New to vaping, taste is gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am new to vaping. Got my first setup 2 weeks ago, just a basic little Vapoligy Riva kit that came with an Atomizer and a Stardust V3.1 tank. I must say that when I first got it I loved it. The taste was great, the lack of cig smoke smell was great, and IMHO the price was better.
It seems though that the past week my juices have very little to no taste and have a bad after taste. Too me it just tastes like some weird smoke and I get a nasty after taste of burnt something. I stuck the atomizer on to see if I got different results and the taste is just as bad if not worse. I tried my buddies E-cig which is pretty much what I have and his tastes great! I tried some of his liquid in mine thinking maybe it is just my brand of liquid. Nope still tastes bad in mine. I thought that maybe my heating coil was bad or needed some kind of special cleaning so I have had a few guys in the house here try it. They all thought that it tasted wonderfull.

What could be causing my taste buds to go crazy and why is it only with my e-cig when I use it but no one else? I cant really describe the taste that I experience but it is not as nice and sweet as it was at first.

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
Hi Flyfisher and welcome to ECF.

Well off the top of my head I can see three potental issues you are running into.

1. Vaper's Tongue. This is where while your taste buds heal from smoking they go on vacation a bit.

2. Your Stardust V3 wick-coil assembly may be clogged (can happen with darker and thicker juices), or you may be having a wicking problem. I have clearomizers like that--I happen to like them but they aren't for everyone--I find that if it is a wicking issue swirling your juice around to make sure it hits the wicks close to the holes the wicks come out of helps a lot.

If the coil-wick assembly is clogged the solution is to replace it. The coil-wick assembly that is--I assume the contacts, tube and drip tip are all in working order still.

3. It may be your juice. I've had this problem when I first started vaping too. I got a Winston Cigarette flavor that at first I really liked. As time went by it developed a smoky after taste, since I normally shop at a B&M for juice, I asked the clerk if it had a smoke component in the flavoring it did. So the problem there was my taste changed. (yes it can happen in to weeks, it did for me).

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Your taste buds are busy healing right now, so you will have good days and bad days as far as taste goes. Typically, it takes several weeks to 2 months for your taste buds to fully recover.
You can help by drinking plenty of water, especially when vaping. Your taste buds need moisture to work properly, and vaping will dehydrate you quickly.

astounded

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2013
vancouver bc
I found I experienced Vapor's Toungue quite frequently and same as mentioned above, my tastes changed fairly quickly. I like hot peppers for vapor's tongue ... And if I lose a taste for one juice I either set it aside for awhile or blend it with another to try to find a combination that appeals to me better.

I know it's frustrating but you're not alone & it will pass. (Check your clearos though as suggested above) Good luck!

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
Cleaning the atty and clearomizer would likely help. I've been told that CE4s last about two weeks, but I've been using mine for almost 6 weeks now--mostly because I clean them after every third refill and dry burn the coil.

However, if it's vaper's tongue a problem I've encountered is that if you vape the same thing all the time, your taste buds start to ignore the flavor. It becomes background noise to them. I first started looking into it because I had a similar problem but I could actually taste my food, but not my vape.

Califa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2013
California
i used to use stardust clearo's on my ego twist and it worked for me but after two weeks your atomizer head needs to be switched out. im pretty sure thats what you're experiencing. i know on the vivi novas you can rebuild the atty head with new wick and coil and i dont see why it would be impossible on a clearomizer.
solution: switch out the head on the stardust
i hope this was helpful

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
Are you vaping different juices, or just the same juice for the last few weeks?
As previously mentioned, changing up juices will keep your taste buds "engaged" and prevent "vapors toungue".
Since your buddies vape tasted fine, I think the problem that your having isn't related to your taste or toungue.....but your clearo and/or cartridge, as indicated by your description of "nasty burnt taste".
Take that clearo apart and clean it....run in under HOT water a few times and blow it out. rinse the wicks well and pat them dry. Inspect the wicks and see if there are any burnt areas.....if so toss the atty head and put on a new one (they sell replacement heads).
Rinse out the clearos every few tank fulls with hot water, unscrew the atty head and rinse it out and pat it dry. Give a few pulses to heat the coil (dry burn) before filling with juice!! Fill and vape on!!
Hope this helps
Good Luck........

Edit: also forgot to mention, that you want to make sure your wicks are saturate every time before you fire your device for a vape. Hold your PV at a 3 o'clock position (horizontal) and twist it back and forth a few times, ensuring the juice is saturating the wicks. FYI thicker juices (high VG) dont wick as well as thinner juices (more PG). a good blend for using in clearos is a 50/50 blend. Good wicking, good flavor and good vapor production too!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips all I will get busy trying these things out and will report back! I have a new tank for my spare battery in the mail as of right now so when it gets here I will see if it works any differently. I also go a Minty flavored juice to see if my tounge wasnt used to the fruity watermelon and raspberry flavors I currently have.

I usually roll the tank around and get the juice all around the top of the wicks and wicking holes but it is thick enough that I may not be getting a good wick.

If the new tank fixes it Ill take the current one apart and give it a good cleaning. I do rinse with hot water if/when I change flavors but I may not be getting it cleaned good enough. The current juices I have are pretty thick, a lot thicker than any my buddy has and they are a lot darker so Ill see if something isnt clogged up. Is there anyway to make my juices a little runnier without compromising flavor?

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
If the new tank fixes it Ill take the current one apart and give it a good cleaning. I do rinse with hot water if/when I change flavors but I may not be getting it cleaned good enough. The current juices I have are pretty thick, a lot thicker than any my buddy has and they are a lot darker so Ill see if something isnt clogged up. Is there anyway to make my juices a little runnier without compromising flavor?

I clean my clearomizers after every third tank refill and whenever I plan on changing flavor. You want to make sure the wicking and everything is dry before using them. I suggest letting them air dry over night while using a back up.That could be your atty or perhaps even some cartomizers, one thing I've learned on this forum is to have back ups and back ups for your back ups. If humidity is a problem (I sometimes have that problem living in FL) you can take a small bag of rice and carefully lay the clearomizer on top of the rice (this is an overnight process). You will have to remove any grains or rice dust later though.

To thin your juices will probably compromise flavor anyway. There are basically three ways to do it. 1. Adding a small quantity of DISTILLED water, or USP Grade PG--it must be USP grade, thats the kind used in pharmaceuticals--or Pure Grain Alcohol or vodka.

I'm unsure about the math for the purpose of thinning juice but I'm sure someone around here knows.

Caution should be used when using the distilled water to not add too much water.

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
So I was sitting around tonight and experimenting.

#1: I noticed that when drinking something sweet like mountain dew or water with Mio energy in it my e cig tasted great.
#2: Plain water it tasted bad
#3: If I tip the tank down before/during use and get a lot of juice around the wick hole it tastes bad.
#4: If I let it lay horizontally but stand it up vertically for like 2 seconds before use, and leave vertical during use, it tastes good, not great but good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread