New Joyetech 20watt eGrip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
In order to get the Aspire BVC coils to work, you have to remove the metal pin at the bottom of the coil head and replace it with one of the bottom pins from the CS or Eleaf GS Air coils, which are flat instead of long like the BVC coils. They will fit after you switch them out. I liked the BVC coils and there is a newer version of them now with organic cotton which I haven't tried.

Welps.. I already got my CLR coil heads. Egrip is still in New York... hoping it gets to me sometime soon, it's been in the same place for the past 4 days so.. it better get moving!

Hey Kyi, did you get your OLED? I'm curious about how the CLR works in it compared to the RBA.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Hey Kyi, did you get your OLED? I'm curious about how the CLR works in it compared to the RBA.

Well, the package was stuck in New York for almost a week before it started moving again. Good news is that it is out for delivery today and I should be getting it within the next 2 hours or so. Bad news is I have to go to the dentist and I won't be able to mess with it until I get back later. But yea, I have the CLR coils already so I'll update later when I get to test them out! Also, I didn't really use the RBA base much so I can't give you a good comparison to that, but my main gripe with the RBA base is too much airflow and as a mouth to lung hitter, I prefer a tighter draw.

Reactions: Dimplegirl

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Ok I got my eGrip CL and the CLR coil in and my favorite juice in there. I had to fit the silicone cap on top of the coil before I could use it and my eGrip kit came with a bag of extra caps and O rings.

It seems to hit really well, it tastes better than the Aspire BVC and GS Air coils and I like that it is rebuildable, although I just used the stock coil inside. While it IS better, I wouldn't say its mountains better... but maybe it just needs some time to break in? I always felt like the coils perform better after it's been vaped on for a little bit. I might like the RBA base more if I could use the airflow control with it, but since it doesn't, I just stick to these coil heads. I say, if you like using the RBA and prefer open airflow, not sure if the coil heads with the airflow screw completely removed is as airy as using the RBA. But if you prefer building your own coils, this could be better for some people depending on how they build their coils. I think it's worth picking some up if you want to try them in your eGrip or have an Ego One lying around since you can use them in both.

For me, I'll probably just use these CLR coils from now on and try rebuilding this current coil after it starts to taste bad. The CL and CLR coils seem to provide a better seal because of the silicone cap and I'm hoping this will eliminate any leaking issues in the future. I'm pretty content with this setup. Btw, I am using the 1.0 ohm coils and I am getting good TH and lots of vapor. Well, comparable to the other coils, probably not as much as the RBA base but I don't care that much about super clouds. It's giving me that nice smooth sizzling vape with an occasional pop or crack.

Last edited:

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
Ok I got my eGrip CL and the CLR coil in and my favorite juice in there. I had to fit the silicone cap on top of the coil before I could use it and my eGrip kit came with a bag of extra caps and O rings.

It seems to hit really well, it tastes better than the Aspire BVC and GS Air coils and I like that it is rebuildable, although I just used the stock coil inside. While it IS better, I wouldn't say its mountains better... but maybe it just needs some time to break in? I always felt like the coils perform better after it's been vaped on for a little bit. I might like the RBA base more if I could use the airflow control with it, but since it doesn't, I just stick to these coil heads. I say, if you like using the RBA and prefer open airflow, not sure if the coil heads with the airflow screw completely removed is as airy as using the RBA. But if you prefer building your own coils, this could be better for some people depending on how they build their coils. I think it's worth picking some up if you want to try them in your eGrip or have an Ego One lying around since you can use them in both.

For me, I'll probably just use these CLR coils from now on and try rebuilding this current coil after it starts to taste bad. The CL and CLR coils seem to provide a better seal because of the silicone cap and I'm hoping this will eliminate any leaking issues in the future. I'm pretty content with this setup. Btw, I am using the 1.0 ohm coils and I am getting good TH and lots of vapor. Well, comparable to the other coils, probably not as much as the RBA base but I don't care that much about super clouds. It's giving me that nice smooth sizzling vape with an occasional pop or crack.

Thanks @Kyi for the review! It sounds like I'm going to have to try the CLR coils. I do like the air I get from the RBA, but I'm sick of the leaky leak from the RBA. Hopefully the CL head will be available in the U.S. soon. Let me ask you, how can we dry burn the CLR coil before re wicking? I do LOVE, the sizzling, pop and crack :) Did you try the Standard CL coil too or just the CLR? Any dry hits? I like that with the CLR you can adjust the juice flow.

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I have some standard CL coils but I've only tried them in the Ego One tank, not the eGrip. They are decent in my opinion, but I think the CLR are better. Check out this video of the guy taking apart a CLR coil. I know you can remove the CLR top cap, remove the wick, and dry burn.. but the base.. the only way I see to do this really easily is using an Ego One tank base which you can screw the coil onto and then dry burn using a regulated mod. Either that or if there's some way the base can be fit into the eGrip RBA adapter and then fired. Or, you can just attach the coil head (with the wick removed and coil exposed) to the regular CL base and put in the eGrip and fire a couple times, although you won't be able to see the coil.

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
I have some standard CL coils but I've only tried them in the Ego One tank, not the eGrip. They are decent in my opinion, but I think the CLR are better. Check out this video of the guy taking apart a CLR coil. I know you can remove the CLR top cap, remove the wick, and dry burn.. but the base.. the only way I see to do this really easily is using an Ego One tank base which you can screw the coil onto and then dry burn using a regulated mod. Either that or if there's some way the base can be fit into the eGrip RBA adapter and then fired. Or, you can just attach the coil head (with the wick removed and coil exposed) to the regular CL base and put in the eGrip and fire a couple times, although you won't be able to see the coil.

That's what I figured... I would need the Ego One tank base. Hmmm, ok thanks again.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Well, I brought my eGrip around all day today while running errands and left it in my hot car and usually that causes it to leak and it didn't nice. Later, I was vaping in my kitchen and I picked it up and noticed a puddle of liquid below it. Darn! Thought this thing would be leak free... at least I hoped that it would be. Seems like it leaked since the juice volume was low.. an issue I had before. Sigh... oh well, guess the only thing to do is try to keep the juice level high unless I find another way to keep it from leaking. Anyone have a good explanation for why it would leak while its low? It didn't do that on my last 2 refills when I waited till it was pretty much empty so... maybe its an isolated event.. who knows. Just wish this darned device wouldn't leak!! Everything else about it is great!

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Woo hoo ;) Found a local supplier of the bases in Oz, and they came in today. Because I only have the V1 eGrip, I rewound a CLR 1.0Ω yesterday to a higher resistance using 30AWG Nichrome80 in anticipation of their arrival. Works very well so far, although the silicon caps took 20s or so to mount :rolleyes:

Last edited:
re: leaking and dumping last bit of juice.

Is the egrip getting tilted or laid on it's side? If the juice is extremely low then the pressure might be getting lost when the juice intakes are exposed, creating a direct line between the air intake and the empty part of the tank.

Not a solution, but a possible explanation.

Muru

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Has anyone tried the following coil method:
Put the legs through the postholes, both on the same side. Then 'fold' the coil upwards so it can be positioned above the airhole?
I tried it this way because doing it the regular way is such a PITA, but I had the legs way too long, so it was too high above the airhole. I guess that's why it leaked like crazy. Will try again when I have a bit of spare time (very rare....)

PinkEgoTUser

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
CA
Great, I'll check that out now! Thank you!!

I just looked at a bunch of vids and I cannot get the outer ring/casing off... This is mine
egrip2.jpg

gt_1955

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
South Australia
Use a clearo with a removable drip tip, remove the drip tip and place the clearo over your coil. Obviously the coil goes where you removed the drip tip. Rock the clearo from side to side with moderate pressure, and the cap will pop off. If you have trouble holding the base, unscrew the coil and screw it into a mod (not an eGo!!).

Rebuild videos: GS Air Info | E-Cigarette Forum
and/or E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
I just took a look at both the OLED CS and CL versions of the Egrip on Joyetech's site. I'm not sure if they stated this before (I don't think it was on there) but it now shows that the CS version can accept CL heads. It does not say that you must have a CL base in order to use the CL coils. In that case, they either started shipping the CS versions with the CL base, or perhaps the CS base CAN actually use the CL coils without needing a CL base? If that is the case, then there is absolutely no difference between the v1 (CS) and v2 (CL), unless there is?? I'm really confused now. The only difference I can see now is that the CS version is shipped with the CS coils and the CL version with the CL coils. But the CS version can also use CL coils, it just doesn't come with them.

ALSO, they are both listed as being able to go up to 30 watts, even though the stock device does not! You must perform the "hack" in order to unlock 30 watt mode, and they do not specify this on their site. Most users will try to go up to 30 watts and not be able to and have no idea how to unlock it. The 'hack' is to click the power button 30 times to unlock it. I find it curious that Joyetech does not say this on their site, nor was it their original intention to have this device be 30 and that it is unlocked some weird way that no one even knew about until someone figured it out, and now they changed the site to say it can up to 30 watt.

Reactions: PinkEgoTUser

Dimplegirl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2015
New Jersey
I just took a look at both the OLED CS and CL versions of the Egrip on Joyetech's site. I'm not sure if they stated this before (I don't think it was on there) but it now shows that the CS version can accept CL heads. It does not say that you must have a CL base in order to use the CL coils. In that case, they either started shipping the CS versions with the CL base, or perhaps the CS base CAN actually use the CL coils without needing a CL base? If that is the case, then there is absolutely no difference between the v1 (CS) and v2 (CL), unless there is?? I'm really confused now. The only difference I can see now is that the CS version is shipped with the CS coils and the CL version with the CL coils. But the CS version can also use CL coils, it just doesn't come with them.

ALSO, they are both listed as being able to go up to 30 watts, even though the stock device does not! You must perform the "hack" in order to unlock 30 watt mode, and they do not specify this on their site. Most users will try to go up to 30 watts and not be able to and have no idea how to unlock it. The 'hack' is to click the power button 30 times to unlock it. I find it curious that Joyetech does not say this on their site, nor was it their original intention to have this device be 30 and that it is unlocked some weird way that no one even knew about until someone figured it out, and now they changed the site to say it can up to 30 watt.

@Kyi, so what you are saying is our original bases that came with our eGrips we can use the CL coils? But we still need the top o-ring cap?

pokemom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Lauderhill, Florida, United States
@Kyi, so what you are saying is our original bases that came with our eGrips we can use the CL coils? But we still need the top o-ring cap?
if anyone finds the caps, please post where here!! I've looked for an hour now and can't find them sold separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread