New to vaping and could use some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
I recently was gifted a Wismec Motiv vape from my mother. I think it was her newest attempt to help me quit smoking, lol. I've been using it though and haven't smoked a cigarette in almost two months. My problem is that when I order the atomizer heads for it they don't work half the time. I've gone through the troubleshooting page on the site I can get them from and it tells me to gently raise the center pin with a paperclip. After doing that the head will work but I can't fully tighten the top cap or it stops working again. Is this a common problem with this kind of unit or is it mostly user error? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
Hi and Welcome! I do not own your device so I am not sure about the answers to the problem you are having. Maybe You Tube has some answers? That is my go to when I have questions on products!
Do you have a Vape shop - maybe they can help fix it or help?
Maybe try another product like the Juul, AIO or the eLeaf iCare- these are all starter devices that are inexpensive and get great reviews.
Best Of Luck!

Best of luck

Reactions: Eskie

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
I don't think there is a Vape shop near me. I didn't even think about youtube though. I might have to check that out in a little bit. If I can't find anything there then I may check into some of the different Vapes that you suggested. I would hope I could find something that is easier to get atomizer heads for than the one I have now. For the one I have there is only one site I've found that carries them and they have to be shipped all the way from China. It's kind of a pain having to deal with that stuff. I just ordered some new atomizer heads so hopefully they won't have the same problems. I'm working on fully quitting anyway so it might not even be worth it to spend the money on a different one. I'll just have to see how things go.

Reactions: SnapDragon NY

SnapDragon NY

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2017
I don't think there is a Vape shop near me. I didn't even think about youtube though. I might have to check that out in a little bit. If I can't find anything there then I may check into some of the different Vapes that you suggested. I would hope I could find something that is easier to get atomizer heads for than the one I have now. For the one I have there is only one site I've found that carries them and they have to be shipped all the way from China. It's kind of a pain having to deal with that stuff. I just ordered some new atomizer heads so hopefully they won't have the same problems. I'm working on fully quitting anyway so it might not even be worth it to spend the money on a different one. I'll just have to see how things go.
For me- back ups are very important! When something happens to your vape- you don't want cigarettes to be your back up plan! Where are you? Are you in the US? Many online vape shops that would carry these products!
I am in the US and we have many great online vendors! I have used China like FT and GearBest, takes too long for me, I only use them to stock my coils I am in no rush for!

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome, @Custos

I am not at all familiar with your gear, but a quick search shows it to be a very inexpensive start up kit with coils available from several reputable sites here in the states. But I get what you are saying, we all just want to be able to pick up our vape and take a hit! If it has kept you off the smokes for 2 months, it has done its job! So, having said that.....

If you are getting off the smokes and want to continue vaping, it might be time to check out something a little more advanced and dependable and relegate the motiv to backup status as others have suggested. I know there is stuff available that doesn't involve continually fiddling with, but don't have the personal knowledge to give recommendations. But I am sure others will be happy to share what they like and use.

Hope you get things ironed out and working well for you. Good luck! :vapor:

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
For me- back ups are very important! When something happens to your vape- you don't want cigarettes to be your back up plan! Where are you? Are you in the US? Many online vape shops that would carry these products!
I am in the US and we have many great online vendors! I have used China like FT and GearBest, takes too long for me, I only use them to stock my coils I am in no rush for!
I'm in the US as well. I just live in a small town. I know I can get the juice for them from the tobacco shop down the road but I don't think they are able to do any repairs or anything like that on them. I don't even think they carry the atomizer heads for the Vape I have, lol. I don't really know anything about building atomizers so that's not something that I would need to worry about. I would just like something that is going to work reliably that I don't have to wait three weeks to get the atomizer heads for. I may have to take a look and see what kind of Vapes are sold around me. I never really thought of using a Vape until I was gifted one. I use it all the time now and am slowly working my way off nicotine all together. I don't want to have to buy another one if I don't have to since I plan to completely quit using it one I get rid of the nicotine.

Welcome, @Custos

I am not at all familiar with your gear, but a quick search shows it to be a very inexpensive start up kit with coils available from several reputable sites here in the states. But I get what you are saying, we all just want to be able to pick up our vape and take a hit! If it has kept you off the smokes for 2 months, it has done its job! So, having said that.....

If you are getting off the smokes and want to continue vaping, it might be time to check out something a little more advanced and dependable and relegate the motiv to backup status as others have suggested. I know there is stuff available that doesn't involve continually fiddling with, but don't have the personal knowledge to give recommendations. But I am sure others will be happy to share what they like and use.

Hope you get things ironed out and working well for you. Good luck! :vapor:
Ya, I think someone was pulling my mother's leg when she bought it since they told her this one was a high end Vape. I don't know what she actually paid for at and I won't ask since it was a gift. I can only hope she didn't pay too much. So far it has done a good job. I just hope it can keep going long enough to do what I want. I don't really plan to continue Vaping for a long time. I'm gradually lowering the nicotine level over time until I get to nothing. Once I get there then I'm just going to put it down and be done. That's the plan anyway, lol. With that in mind, I really don't want to go out a spend a ton of money on an expensive Vape that I will just end up not needing before too terrible long. If I'm going to buy a second one as a backup then it'll probably be a pretty cheap one. That way, when I can put it down and walk away completely, I won't feel bad about having spent a ton of money on it.

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
I'm in the US as well. I just live in a small town. I know I can get the juice for them from the tobacco shop down the road but I don't think they are able to do any repairs or anything like that on them. I don't even think they carry the atomizer heads for the Vape I have, lol. I don't really know anything about building atomizers so that's not something that I would need to worry about. I would just like something that is going to work reliably that I don't have to wait three weeks to get the atomizer heads for. I may have to take a look and see what kind of Vapes are sold around me. I never really thought of using a Vape until I was gifted one. I use it all the time now and am slowly working my way off nicotine all together. I don't want to have to buy another one if I don't have to since I plan to completely quit using it one I get rid of the nicotine.

Ya, I think someone was pulling my mother's leg when she bought it since they told her this one was a high end Vape. I don't know what she actually paid for at and I won't ask since it was a gift. I can only hope she didn't pay too much. So far it has done a good job. I just hope it can keep going long enough to do what I want. I don't really plan to continue Vaping for a long time. I'm gradually lowering the nicotine level over time until I get to nothing. Once I get there then I'm just going to put it down and be done. That's the plan anyway, lol. With that in mind, I really don't want to go out a spend a ton of money on an expensive Vape that I will just end up not needing before too terrible long. If I'm going to buy a second one as a backup then it'll probably be a pretty cheap one. That way, when I can put it down and walk away completely, I won't feel bad about having spent a ton of money on it.

@Custos, actually building your own coils is the best way to get reliable coils, however, you said you're not interested in building coils. Which I totally understand, but it's really not that hard. (Basically it's just wrapping a wire around another object like a mini screwdriver or coat hanger.)

Anyways, I just wanted to say that ordering coils from China is a hit and miss thing since they are not so hot on QA. They are more interested in number of items sold.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If the Wismec has seen you through 2 months but is proving unreliable, I'd say get another device. What's the deal here? You get another and either quit vaping or not. It's an inexpensive plan, just don't get ripped off. There are lots of $25-$40 kits out there. There are also greedy brands (who rig the internet) who will charge you $100 + and bribe the disgusting review sites that ruin this industry. The playing field is not level & too many vapers don't speak out. It's depressing. However, the forums are reliable for recommendations.
I would get another e-cig. :)

Last edited:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
@Custos, actually building your own coils is the best way to get reliable coils, however, you said you're not interested in building coils. Which I totally understand, but it's really not that hard. (Basically it's just wrapping a wire around another object like a mini screwdriver or coat hanger.)

Anyways, I just wanted to say that ordering coils from China is a hit and miss thing since they are not so hot on QA. They are more interested in number of items sold.
It just seems like it would require me to make an investment into something I hopefully won't be using for too long. My whole reason for Vaping is to quit smoking. Once I get off the nicotine completely with the Vape then I don't plan to even use that any more so I wouldn't want to try to learn to build the coils for something I don't plan to be doing for very long.

If the Wismec has seen you through 2 months but is proving unreliable, I'd say get another device. What's the deal here? You get another and either quit vaping or not. It's an inexpensive plan, just don't get ripped off. There are lots of $25-$40 kits out there. There are also greedy brands (who rig the internet) who will charge you $100 + and bribe the disgusting review sites that ruin this industry. The playing field is not level & too many vapers don't speak out. It's depressing. However, the forums are reliable for recommendations.
I would get another e-cig. :)
I will be looking into other vapes. I'm on a fixed income though so price is a big thing for me. I personally didn't even know this forum existed until the customer service person I spoke to from Heavenly Gifts told me about it. I have been trying to read a bit in here though.

Internet purchase. Much, much cheaper that way. Get back-ups for everything. A whole new system.

People seem to like the Pico.

Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC Mod

Kanger Mini SUBTANK Clearomizer

5pk Kanger SUBTANK Replacement Coils

There may be cheaper at other sites, I don't know. And others may suggest a different topper or coils.

Good luck
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to look into that one and see how it goes.

Reactions: djsvapour

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Backups for the backups is a good rule. If you get two or three of them, you have a good chance at having one working pretty much all the time. I don't have your machine, and know nothing about it, but I have several Wismec units and I like them. I do know those pre-made coils are churned out by the thousands on automated machinery and, in China, QC is not what it can attain in the USA. I used to have that problem, but I switched to rebuildables and don't worry about it any more. It's not that hard to do, albeit there is a learning curve and there is some upfront cost for a supply of wire and wick and a few basic tools. Living, as you do, in a small town with no vape stores, you might want to look into it. Just a thought. If you decide to try, there are any number of folks around here, including my humble self, who will be happy to help you over the rough spots.

lil_buddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2017
since I have a totally different device, this info may or may not be helpful...

I have an eleaf iJust2 and half the coils I bought would not work. I realized that the metal contact piece on the bottom of the coil was pushed too far in and was not contacting the electrical contact in the base. I solved the issue by pulling out that bottom piece just a little - like the thickness of a fingernail - to get it to make the necessary contact.

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
since I have a totally different device, this info may or may not be helpful...

I have an eleaf iJust2 and half the coils I bought would not work. I realized that the metal contact piece on the bottom of the coil was pushed too far in and was not contacting the electrical contact in the base. I solved the issue by pulling out that bottom piece just a little - like the thickness of a fingernail - to get it to make the necessary contact.
That's pretty much the problem I've been having with the atomizer heads for the unit I have now. I just used a paperclip and pushed the pin a little bit and it works now. The only problem is that I can't tighten the head assembly much or it won't work. I'm making due with it for now and hopefully the new atomizer heads I ordered won't have to same problem. If they do then I think I may either have to find a new supplier or just break down and buy a different Vape all together.

Backups for the backups is a good rule. If you get two or three of them, you have a good chance at having one working pretty much all the time. I don't have your machine, and know nothing about it, but I have several Wismec units and I like them. I do know those pre-made coils are churned out by the thousands on automated machinery and, in China, QC is not what it can attain in the USA. I used to have that problem, but I switched to rebuildables and don't worry about it any more. It's not that hard to do, albeit there is a learning curve and there is some upfront cost for a supply of wire and wick and a few basic tools. Living, as you do, in a small town with no vape stores, you might want to look into it. Just a thought. If you decide to try, there are any number of folks around here, including my humble self, who will be happy to help you over the rough spots.
Thanks. I just looked into one that was recommended earlier in the thread and I'm seeing conflicting info on it. The page itself has a video that warns that the unit is for advance users but then the comments say that it's great for beginners. I have troubles learning new things due to a head injury when I was in the Army so I try to know my limits on things and what I can do. Building the coils seems like it might be beyond what I can remember how to do for a long period of time so I'd rather just stick with a pre-made atomizer head.

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
If you are serious about short term vaping and it sounds like your Wismec Motiv is fine just having problems with additional coils, I would order replacement coils in the US such as here (less than $2 each) and if you want another inexpensive backup you can get another Motiv for under $20.
I didn't even know about that site for buying the atomizer heads. I had gotten mine from Heavenly Gifts in a 5 pack for a little over $10. I just did the math on it and it seems I can order the same amount from the site you showed and get them a little cheaper. Plus, if they are shipping from within the US, they will probably get to me a lot quicker than the other site. I'll have to look into that.

Reactions: numsquat

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
I actually got a recommendation for the second link you posted for them from another person earlier too. I've been checking them out and it looks like they will get to me a lot faster than the other site my mother showed me. Thanks for getting back to me about it too. I'm really glad I found this forum now, lol.

Reactions: Txaggiesaunt

The Fugly vaper

Mar 31, 2017
Hiya Custos - congratulations on ditching the "stinkies" for 2 months!!
I would agree with a few others here - get yourself a back up device that works every time.
Although you say you intend to quit all together (and that's admirable and I hope you manage it) if your device stops working all together, if you have no back up device you may be tempted back to smoking - and that would be AWFUL!
Think how much you WOULD be spending on cigarettes over a week (or 2) and spend up to that amount in another device. If you only use that device for say 2 weeks, it will only have cost you the same amount you would have wasted on cigarettes - and, more importantly, it will still be there if you ever get tempted to start smoking again.
Hope you manage to sort out your problem - and well done on your achievement thus far! Vape on!

Custos

Mar 30, 2017
Illinois
Hiya Custos - congratulations on ditching the "stinkies" for 2 months!!
I would agree with a few others here - get yourself a back up device that works every time.
Although you say you intend to quit all together (and that's admirable and I hope you manage it) if your device stops working all together, if you have no back up device you may be tempted back to smoking - and that would be AWFUL!
Think how much you WOULD be spending on cigarettes over a week (or 2) and spend up to that amount in another device. If you only use that device for say 2 weeks, it will only have cost you the same amount you would have wasted on cigarettes - and, more importantly, it will still be there if you ever get tempted to start smoking again.
Hope you manage to sort out your problem - and well done on your achievement thus far! Vape on!
I'm looking into prices on backups now. I'm not sure which one I'll go with yet but I am looking into them, lol. I'm probably still gonna go with a unit that has atomizer heads I can order instead of one that I would have to build it myself since I think that will be out of my range of ability to do. I did see a bit of a notice somewhere that my device is made to work better with a 6mg nicotine content than the 12mg I'm using now so I plan on buying that level to see if it makes a difference too. I planned on lowering my nicotine level with my next purchase anyway so it just happens to work out too, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread