smoking is the reason I can do that.

I'll always think that government has an alternate adenda that is based on tax receipts and not necessarily our health. Maybe they just don't like the sight of exhaled vapor. If they were interested in our health, they'd outlaw tobacco cigarettes and praise vaping. Go figure.

Smoked 16 years, 2 1/2 pack day. Being obese and diabetic, i was in a really bad shape, chest pain, all bad. Done pulmonar test on quiting, my capacity was from start better than normal average, but i was falling back on exalation test. Since that time, only vaping, a year. Started exercising, no more chest pain, nothing, can swim underwater for more than a minute, things i would never be able smoking. I mostly use Halo and Joyetech, and i never felt better on my lungs.

postembr2

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
What botter me is that why the governments insist in getting into individual ways. Vaping or smoking isnt a dangerous drug in the way you can harm the others like narcotics. Even if it were so harmful it should be a user choice.
You see what happens when the market isnt government regulated? A lot of products appear, the market itself regulates, reputable brands establish on the market. The market should be one regulating demand and quality.
You still have the choice on US and Europe. Here in Brazil, government prohibited any ecig by 2009, effectively blocking all the market that could have been established here leading to protests on ban.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's my opinion, but I think that the general population has all sorts of varying tendencies toward disease. There are people who smoked all their lives and are healthy for their age and cancer free. I have known people who developed lung cancer in their 40s, both smokers and non-smokers. Connecting short term vaping with a long history of smoking cigarettes and saying that vaping caused their illness is, as some have said, patently dishonest.

I believe that those who have worked to completely eliminate cigarettes from America are furious at the popularity of something that has been tested and reported to be far safer than smoking. It's a slap in the face to their efforts and they will pick up on anything that suggests there's a connection with vaping and illness and declare vaping to be as dangerous as smoking.

Anyone with average intelligence can see the fallacy in that argument. I'm surprised that highly educated doctors and researchers can jump on that bandwagon with a straight face and lambast vaping with no valid scientific evidence to support.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Every negative article deserves a rebuttal. This article from WebMD interviews a mix of people from the medical community AND the electronic cigarette industry. It makes no assumptions and simply reports on the complexities of the battle between those who want cigarettes and ecigs eradicated vs those who wish to transition to something safer.

E-Cigarettes Under Fire

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The WebMD article at
E-Cigarettes Under Fire
is from six years ago (2009), just before SE and NJOY sued the FDA for unlawfully banning e-cig imports.

I looked for a date on that one and couldn't find one. It did ring a nostalgic bell. I try to post current articles. I guess positive articles are rarer in the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread